S.M.A.R.T

• I have an Openmediavault server with 3 drives installed and they are setup as
    /dev/sda - Hitachi HDS72103 - temperature 29 Celsius
    /dev/sdb - ST4000DM000-1F21 - temperature 30 Celsius
    /dev/sdc - ST4000DM000-1F21 - temperature 30 Celsius

I enabled Storage > S.M.A.R.T
    General Settings
    Check interval: 1800
    Power Mode: Never

Temperature Monitoring
    Difference: 0
    Informal: 0
    Critical: 0

Question 1: what the value numbers should I set for Difference, Informal and Critical? What is your recommendation according to your experience?
    Question 2: Is it recommended to use S.M.A.R.T at all?

Thank you a lot

• Can you please share your knowledge based on your experience? What the value numbers should I set for Difference, Informal and Critical?
    I never use S.M.A.R.T so I am looking forward for your respond.

Thank you

• Well I cannot really help you with the temperatures, because it is really what you define as an acceptable temperature for your hard drives. Something to keep in mind though, is that a drive shouldn't really get any hotter than 50 degrees Celsius.
    If you want a suggestion, I would say to set the critical temperature at around 45-50 degrees.

However, as for using SMART, it would be smart (pun not intended) to leave it on as it can act as an early indicator one of your drives is about to fail. I've recently experienced this myself. Detecting those errors early can help prevent you losing data.
    There isn't really any downside to leaving SMART enabled however.

• I did set the critical temperature at 45 degrees, I left the informal at 0 degrees and the difference at 0 (if 0 then it means this is disabled)

Not sure I did it right but I left these settings for now and I will check the log file for the next few days to see how it is reporting...

Thank you

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!