UPS board for Raspberry Pi 3?

• Hi,

I still working on my OMV NAS, built on Raspberry pi 3 and two USB disk, one with power and the second usb powered.
    I was wondering if you have any suggestion/opinion on adding a Raspberry Pi UPS board and wich one.
    And what happens in caso on Blackout?

Cheers

L

• And what happens in caso on Blackout?

Most of these UPS boards for Raspberries are a joke since you have no way to check if you're running on battery or not. Adding to that using an RPi 3 as a NAS is a joke too since way too slow (Fast Ethernet and everything -- Ethernet and all 4 USB ports -- are connected via an internal USB hub to the one single USB2 connection every Raspberry suffers from).

If you want to have 4 times the NAS performance and a sane UPS solution then better get an Olimex Lime2 and the largest battery Olimex is selling. The circuitry on Lime2 uses step-up converters so an attached SATA disk as well as USB consumers like a bus-powered disk still run if the whole device is on battery.

The Lime2 we have at customers combined with the 6600mAh battery and 2.5" Samsung/Seagate Spinpoint run over 20h on battery. And since you have battery parameters under control (everything available through sysfs) you can write a control script that safely shuts the board down when battery runs low.

Further information:

• Most of these UPS boards for Raspberries are a joke since you have no way to check if you're running on battery or not. Adding to that using an RPi 3 as a NAS is a joke too since way too slow (Fast Ethernet and everything -- Ethernet and all 4 USB ports -- are connected via an internal USB hub to the one single USB2 connection every Raspberry suffers from).
    If you want to have 4 times the NAS performance and a sane UPS solution then better get an Olimex Lime2 and the largest battery Olimex is selling. The circuitry on Lime2 uses step-up converters so an attached SATA disk as well as USB consumers like a bus-powered disk still run if the whole device is on battery.

The Lime2 we have at customers combined with the 6600mAh battery and 2.5" Samsung/Seagate Spinpoint run over 20h on battery. And since you have battery parameters under control (everything available through sysfs) you can write a control script that safely shuts the board down when battery runs low.

Further information:

Hi, thank you for your precise reply.

So, the bottom line is you suggesting to change board?
    I'll look into that.
    Any beginenr tutorial for building omv around the suggested board?

cheers

L

• So, the bottom line is you suggesting to change board?

Well, if you're after sane UPS functionality then I would recommend such a Gigabit Ethernet equipped Lime2 since here it's really just adding a battery and you're done. NAS performance is multiple times faster than with any Raspberry Pi (see first link above) and OMV is ready to be installed (2nd link, choose the appropriate variant for Lime2, the eMMC equipped board has also another Gigabit Ethernet PHY so we provide two different images for this board)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!