HP Proliant Microserver gen 8 + ODD + OMV-2 vs OMV-3

• Hello evrybody,

Let me tell u first my aim with HP Gen8.It wil be used as a SIMPLY DLNA streaming NAS.
    With a hard drives in a JBOD/Linear mode.The reason here for is that i have one 4Tb HDD and as he get full of data than another HDD shall be add...and so on.
    Now, on forum i found there is an plugin called "AUFS or Mhddfs 32bit" who merge different format HDD`s in one POOL(still i don`t know is this only 4 HDDs at once or is it possible for my sollution 1HDD at momment ? ).

At this momment i`m trying for several weeks to make grub boting up from usb on OMV2.

And there is OMV3 beta who should resolve my (novice problems with a CLI) problem with a GRUB and boot up from usb(+ODD).

My question would be about OMV 3 :

Is OMV3 "enough" stable to be used as a simply streaming dlna nas in your opinion ?

And is there an AUFS plugin in 64bit version?

• It's very stable I am using a microserver with docker for my media needs if you look at my previous posts somewhere you will find the link for setting up boot from usb that I used on mine. Be aware that I had problems with booting from an SD card and using the same as card for os installation, I went back to SD card for boot and ssd for os installation

Sent from my UMI SUPER using Tapatalk

• The plugin is called union filesystems and it implements mergerfs. It will work fine with one since and will allow you to add me drives as you go.

OMV 3 is stable, and both the union filesystems and mini DLNA plugins are available on it.

• Hi guy`s me again!

There is something wrong?
    I have been watching install of OMV3(via virtual machine) on youtube.
    And during installation where a moment on screen with asking "where to install a Grub"(in my case should be an usb stick or micro sd card)?

But during my install i did not encouter that screen?!

Did i do anything wrong or "that screen" is only for virtual machine`s enviroment?

• Pffffff i made IT !!!!!

Still, i don`t feel satisfaction rather beaten to death.

The link u have provided did worked ONLY after THIS manual(for future novices/beginners):

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Flash-Memory-HOWTO/ext2.html

LSBLK - great command to find out a name of your SD-USB stick(4 beginners).

Also MUST be NOTED that a SD or USB stick IF is in Dos{MBR} (in my case after option "p" stud among other info) must HAVE "BOOT" flag(this is what i add after all thing i have done and seeing not working - finaly on boot up of HP Gen 8 did manage sd->ssd+hdd).
    If is it in GPT or whatever the name is for linux....there is no need to set up a BOOT flag(i presume & not willing to check it out).

Now,i have the last of the last of us the question:

Is the SD card "pure reading device" who is sending booting grub to ssd?
    OR
    Is there ANY i/o , read of course & write on SD communicateing with SSD?

This is because of reading on internet about durability of SD card against USB stick.
    At this moment i would rather stick with SD,but if is it necessary i may load up my guts in not so distant time to make exchange.

Tnx,tnx,tnx....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!