Hide folders

• Hello there,

i would like to know if it's possible to hide a folder on OVM, only a specefic user could enter when typing his account.

If it is possible could you respond the easiest way so that i could understand.

Thanks , :thumbup:

• You could hide all folders (browsable->no). The specific user needs to know the name of the share to mount it.

The other way is to keep all shares visible but set strict permissions.

I prefer strong permissions.

You could try

hide unreadable = yes

in configuration.

Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought.
    It always defeats order, because it is better organized.
    Terry Pratchett

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von riff-raff ()

• You could hide all folders (browsable->no). The specific user needs to know the name of the share to mount it.

Can you tell me where it is. I can't find it, sorry i'm still a beginner :P

• hide unreadable = yes

should be set in Samba main configuration, in the last field "Extra Options" or so.

Terry Pratchett

• Reference

as ryecoaaron and subzero79 said: this option hides only subfolders within a share for which the particular user has no permissions.

Stick to the permission settings; your users will see all shares, but can only access the ones they have appropriate permissions for.

If you really want to hide a share, you have to hide it from all users with

browsable = no

The share can still be mounted by users with appropriate permissions, but it will no longer show up in your network. The user needs to know the exact name of the share to mount it.

Terry Pratchett

• You can't browse the folder directly.

On a Windows machine, go to Computer/Workplace -> Add network location or map network drive -> provide path to your share.

should be something like this:

\\ip_of_your_nas\share

Example:

\\192.168.1.1\music

You probably see your NAS in network places, but can't see the share. Just add a backslash and the name of the particular share.

Terry Pratchett

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!