Backup Docs OMV to windows folder

• Hello people,

I started using OMV a few months ago and recently I arrived at the OMV Forum.

I was looking for help to my problem on OMV forum, but I was confused.

I want to create an automatic backup system (30min - 30min) from my OMV (shared folder = /Teste) to my Windows 7 Pro (shared folder = /Rede/backupOMV).

What's the best choice: Scheduled Jobs or Rsync?

Scheduled Jobs:
    time = Certain date
    Minute = 30
    Hou = *
    Day of month = *
    Month = *
    Day of week = *
    User = Socorro (the same on my Windows 7)
    Command = rsync -ahv /Teste Socorro@192.168.0.3:/Rede/backupOMV

The directory '/home/Socorro/.ssh' could not be created.
    Host key verification failed.
    Rsync: connection closed unexpectedly (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    Rsync Error: Unexplained Error (Code 255) in io.c (605) [Sender = 3.0.9]

After this I try with Rsync:
    Type = Remote
    Mode = Push
    Source shared folder = Teste [on DADOS, Teste/]
    Destination server = Socorro@192.168.0.3:Rede/backupOMV
    Password = the same of Windows 7
    Minute = 30
    Hour = *
    Day of month = *

Please wait, syncing </media/7c883b3f-ff3f-4928-af1f-8b3413a61edf/Teste//> to <Socorro@192.168.0.3:Rede/backupOMV> ...
    xplained error (code 255) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]

I instaled SSH (Moba SSH Server Home 1.60) on Windows 7 and I tryed the connection through other linux station and the SSH service worked fine.

Whats wrong betwen comunication OMV and Win7?

Others Informations:
    OMV = 192.168.0.27
    Win7 = 192.168.0.3
    Port 22 free on firewall (windows)

Greetings.

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    CPU: G2030 3.00GHZ
    RAM: 2GB
    =====================
    =====================

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you don't want to put an Rsync server / client on your Windows 7 client, you'll need to use the "remote Mount" plugin. This plugin will allow you to connect to a Windows share, with a user name and password. Then you can "share" the remotely mounted Windows share, on OMV, as if it was a local drive.

I use Rsync in a similar manner. With the remount mount plug in, I do "local" Rsync Jobs with the source (windows) and a destination directory on OMV. I'm Rsync'ing 10 shares in this way. (And, yes, if the user name and password for the windows share has "write access" you can push an Rsync job the other way, and write into the Windows share.

First, what version of OMV are you using and do you have OMVExtra's installed?

• My current version is 2.2.14 Stone Burner, but I am thinking to change for V3.

Can I change through Update System or I must download the V3 iso?

The V3 version is stable or demo?

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    =====================
    =====================

• Offizieller Beitrag

My current version is 2.2.14 Stone Burner, but I am thinking to change for V3.

Can I change through Update System or I must download the V3 iso?

The V3 version is stable or demo?

I'm using V3 but it is still considered to be a beta. However, it's closing in on the "stable" designation. Most of what remains, as I understand it, is shaking out V3's plugins.
    It's your call but V2 stone burner will not be getting updated plugins or other OMV support. Those plugins in use now will slowly age out.

If you're going to use V3. Download it and build it from scratch. It's cleaner than trying to do a command line version upgrade. When you finish the build and updates, you'll need to install OMVExtras to get the Remote Mount plugin.

To get the plugin, OMVextras, click the link following to download the file.

**For OMV 3.x (erasmus) only - omv-extras.org/openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all3.deb

Put the file on your desktop.

From the OMV Web GUI, in the <SYSTEM>, <PLUGINS> window, click on "Upload". Browse to the downloaded file, click on it, and OK. (I know this is an odd way to install a plugin. However, you'll only have to do it once.)

Now, you'll have omvextrasorg 3.4.25 available in the plugins window. Install it. Once it's installed, on the left hand side of the OMV GUI, you'll see <OMV-Extras> under the <SYSTEM> menu. Click on it. Make sure you have the top 2 repo's
    enabled, OMV-Extra's "Stable" and "Testing". Save the changes.

After that,, your plugins window will be populated with a lot more plugins that, previously, were not available. At this point, you'll
    have access to the openmediavault-remotemount 3.0.10. Install it.

I'll stop here for now. Let me know if / when you get the above done and I'll try to walk you through setting up network shares, Rsync, and what's necessary on the Windows end of it. (Note that I go out of town, frequently, for a few days at a time. I'll reply when I can.)

• Is OMV V3 still a beta product?

Go to the post and see the image that shows the OMV as 3.0beta.
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…est-stable-version-where/

But today the same page on Sourceforge shows differently.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/openmediavault/files/

It is now showing 2 OMV versions: 3.0 and 3.0.79.

Nothing is told about beta archives.

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    =====================
    =====================

• Offizieller Beitrag

You're welcome.

For a flexible and easy to use NAS solution, you're in the right place. For reasons I don't fully understand, OMV doesn't get anywhere near the recognition it deserves.

After you get the Remote Mount Plugin installed:
    1. In the plugin, note the user name and password fields. The username / password you supply must be a Windows user where the Windows share is being hosted and have "write" access to the share. For this purpose, I setup a user called "backup" and assigned a unique password to it.

2. After the above, if it's successful, the windows share will look like a local hard drive. Set up an OMV share using the windows hard drive as the device. Unless you're using a sub-dir in the share, the path to the windows share will be "/". (I.E. the root of the share.) Then set up another share, on a local OMV folder (you called it teste).

3. Rsync the two shares with the source being on OMV and with the destination being the Windows share. (The schedule in the Rsync job can be as frequent as you like.)

In the basics, that's it. If you need details and / or screen shots, let me know.

• Hello guys

1- I built a new OMV3.

2- I created a shared folder on OMV3 called "OMV".

3- I created a shared folder called "Rede" on my Win7 machine.

4- I mounted the shared folder "Rede" (Win7) with the name "Backup" with the Remote Mount Plugin:
    Mount Type: SMB/CIFS
    Name: Backup
    Server: 192.168.0.3
    Share: Rede
    Username: the same of Win7
    Password: the same of Win7
    Options: _netdev,iochartset=utf8

Works fine...

Now I want send my files from OMV3 (Folder "OMV") to Win7 (Folder "Backup" mounted with Remote Mount Plugin)

* I tryed with RSYNC but appears the message:

Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-id-wwn-0x6002248036558b359ad18651c680841b-part1/OMV/> to <Socorro@192.168.0.3:/Rede> ...

Host key verification failed.
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]

* After that I tryed too with SCHEDULED JOBS and appears the message:

First message:
    Could not create directory '/home/Socorro/.ssh'.

Second message:
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C; export SHELL=/bin/sh; sudo --shell --non-interactive --user=Socorro -- rsync -ahv /OMV Socorro@192.168.0.3:/Rede/ 2>&1' with exit code '12': Could not create directory '/home/Socorro/.ssh'. Host key verification failed. rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [sender=3.1.1]

Whats wrong with my attemps?

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    =====================
    =====================

• There may be no blank spaces:

Username: the_same_of_Win7
    Password: the_same_of_Win7

No no no...

This is not my password.

This means that the password is the same on the OMV and on the Win7 machine.

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    =====================
    =====================

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here are a few things to try:

First:
    The following doesn't look right to me. Did you change Rsync settings? Remember, if you use "Rsync" with the "Remote Mount" Plugin, when setting up the job, the "type" should be "local".

Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-id-wwn-0x6002248036558b359ad18651c680841b-part1/OMV/> to <Socorro@192.168.0.3:/Rede> ...

Second:
    The first message you mentioned appears to be the result of OMV attempting to create directory structure recursively, in the Windows share. While I'm not an rsync expert (by any stretch of the imagination) the second message appears to be related to a permissions issue. (In nearly all cases like this, it's usually some sort of permissions issue.)

In your first scenario, while the remote mount plugin makes it "appear to be local", from a permissions point of view, you're doing a "pull" operation from the Windows machine. In that case the "backup" user (and password) would need a minimum of "read" access to the Windows share. ("Write" access would be better, to prevent errors during set up.)

In the second scenario, you're "pushing" files from OMV to Windows. To do that, the backup user (or whatever you're naming it) must have "write" access to the Windows share, at the absolute minimum, and it might be required to give it "full control".

-- To be sure that you have the basic set up right, do the same routine that you did in the first scenario that worked. Add a few sample files on the Windows side and "pull" them to OMV. (That checks rsync settings, the basic connection, etc.) Then swap out the source and destination, in rsync, but leave the rest of it the same. Delete the sample files on the Windows side, and see if you can push them back. Again, to push files to Windows, note that it may be required to give the user you're using for this, "Full Control".

Third:
    To enable true "Full Control", it may also be necessary (on the Windows end) to go into the shared directory's "properties", "security". Your user should have "Full Control". Then click on your backup user and the "advanced" button. With your user highlighted - click on "change permissions" and check the box that says "Replace all child objects permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and "OK". (This will force "full control" permissions for your backup user down to all sub-directories created below the top level share.)

• Hello people,

Scheduled backup is working well with Remote Mount + RSYNC (Local).

Step by step:
    1- I created a new Shared Folder (Access Rights Management) called PastaBackupOMV.
    Name = PastaBackupOMV
    Device = Backup [62.65 GiB (67%) used, 31.27 GiB available] <--- (Remote Mount Folder)
    Path = PastaBackupOMV/

2- I created a new RSYNC job.
    Type = Local
    Source Shared Folder = OMV [on /dev/sdb, OMV/]
    Destination Shared Folder = BackupBackupOMV [on Backup, PastaBackupBackupOMV/]
    Minute = 5
    Time = *
    Day of the month = *
    Mounth = *
    Day of the week = *

I'm doing tests with 5-5 minutes and it's working fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions and for the help I had here. :thumbup:

=====================
    =====================
    OMV 2.2.14 Stone Burner
    =====================
    =====================

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von caseoli ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!