The Class E Network

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are also Mesh enabled Versions of APs from them, but they also have something like BT offers:

It's mesh I'm interested in, the BT option you plug the AP into your router then set up and configure via an app on your phone, unplug the AP from the router and plug into mains in your home then add another. This creates a mesh wireless with it's own SSiD (you can set your passkey), to me this is simple and straight forward. The amplifi is straightforward, plug the base into your router (which I assume you would disable the wifi) then plugin the 2 mesh ap's great piece of kit, but for £320 + to me it's not justifiable.

At school we use Ruckus which I have been trying to get the school to upgrade, it's getting old and it can struggle with connectivity when everything is in use, but it's still working, so until it dies then it will be changed.

• For Mesh its probably the best setup and forget you can get. As a prosumer I personaly would always try to have a wired uplink as this drastically increases the overall throughput on the wifi. But even replacing your routers wifi with an AC AP Pro boosts your wifi drastically and depending on the home, even one could suffice.

I'd say even the amplifi is well worth the 320 bucks, especially if having two wired APs (if those are even a neccessity) are not an option.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I finally got the temporary "rig" to work:
    The path now consists of a Belkin G-54 router (flashed with DD-WRT) <-> an Amped Wireless repeater N-300 (600mw) <-> to a TPLink (flashed with DD-WRT) configured as a wireless client bridge.

I was surprised to find that the sister-in-law had power in a shed, which also had a slightly better mid-point line-of-site. So I moved the repeater from an insulated window in her house, to the shed. The difference was profound - the link is solid. I can't help but be amazed at the attenuating effect of insulated glass on 2.4Ghz . Putting a wireless Ethernet device on the other side of insulated glass is like putting it behind sheet metal.

Still, while the local link is sound, the internet connection is terrible. She has satellite internet with a huge amount of latency. It appears to be a double sat-com hop (+600ms) and, if throughput is any indicator, the sub-net she's in is massively oversubscribed.

I'd say even the amplifi is well worth the 320 bucks,

With the issues in running consumer grade networking equipment, with marginal "just enough" performance, I think it's time to spend a few dollars for Ubiquity wifi at the new house. With @hoppel118 's endorsement, your mention of it, and a bit of research along the way, I haven't found anyone that's unhappy with it. As it seems to me, the GUI console alone is worth a good part of the purchase price.

The new house is already hardwired but I'm looking at wifi for a barn, a shed and a cabin with distances from the house ranging between 100 to 400'. Ubiquity's long range offerings seem to be a good choice.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't help but be amazed at the attenuating effect of insulated glass on 2.4Ghz . Putting a wireless Ethernet device on the other side of insulated glass is like putting it behind sheet metal.

That is interesting, TBH I have not tested wifi outside at our current house since we had replacement windows would be worth a test.

I still haven't decided about a mesh option, basically I don't need it, but it would extend the 5Ghz network downstairs, as most wireless kit we use is dual band this would be a bonus, it would also allow me to remove the powerplugs. Whilst these are Ok, they have an intermittent habit of disconnecting as one is upstairs and the other downstairs so they are on different circuits and therefore use the distribution board, not ideal but it works.

• With the issues in running consumer grade networking equipment, with marginal "just enough" performance, I think it's time to spend a few dollars for Ubiquity wifi at the new house. With @hoppel118 's endorsement, your mention of it, and a bit of research along the way, I haven't found anyone that's unhappy with it. As it seems to me, the GUI console alone is worth a good part of the purchase price.

The new house is already hardwired but I'm looking at wifi for a barn, a shed and a cabin with distances from the house ranging between 100 to 400'. Ubiquity's long range offerings seem to be a good choice.

I am still happy with my ubiquti unifi equipment. Didn’t have any wifi problems since the upgrade to unifi. It simply works. :)

I don’t use mesh or long distance connections. Every ap is hardwired ang is powered over ethernet.

My equipment:

1x Unifi Security Gateway
    2x Unifi Switch 8-150W
    3x Unifi AP AC Pro
    1x Unifi Controller LTS in a docker container running on my OMV4 server

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

it would also allow me to remove the powerplugs

You have power line Ethernet adaptors? I've noticed that surge suppression outlet strips and power panel mounted suppressors, can reduce their performance. The closer the suppressors are to the adapters, the greater the effect seems to be.

Along similar lines, at the new house, I got an interesting letter from my power company regarding internet access. They asked for the advertised speed from my provider and provided a link to a speed test server to measure actual throughput. With the only options being 15MBS DSL, with the phone company, or ridiculously expensive sat-com, I'd love to see more competition. The cool thing about power line broadband is that the infrastructure is already installed. It's just a matter of adding repeaters.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have power line Ethernet adaptors

Just 2, connects upstairs to downstairs, according to the software it's connecting around 200Mbps not great but it's enough to run Kodi downstairs and connect to OMV upstairs.

I have thought about running ethernet up to loft then down a boxed soil stack into the lounge, or upgrading the powerline adaptors, but I'm still getting drawn to the Mesh wifi option.

At school we're not using the mesh option on the Rukus as the system uses a zone director in the switch cabinet, each AP can off load to another. That is just too OTT for home use, whereas something like the BT option or the Amplifi would be more suitable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I threw another wifi router into the mix, on this side of the wireless bridge, so the wife can connect with her laptop. That's 4 devices. It works but it's a ridiculous rig of consumer junk. :rolleyes: It's temporary...

it's connecting around 200Mbps not great but it's enough to run Kodi downstairs and connect to OMV upstairs.

Unless one is trying to replicate a server or a share with video files, as in heavy duty file transfers, 100mbs is enough. I like 1G and, eventually, I'll I'll upgrade to 10G, but for the majority of common tasks 100mbs will do it.

Didn’t have any wifi problems since the upgrade to unifi. It simply works.

Back in the day, when a project "simply worked" (without the technical drama, fist wringing, emergency meetings, etc.) no one realized how hard it was to make it happen. A lot of attention to detail, read "difficult development work", goes into creating some that simply works. It's worth the extra premium.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have power line Ethernet adaptors?

My unifi AC pros are connected to my PoE switch - Netgear GS724TP

it's a ridiculous rig of consumer junk

I used to do that as well. Having the unifis is so much easier :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• With the issues in running consumer grade networking equipment, with marginal "just enough" performance, I think it's time to spend a few dollars for Ubiquity wifi at the new house. With @hoppel118 's endorsement, your mention of it, and a bit of research along the way, I haven't found anyone that's unhappy with it. As it seems to me, the GUI console alone is worth a good part of the purchase price.

Glad to hear back when you got your equipment. ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Glad to hear back when you got your equipment. ;)

In the middle of 2017. Why is this interesting for you? :)

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Offizieller Beitrag

In the middle of 2017. Why is this interesting for you? :)

I think he means after I buy and install Ubiquity equipment.
    That might take awhile. I've got to get power out to 2 of the 3 buildings.

• Offizieller Beitrag

TBH I have not tested wifi outside at our current house since we had replacement windows would be worth a test.

It will probably be fine. Wifi is going through three walls on the way to the repeater, at the sister-in-laws. (One of them is an exterior wall with a single brick veneer.) It should work, if you don't set the device right up against the insulated glass and put the 2nd device on the other side. Essentially, that's what I was doing.

On the other hand, English walls may consist of 6" of plaster and lath, 1 foot of stone and a 3 brick wall, with horse hair in-between for insulation,, so,, I don't know... :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

On the other hand, English walls may consist of 6" of plaster and lath, 1 foot of stone and a 3 brick wall, with horse hair in-between for insulation,, so,, I don't know...

I think the horse hair is not such a popular choice due to supply and demand :D mind you I'm surprised you didn't throw in a cob wall or two :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

About mesh units.

I have 3 ASUS Lyra WiFi mesh units. Works fine. And every unit has a couple of ethernet ports. The mesh units can combine the bandwidth so the speed becomes close to twice that between two units. Under optimal conditions (free sight, short distance) I get up to 60MB/s from my OMV NAS:es to a PC with the NAS (via a switch) and the PC both connected to a mesh unit via ethernet. Otherwise, directly to a client over WiFi I can't seem to get more than 30MB/s under optimal circumstances.

This is fast enough for me to skip cables all over the house.

I have one mesh unit on top of the book case where my NAS are, the living room. One where my desktop PC is, a "home office". And one in my bedroom. All as close as possible to each other but so that they fully cover the room they are in without obstructions. and they also cover the second floor pretty fine. Wood house...

Today I might have gone with the GL-iNet mesh units instead.

I also have a couple of GL-iNet travel routers here and there as access points for IoT stuff. AR150 with only 2.4GHz. They provide much better cover, but also much lower bandwidth.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's been awhile since I've posted here but, I built something new (mostly for the wife) that some might be interested in.

She wanted a greenhouse for winter vegetables (salad and others), to kick start seedlings, and to continue garden output in the winter months. Given the COVID19 nonsense and the notable breaks in the supply chain experienced last year, it seemed like a good idea past it's time.

I wanted to build a permanent green house from treated lumber (that I don't have yet) and tempered glass (that I do have) but the cost of lumber has doubled since last year. It's simply outrageously high and we didn't want to wait. So, I carefully took apart an old deck that is due to torn down and repurposed the treated lumber.

Here's the start of it:

At this point the lumber assembly is finished, I power washed it, the cattle panels are in place and clamped in, and it's ready to paint. Note that's a standard storm door (79") so the height is enough to walk in without bending over. (The window and door were cast offs from an upgrade years ago.) Mounting the window horizontally as high as possible, with the foundation vents as low as possible in the front, makes for great passive ventilation by convection. Also the front door area faces south which is where the breeze comes from in this valley. Both add up to a lot of ventilation on a warm sunny day.

It's almost finshed here. It lacks trim, detail paint and sealing for winter use, but it's functional.

Using the old deck's surface boards and cinder blocks that were here from past construction, we had terraced shelves built in about 30 minutes. Our tomato and pepper seedlings, which were started under grow lights, were looking far better after a day or two.

And that's the farm report...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Rather that pitch ugly but otherwise sound lumber and other out-of-date construction materials into the land fill, they were repurposed and we saved a good number of yankee bucks doing it. The stuff we had to buy totaled up to almost exactly $200 USD.

The following, which is less than 1/2 the size of our greenhouse, was listed on FaceBook Market Place as "will build" for $1200. There's LOT's of questionable engineering decisions going on here. No ventilation, can't be sealed (look at the top of the door), no anchors, load bearing issues, I could go on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've never seen anything like that over here, you either buy a greenhouse or a poly tunnel, as for that 'thing' on F'book Marketplace, some of the 'crap' I've see on there locally and the prices being asked. The sellers are obviously living in their own dream world, I keep an eye on the computer hardware, I looked at a Dell widescreen monitor, hardly used etc, etc. Fortunately they posted a number of images one of which was the manufacturing date (had to zoom in to see it) four years previous, searched for the monitor online, they were advertising for £20 less than a brand new one.

Oh, Home Office/Man Cave completed, new laminate floor (silver oak colour), new skirting, and a fresh coat of paint, Suzi's gonna make a new blind for the window, she sent the other one to cleaners and it appears to have shrunk :huh: she was not impressed.

Started getting orders in for the kitchen makeover, that will start arriving in the next two weeks. What has been an eye opener with this as I start the prep work without too much disruption is the 'bodge' work done my the builder which is cleverly hidden, until you start pulling things apart. I've found the under counter cupboard that the oven is in has been 'butchered' and a piece of 2x4 is supporting the back rear. Parts of the cornice have been 'let into' the wall rather than just simply cut it shorter, I have a feeling there are going to more surprises as we get further into the prep.

• Offizieller Beitrag

as for that 'thing' on F'book Marketplace, some of the 'crap' I've see on there locally and the prices being asked.

That's funny, and pretty much in line with my take on it. A fine example of crapmanship.

I kind of feel for anyone who buys it. The builder twisted the plastic sheets at the corners of the panels and tie-wrapped them there. Setting aside the fact that there's sharp metal studs as the edges of those panels, the tie-wraps mean there are "punctures" in both panels. With those two factors + high winds and temperature changes, well, I can't imagine how long the plastic skin will last.

new laminate floor (silver oak colour), new skirting, and a fresh coat of paint,

That sounds pretty good. It''s amazing what refurb'ing the surfaces can do for appearance. I leave the decisions on colors, coordinating, etc., to my wife. She's good at that. (I really have to give that to her. I can't envision things as well as she does.) I do most of the grunt work.

Suzi's gonna make a new blind for the window

Jeanie makes our curtains as well. Her work is far better than store bought and she uses much better material.

What has been an eye opener with this as I start the prep work without too much disruption is the 'bodge' work done my the builder which is cleverly hidden, until you start pulling things apart. I've found the under counter cupboard that the oven is in has been 'butchered' and a piece of 2x4 is supporting the back rear. Parts of the cornice have been 'let into' the wall rather than just simply cut it shorter, I have a feeling there are going to more surprises as we get further into the prep.

That's what the pro's do to save time and make money. There is something to be said about "out of sight - out of mind", but I just can't do it myself. I'll take the extra time to clean something up, even if it will be covered up. (95% of the time, the pro's know that something questionable won't be seen again, before a major renovation.)

On the other hand, there are a couple things I'm going to have to let a pro do, like a new roof for the old house, to save time. With a team, they can whip out a roof in a day, no more than two.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!