Connection to OMV remotely -- Data & Media

• Hoping some folks can help me. I read up on this thread here:
    Connection to OMV from outside

... but this is my first NAS and I have some gaps in my knowledge on what I should/need to do next in order to connect remotely using a computer or cell phone (for the media part). Less interested in managing the NAS remotely (using the web login to access OMV) but more interested in accessing the files and streaming media.

Current situation:
    * I've got DuckDNS setup and a static IP
    * I've got Plex installed on my OMV (haven't subscribed to their premium service, though, for remote connection)
    * I've enabled FTP
    * ClamAV installed

I'm not sure what next steps there are to take and how to keep my data secure. I'm not as familiar with opening ports and ensuring I have security up to snuff to make a move without a bit of help; I have subscribed to PrivateInternetAccess VPN and have heard that using VPN will help protect data when you've opened up your NAS for remote connections, but again, not sure how this looks.

Help with next steps would be appreciated! thank you!

diznanl 8)

TS140 70A4 - Xeon E3-1225V3 3.2 GHz - 4 GB ECC RAM - 5 WD Red 3 TB HDD

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von diznanl ()

• I have OpenVPN configured on my OMV NAS for access to my home network and anything connected to my home network. It's very easy to setup with an OMV plugin and has an Android app, Windows client and native support in most Linux distros. I connect from all three and it works perfectly.

I don't access my media remotely (although it would work over OpenVPN if I'm connected via a sufficiently fast connection) but I have the Plex port open so my parents can stream media from my house. Plex just needs the port open, remote access enabled on the server side and then you can grant access to an email address associated with a plex.tv account. You don't need sub for their premium service if you are streaming to Chromecast, smart TV or PC, I think only for phone. I have two accounts setup and both allow for unlimited streaming from TV/PC devices.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!