Please help!!! Broke OMV

• Hi Guys,

I am very new to OMV, Linux (and NAS) In general so please excuse my ignorance!

I have a Rpi3 connected to a Seagate 1TB external HD I would like to use as a NAS. Over the weekend, I successfully got Samba and DLNA to work on a NTFS formatted drive. Well, after realizing how painfully slow transfers are (1MB/second) and reading about how much quicker EXT4 is, I decided to start over from scratch.

Last night, I formatted the external storage drive as EXT4, formatted the SD card and reflashed OMV (just to have a fresh start). I did get it to work UNTIL I attempted to create a subfolder on the shared network drive from within Windows 10. It allowed me to create the folder but then about 10 seconds later, OMV became completely unresponsive. I could no longer access the network drive OR log into the system with my browser. I rebooted my Pi and now OMV is completely unresponsive….I still cannot access the drive or log into OMV via browser, putty or WinSCP. What did I do????? =(

I apologize for my ignorance but is the problem that Windows 10 doesn’t ‘play well’ with the EXT4 file system, therefore I can’t create subfolders from within Windows? Do I have to do this from OMV? Isn’t SMB supposed to allow me to use Windows with this file system?

Thank you so much for any input you can give me…I was so frustrated last night! :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

after realizing how painfully slow transfers are (1MB/second) and reading about how much quicker EXT4 is, I decided to start over from scratch.

This has nothing to do with the filesystem. The RPi is just slow since it has 100MB networking that is on a shared USB bus with the drive.

the problem that Windows 10 doesn’t ‘play well’ with the EXT4 file system

Windows talks to samba. Windows has no idea what filesystem you are using underneath it.

What RPi image did you use? Are you sure your RPi is getting enough power? Is the external drive powered by the RPi or something else?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If I was using external devices I'd recommend getting a powered usb hub. NTFS should only be used with OMV on a temporary basis to move data. Long term you should be using ext4 or xfs.

• Thank you guys! the Rpi version is OMV_3_0_79_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.35.7z.

I read that NTFS should only be used for backup purposes and I do plan on using OMV long term so that is part of the reason why I switched to EXT4. The external HD is not powered but I didn’t have any ‘power’ issues or crashes over the span of 2 days while the HD was formatted as NTFS. That leads me to believe it’s probably a problem with the file system or SD card image.

One more stupid question, does it matter how I format the drive and how OMV uses it? For example, can I format it as NTFS (within Windows) but tell OMV to utilize a EXT4 file system or do I need to do the ‘wipe drive’ option from within OMV if I change file formats?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I didn’t have any ‘power’ issues

Maybe the system is doing more now?

it’s probably a problem with the file system or SD card image.

Always possible. Was it a new SD card?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• You guys have been extremely helpful so far…thank you for your time and expertise!!!

The SD card is about a year old, so it SHOULD be in decent shape. On my next try, I’m going to try a different SD card to rule that out…I’m not ruling out power issues at all, but I suspect it has to do with the new EXT4 format or maybe I downloaded a bad image?

Another thing that confuses me, I am trying to create 5 different folders as the file system to organize information (movies, music, personal information...etc) OMV asks me what I want to use as the path to these shared folders on the drive…the drive is blank so I don’t have any path to reference? I’ve been using ‘Backup’ as a reference point on the drive since it’s making me put in something. I’m not sure how to create 5 shared folders….What I did before was just create one folder then used Windows later on to create subfolders. Since I’ve switched to EXT4, it seems to kill OMV whenever I attempt to do that from within Win10…

• Offizieller Beitrag

new EXT4 format or maybe I downloaded a bad image?

I doubt ext4 is causing the problem but maybe it is still formatting (see ext4 lazy init) putting a higher load on the system. Did you use etcher to write the SD card?

• maybe I downloaded a bad image?

MD5 hash of the uncompressed image is 4adfa95b7bfbf08049176df358abc4ac so this is the first thing to check. And then simply read through the three first posts of https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/18991 to get an idea how to ensure you burned a correct image and check for powering problems :)

At least providing the output from 'raspimon' before and maybe even while you initialize the ext4 filesystem might give an idea of what's going on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I have wiped it using OMV instead?

Yes.

• I bet that’s the issue then. I did also use Windows to format it as NTFS but maybe OMV just doesn’t like something with the way it was formatted in EXT4 with this program.

So, to do this in OMV, just select EXT4 and then ‘wipe’? I will try this once I get home. Thanks again!

• I bet that’s the issue then. I did also use Windows to format it as NTFS but maybe OMV just doesn’t like something

No, OMV tends not to be offended by using stuff like Windows.

Please be patient, take your time to read through the link I provided above and start to work through the potential issues in a structured way. Will save you a lot of time. And as already recommended: Once OMV restarted and you connected your disk please run 'raspimon' and provide the output.

Without a subtle change to /boot/config.txt it's close to impossible to reliably power a HDD from a Raspberry anyway (again: read through the link above carefully!)

• That was an interesting read. What I don’t understand with the Pi is the constant power issues it seems to have. I do have a decent 2a power supply, but even when I was running Raspbian I would constantly get the ‘lightning bolt’ icon appearing. It’s frustrating that they give you a computer with several USB ports but the power supplies have zero overhead and can’t even handle necessary hardware like a mouse and keyboard…

Anyways, I will try to update the config.txt file once I get it reformatted and see if that solves the problem.

• Update –

I went home on lunch and updated the config.txt file (I actually had to add the lmax_usb_current=1 line since it wasn't there) to ensure the HD is provided enough power. I thought I read somewhere that the USB ports on the Rp3 are already hardwired to output 1.2 amps? I also did a quick wipe of the disk using the OMV utility and had to ‘add’ it again under File Management. Right now, it says that it is initializing….I assume that it means it's formatting.

One thing that I noticed since editing the config.txt file is that the web UI is much snappier. Not sure why, but instead of waiting 2 seconds for each web page to load they loaded almost instantaneously. I'm also not receiving OMV errors every minute.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The SD card is about a year old, so it SHOULD be in decent shape. On my next try, I’m going to try a different SD card to rule that out…I’m not ruling out power issues at all,,,,

If you're considering running an R-PI over the long term buy good, name brand, SD cards. I'd recommend getting at least two (2) of them.

First configure OMV the way you want it, then clone the original SD card (by reading it with Win32Diskimager and writing) to the additional card. I'd leave the image file you read from the original SD Card, on your client, as a master copy. Use the two SD-cards for day-to-day operation, updates, etc. Again, keep the imagine file copy(s) on your client to fall back on, because re-cloning your daily use SD-cards may copy undetected errors between them.

You will not regret spending a few extra bucks on having one or more backups of your boot card. If you run an R-PI for a year or more; you WILL experience a failure to boot at some point, or an upgrade that doesn't go well with unintended effects. Fixing those issues will just be a matter of popping in the 2nd card.

I've found R-PI's, the SBC hardware itself, to be very reliable. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about SD cards.

• Offizieller Beitrag

That was an interesting read. What I don’t understand with the Pi is the constant power issues it seems to have. I do have a decent 2a power supply, but even when I was running Raspbian I would constantly get the ‘lightning bolt’ icon appearing. It’s frustrating that they give you a computer with several USB ports but the power supplies have zero overhead and can’t even handle necessary hardware like a mouse and keyboard…

Anyways, I will try to update the config.txt file once I get it reformatted and see if that solves the problem.

I use a 2A Samsung PS from Ebay. They're made for the Samsung Galaxy so they're a solid 2 amp supply.
    I did the R-PI high current config change which provides up to 1.2 amps total to all USB ports, versus .6 amps which is the default.

After the high current change, I've been running an external USB powered hard drive (a WD 4TB MyPassport) without issues for a good while. This WD drive needs around 700MA when active, which is well within the max.

Thinking about why you'd see the lightening bolt with a keyboard and mouse:
    Were you using a wireless keyboard and / or mouse? The RF transmitters in those things, if poorly designed, could easily exceed the .6 amp R-PI default.

• What I don’t understand with the Pi is the constant power issues it seems to have. I do have a decent 2a power supply, but even when I was running Raspbian I would constantly get the ‘lightning bolt’ icon appearing.

The reason is that they used the crappy Micro USB connector for powering. And it's absolutely useless to look at amperage ratings since the problem is under-voltage. Most if not all USB cables are simply crap to power anything requiring more than 500 mA. Cable resistance is too high and the laughable tiny contacts in the Micro USB socket are rated for 1.8A maximum anyway. The RPi Foundation's recommendation to use a 2.5A PSU is dangerous since contact resistance is that high that the Micro USB port will get really hot.

Please provide the output of 'raspimon' running for a minute while you're accessing the RPi as NAS in parallel. And maybe have a look into my signature wrt Ohm's law.

• Thank you. I was able to get OMV working beautifully and achieve file transfer speeds around 10mb/s after formatting as EXT4 and editing the config.txt file like you suggested. I thought this was pretty good given the fact I'm using a wireless network and the limitations of the Rpi. Last night I was viewing the drive over the network and all of my files just disappeared. Panicking as to what happened, I discovered that the hard drive somehow became unmounted. It was weird but I was able to remount it and it continued to work perfectly.

I apologize for my ignorance, this is very new to me.

What do you mean by "Please provide the output of 'raspimon' running for a minute while you're accessing the RPi as NAS in parallel"

Can I do this through terminal in WinSCP? "sudo raspimon"

• Last night I was viewing the drive over the network and all of my files just disappeared

You're suffering from UNDER-VOLTAGE! There are no step-up converters on the RPi so if you already see the yellow lightning bolt then RPi firmware is telling you that voltage dropped already below 4.65V. This same voltage is available on the USB ports and as soon as the disk is busy doing some random IO (moving heads) you surely will run into troubles.

Using an externally powered disk enclosure or a good powered USB hub in between RPi and disk is mandatory since this ensures that your disk gets the voltage it needs (4.75V is the minimum allowed by USB specs!)

And yes, logging in through WinSCP and running 'sudo raspimon' is what I was asking for (you could also install the shellinabox add-on and can then login through the OMV web interface)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!