New install, nic not found, struggling to set up drivers...

• Hey people

I am having problems installing OMV onto my new hardware. I have been running OMV for multiple years now on my old gaming pc rocking a Intel C2D and 4gb of memory with minimal problems. The hardware has been flaky for the past year with os drive dying and motherboard settings not surviving a reboot. So now with a new job and some spending money I wanted to upgrade to something I could play with and that could take the next 10 years of home server abuse.

So I bought a Supermicro X11SSH-CTF thinking that anything from a company like Supermicro would be supported out of the box in debian or would be a minimal issue to fix. The board comes with a dual 10G nics from Intel and a IPMI port. In the install it prompts that there was no network device found and asks if I want to choose a driver. I choose the ixgbe driver from the list as directed by Intel for their X550-AT2 chipset but it is like there is nothing that happens, the question just pops up again asking what driver I want to install. This affects the end result like you would think, no way of getting the machine on the internet for downloading packages that might fix the issue.

I have googled my patience away and I turn to you people. I have followed many rabbit holes for the answer but always coming up short due to little knowledge, badly explained fixes, missing packages/dependencies or just not having a spare nic laying around.

What have I done to fix it until now?:
    -Installed newest OMV without a network device
    -Ran lspci and found two Ethernet controllers that are most likely the nics in question
    -Looked for drivers in .deb form
    -Downloaded and moved to the server the .tar file of the drivers from Intel in an attempt to install the drivers manually
    -Downloaded, moved and dpkg "make" in an attempt to make a .deb file out of the .tar driver files. (stopped due to kernel headers not matching)
    -Tried to understand all those new things... (a beginner/novice unix user)

If anyone has any advise or solutions to my problem it would be greatly appreciated, I am out of ideas and kinda spent after all that digging, great for learning but draining when prolonged. Thanks.

• What happens, when you install a pure debian?
    If that works, just put OMV on top.

Otherwise, post some logs, /etc/network/interfaces and stuff...

HTH

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Hei Dropkick Murphy

Tried it with newest Debian and same result, does not let me choose a driver after failing to detect the network adapter.

Can you point me to what logs/outputs would be relevant to this problem (not familiar to where things are to be found).

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Expensive NIC... Is it configured for FcoE? The Debian kernel might not have the kernel module available. Not sure which module it uses though?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hei ryecoaaron, you are here also, it is nice to see the big guns replying to my post.

Yes, I went a little overboard in the spending, but I wanted good equipment and some "futureproofness".

I don't know much about FcoE but according to the Intel site they say "Yes" to FcoE but I don't know if it is just something that it supports or is forced. It also says there that Linux kernel 4.x is supported what ever that means... Link to Intel X550-AT2

Thanks

• Hei subzero

Here you have the output as you requested. My limited understanding it looks like the nics are working and correct driver is installed... looks like the problem is somewhere else? I also forgot to mention that the activity leds on the nic do slowly blink but pinging 8.8.8.8 returns "network is unreachable", even pinging the router does not work.

Wild thought, might I be able to use the IPMI nic to get a temporary fix? Tried to dig around in the bios but did not find a way that looked like the answer. But at least I found out how the IPMI works and have it up and running.

Thanks

• If that is all I need to do then it sounds like a relatively easy fix, I am trying to google my way through it right now...

If you are asking for the subnet mask then it is the classic (I think) 255.255.255.0 according to the pc I am writing this on.

Thanks

• Aaaaand it looks like it worked, edited the interfaces file with nano in the /etc/network/ directory like it is explained here.

Now I am going to use the chance and set it up with a static ip address, learned it the irritating way last time that it is no fun having to sniff out your server every time you have to reboot and then edit all your bookmarks to the web clients of different services you have running.

Thanks a lot for the help people, I was starting to regret spending money ^^

• And the battle continues, not having the install going through the right way there are still some bugs and apt-get update/upgrade does not does not work as it should. It does not resolve the addresses and then fails to fetch from them as expected. Also in the web UI both the update tab and plugin tab are empty. I am guessing that some setup file is missing a DNS ip address for lookup so it does not know where to go... but I need to read a little more...

On a side note, is the web UI running in Java? It is not working as it should in Firefox for me but works in Chrome. Only difference I know of is that Firefox is limiting its Java capability.

Thanks

• So I continue to answer my self and ask new questions...

I added nameserver 8.8.8.8 to /etc/resolve.conf and apt-get update/upgrade worked along with the update/plugin tabs in web UI are not emty any more. But the resolve.conf file says that one should not edit it by hand as it will be overwritten... so my next problem is finding where the file that is going to overwrite resolve.conf is so that my changes become permanent.

Edit:
    Seeing subzero's answer, I will give it a try, had forgot that I could use the web UI to do these things... ||

Edit2:
    Followed subzero's advise and setup my nic under Network-Interfaces, it did not turn out well and now the web UI just spits out Error:An error has occurred message and the nic has vanished from the web UI and update/plugin tabs are empty. The problems continue.

Edit3:
    After restarting and logging into the web UI I got prompted to "apply the changes" or "revert" (I don't know what changes) but I clicked apply the first time around but now choosing to revert it looks like everything is working again. The nic is back and update/plugins are populated.

Thanks

• One last problem (reminder for myself) before I got to sleep. Ran apt-get update/upgrade through CLI earlier without problems although few packages were withheld that did not look important and I did not think about it. In web UI after importing OMV-extra I am not able to install any of the plugins and at the start updating gave the same error that has after a little wait gone away and updates have now gone through. This should probably be asked in the OMV-extra thread but I want to read before I post there and instead pollute my own thread.

• So the problem in a way still persists. The nic is up and running so I can use the webUI but I am struggling to find the right place to register the DNS nameserver so it can look up things it is looking for on the internet. I have put in nameserver 8.8.8.8 into resolv.conf but that gets overwritten every reboot. I tried setting up the nics separately in the webUI, both the one that is in use and unused one with fresh install in between, but that only threw errors my way and made the webUI unusable.

At the same time I have been battling with problem above where no plugins seem to be install-able and throws this dependency error. I see that this has been a problem before but none of the suggested fixes work for me, then I thought it was a nameserver problem and I had forgot to supply the resolv.conf with a new nameserver after a reboot, but still no dice. Followed these two posts here that have the same problem, here and here.

-apt clean in omv-extras
    -apt-get dist-upgrade
    -apt-get -f install
    -fresh install of omv

What to do, what to do?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Cmon is on the interface configuration scroll down below.
    Since you didn't have internet during install you should adjust this file

/etc/apt/sources.list

Should have this inside

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!