Slow Samba, Fast FTP

• Hey guys this is my 1st post on the Forum, i hope its in the right area.

I have been running Freenas perfectly for the last 18 months, i have just installed OMV3 on the same machine and am having Samba performance issues.

Board: Asrock G41C-GS
    CPU: Core2 Duo E7500
    4GB DDR3 Ram (Tried 8GB on OMV with no performace change, always ran 8GB with Freenas)
    3x 1TB 2.5" sata hdd's, seperate no raid (all can read/write over 100MB/sec, used with Freenas)
    Onboard Realtek Gigabit Lan (am currently running an Intel based PCI-e 1Gb Lan card with no difference)

Samba Read from OMV to My PC SSD copys at 110MB/sec for a few seconds then drops to about 30-40MB/s untill finished, CPU usage 95%, Load Avg 3~6 & Wait-IO on OMV shows VERY high, PC to OMV is much faster at a constant 110MB/s and about 60% cpu.

FTP read & write is constant 100ish MB/s with about 50% cpu load.

I have tried MOST of the Samba tuning tweaks (max smb2 etc etc) with the same result every time, also as above i am trying an Intel PCI-e Lan card with the same exact result, Freenas on this same setup was always Reading & Writing at 105MB/s with very low CPU & Load Avg, Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance :)

• You did not mention, but I bet you use OMV3 ? :rolleyes:
    Edit: You did mention it, sorry...

Now you know, why I use OMV2...had the same issue.

--
    Get a Rose Tattoo...

HP t5740 with Expansion and USB3, Inateck Case w/ 3TB WD-Green
    OMV 5.5.23-1 Usul i386|4.19.0-9-686-pae

• Offizieller Beitrag

32 or 64 bit OMV?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I miss the information which filesystem on the HDDs is (but assume ZFS since FreeNAS mentioned). While I'm not aware of any OMV/ZFS issues (just since I'm somewhat an OMV noob still) in case it's possible I would suggest a simple test with another filesystem be it either ext4 or btrfs.

Since you're on OMV3 you can easily 'apt install iozone3' to test locally the storage with iozone too.

• I miss the information which filesystem on the HDDs is (but assume ZFS since FreeNAS mentioned). While I'm not aware of any OMV/ZFS issues (just since I'm somewhat an OMV noob still) in case it's possible I would suggest a simple test with another filesystem be it either ext4 or btrfs.

Since you're on OMV3 you can easily 'apt install iozone3' to test locally the storage with iozone too.

EXT4 with OMV, have also tried the other formats with no difference, you would think if its a slow HDD or file system issue FTP would also be slow & variable too?

• Just done a fresh install of 2.1 and done updates to version 2.2.14, i thought everything was fixed, the 1st couple of Read & Writes were solid at 80-110MB/s, but now Reading (OMV to PC) has issues again, starting at 110 and quickly dropping to 40ish until finished, same as OMV3, The CPU, Load Avg & Wait-IO on 2.2.14 is ALOT lower now though.

I have tried:
    A different client PC for testing (windows 7 i3 laptop)
    Tried a direct Cat6 cable from OMV to Client PC to eliminate switches, wiring etc.
    Installed a 240GB SSD for storage to test.
    Two different NIC's (Onboard Realtek, PCI-e Intel)
    Various OMV samba Tweaks & fresh reinstalls of OMV

I have even installed OMV on a completely different machine (Haswell CPU, 8GB DDR3, Intel NIC & ssd for storage with the exact same behaviour..

What is going on?

I really want to stay with OMV, i prefer the UI & the ease of use but Freenas was always consistantly fast (even with ZFS on this same machine!)

• you would think if its a slow HDD or file system issue FTP would also be slow & variable too?

Not necessarily since on the fileserver different NAS daemons might interact differently with filesystem semantics at the VFS layer (I noticed that stuff when comparing Samba with Netatalk performance a while ago). The high %iowait values let me thought about that but if it's the same with ext4 then that's not an issue.

Wrt Samba vs. FTP. In both cases you tested not only the server but also the client and Windows Explorer and FileZilla might behave differently (eg. Explorer trying to flush data to disk faster than FileZilla caching as much as possible in RAM, something Sysinternals Process Explorer could tell). I usually use Helios LanTest since this tool eliminates the client's storage behaviour but since you said you also exchanged the client I'm out of ideas :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

64bit, OMV3 is only 64bit..?

Nope. OMV 3.x doesn't have a 32bit ISO but it works just fine on 32bit systems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok i have made some progress, throughout all my OMV drama i have done the odd test using CrystalDiskMark and noticed good speeds (115MB/s Seq R/W) so i thought i would make a Ram Disk to eliminate the clients HDD or SSD speed..

And sure enough now my speeds are really good, on single large files i can send them either way at a consistent 105-110MB/s :)

So next i installed a 2.5" WD Blue Sata drive into my PC to use as a target and im getting the same good speeds as the Ram Disk :) , but to the SSD gets slow and variable.

I never really questioned my pc's SSD as its a Brand New Sandisk 240GB, and CrystalDiskMark shows Seq read: 520MB/s, Seq Write: 230MB/s, but for some reason after 10-20sec continuous writing it breaks down..

Also my laptop client has a slow HDD (about 60-70MB/s) so that threw a spanner in the works.

After making this progress with OMV 2.2.14, i thought i would go back to OMV 3.0.81 and try it.
    Samba speeds are fixed now with a different target but still not as fast as 2.2.14, CPU & Load Avg are still VERY high im OMV3, Even rebooting OMV3 makes the Load Avg hit about 4! (OMV2.2.14 about 0.9)

So i am going to stick with 2.2.14 untill i see OMV3 running better on another Core2 Duo test rig i have.

Thanks to everyone that helped me. :thumbup:

• I never really questioned my pc's SSD as its a Brand New Sandisk 240GB, and CrystalDiskMark shows Seq read: 520MB/s, Seq Write: 230MB/s, but for some reason after 10-20sec continuous writing it breaks down..

Pretty normal for cheap consumer SSDs ;) Weird samba performances

That's why I always recommend testing only with Helios LanTest since this eliminates client storage bottlenecks. And we now have the confirmation that Windows Explorer tries to immediately slugh to disk while FileZilla caches as much as possible in RAM (it was never about FTP vs. SMB but different client application behaviour).

The concept of average load especially in Linux is both weird and mostly not understood. But since you suffer from high avg load (on Linux %iowait adding to this) I would really start with some investigations (iozone, iostat and iotop are great for this)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!