Can't write to smb share, can only read

• I am having difficulty setting up my samba shares. I can see all the files on my drives, but I can't write to them. I tried reset permissions, and that didn't work.

Here's how I setup the reset permissions:

Here are the groups my user are in:

SMB/CIFS settings:

SMB/CIFS Shares:

Settings of one of the Shares:

Shared Folders:

Reset Permission Settings I Used:
    '
    All the shares show up, but I can only write to homes. I can read from the others.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is a bad idea to have your regular user in most of those groups (root, shadow, operator, staff, avahi, crontab, openmediavault).

Also, don't use the root folder (/) in your shared folder setup. It is always going to be owned by root and will just cause problems like this.

Watch the full install video for help as well.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It is a bad idea to have your regular user in most of those groups (root, shadow, operator, staff, avahi, crontab, openmediavault).

Also, don't use the root folder (/) in your shared folder setup. It is always going to be owned by root and will just cause problems like this.

Watch the full install video for help as well.

Why is it a bad idea to have them in those groups?

What is the best way to share an entire drive over smb then? Can I change the ownership of the root folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why is it a bad idea to have them in those groups?

Because it is bad to give a regular user every privilege on the box. This is why the root user and sudo package exist. One of the first mistakes people new to Linux make is giving more open permissions when they can't get something to work right.

What is the best way to share an entire drive over smb then? Can I change the ownership of the root folder?

Put everything in a subfolder and share that folder. There is no reason to share the root directory of the drive. You can create additional shared folders that subfolders two levels deep.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hey everybode,

I've exactly the same problem, however I'm not sharing the root folder at all. I'm sharint /home.

Everybody has read and write access. However if I login to samba share in Windows 7 I only have read access and can't create new files and folders.

Also a new user was created with permissions to read and write the /home folder.

• Hey, sorry for the double post.

I'm using a Raspberry Pi 1 with the correct OMV Image working as a NAS system. I have the obove mentionend problems with an WLAN stick connected per USB to the Pi, without WLAN and using the LAN adapter, everything works fine so far. So I found a workaround for me by the way.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hey, have the same problem. Any solve yet?

This thread is from 5 years ago. I guess your problem will be a little different...

• Offizieller Beitrag

it's a VFAT, how do i change it?

Pretty sure you'd have to format it.

Edit: Your groups on that user are a bit reckless. If you're going to let a user do everything, you might as well just use root for everything. It's just as bad.

• Seems like nobody replied with a verifiable solution all these years, so here is my simple fix for OMV 6.

OMV probably required root to take ownership of the drive or partition before it can be shared but it doesn't do that properly with some pre-formatted drives even with ext4, so try this if you can with a previously formatted partition if you can afford to erase it. Go to the terminal or SSH:

Code
    lsblk
    sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda4

lsblk will list the disks and partitions and then choose your correct partition carefully

sudo mkfs will in this case format the sda4 partition with ext4 format.

Now the folders in this part should be shareable if you try sharing to 'everyone' for example. Once you got it to work, change everyone to what users and admin you want to share with.* **

* for some reason, you have to use \\hostname.local if you want to get to the hostname shared drive under Windows 10 file explorer address bar. This has been described by others.

** Once all the partitions which were previously formatted has been newly formatted by the current OMV root and new shares created with the new partitions, Win10 can now recognize \\hostname instead of hostname.local.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von solos () aus folgendem Grund: clarified and new observation.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!