Installing OMV on a SSD

• Running OMV off of SSD drive. Connect via... 5

1. USB 3.0 to SATA (4) 80%
    2. USB 2.0 to SATA (1) 20%

Hello all. I'm going to be running OMV off of a SSD attached to my motherboard via a USB to SATA cable. My question is, will I notice a difference in performance if use a USB 3.0 to SATA cable over a USB 2.0? I'm guessing not (or negligible) but I figured I'd let the experts answer :) Thanks in advance.

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• @The Master - Das sollte übersetzt heißen "Im Vergleich zu"

Considering you also have a USB 3.0 port, definitely a USB 3.0 Case. As there are no real price differences anymore... But there will be only performance gains while booting as well as working with the Webinterface.

• The motherboard has USB 3.0 ports

@The Master - Das sollte übersetzt heißen "Im Vergleich zu"

Considering you also have a USB 3.0 port, definitely a USB 3.0 Case. As there are no real price differences anymore... But there will be only performance gains while booting as well as working with the Webinterface.

Ah ok. I kind of figured since the OS loads and pretty much runs from RAM that the performance difference would be negligible once booting completes. I have both a 2.0 and a 3.0 to USB, so I was going to just be cheap and use the 2.0 and keep the 3.0 cable laying around for backups and such.

If is going to be ssd via USB make sure the port is 3.0 and the adapter has uasp support. I have one of those cables and doing testing with an mx200 the USB transfer reached 220MB/s.
    Those adapters sell for 25-30 dollars in amazon. You can get hd cages also with uasp support.

Hmm. I purchased one off of amazon that claims to have uasp support. When I copy large files to an external HDD, I only get speeds of around 50-70MB/s. I guess that's normal for a HDD though right?

Thanks for your reply guys. I'll go with the 3.0 cable :)

Case: U-NAS NSC-810
    Motherboard: ASRock - C236 WSI Mini ITX
    CPU: Core i7-6700
    Memory: 32GB Crucial DDR4-2133

• Offizieller Beitrag

That must be really old laptop drive, usually external portables 2.5" USB 3.0 do 110MB/s to 130MB/s not sure if they are uasp those. Anyway dmesg outputs immediately after plug if device had support for uas. You need a bpo kernel in Debian Jessie. Uasp support was disabled in the default kernel.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!