Installing Backports Kernel On OMV 3

• I've noticed that write speeds to my external storage (3TB Seagate NAS Drives, connected to Odroid XU4 via USB 3), are far slower than they ought to be (~10 MB/sec). In reading some other threads, I saw a few suggestions that the linux kernel may be the issue. While I am on the latest version of OMV 3 (3.0.85), my kernel version is quite old at 3.10.104. In further reading, it appears that if I have OMV-Extras installed (which I do), I should see an option in the plugin for installing other backport kernel versions, but I don't see anything of the sort there. Is this because of the fact I'm using an ODROID XU4 and there just aren't any backports available that would be compatible, or is there something else wrong? Can someone point me to a "safe" way to install a more recent kernel version myself? I don't want to nerf my server, but I"d like to improve those write speeds.

Any/all help appreciated, as always.

UPDATE: One thing I notice is that when I pull up the OMV-Extras plugin, I *very briefly* see the "Kernel" tab show up, and then disappear as if some bit of logic may be hiding it (or some goofy bug I guess).

UPDATE 2: Doing a little further research on how to install new kernels, I've discovered that they require free space on the boot partition, and I currently have none. Perhaps that is why I do not see the option? My boot partition was only configured to be 70 MB by whatever image I used (I can't recall, but I started from a plain Debian image and laid OMV 3 on top of that). There are no additional kernel versions installed that I can remove to free up space, so I guess my only option is to resize my partitions. Assuming I can do that, would simply using "apt-get-install linux-image-flavour" work alright? I don't think I would try to move to the latest kernel available (which appears to be 4.9), but at least to 3.16 to see if that helps at all. apt-cache search linux-image reports that I can go to 3.16.0-4-armp, 3.10.105+, and various flavours of 4.9.

UPDATE 3: Apparently I didn't have write-caching enabled, which makes a HUGE difference in performance. Turned that on for each of my 3 disks, and I went from 10-12 MB/sec to 90-110 MB/sec. I assume there's no reason to NOT use that feature if I have it available to me? Some quick reading suggests it's mainly a concern on SSDs, and in scenarios where the transmission of data could be compromised, potentially corrupting or losing data. Former obviously not a concern, and I would hope the latter isn't either (I do have my server on a small UPS in the event of a power outage, which can probably keep it up and running for a good 20-30 minutes). The "Write Barriers" feature of EXT4 also seems to mitigate this somehow (though the understanding of such is beyond my grasp).

Odroid XU4
    8TB Main Data | 3x3TB Backup Data
    OMV 5.6.2-1
    Docker | Plex | MergerFS | Rsync

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von jarodmerle ()

• Just realized this probably isn't the right forum for such a question, so I apologize for that. I started off thinking it made sense because it is storage performance-related, but it's really a kernel install question. If a mod can move the thread to the right forum, I would appreciate it.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't use a standard backports kernel for ARM boards. The kernel tab in omv-extras only works on i386/amd64 systems. That is why it disappears. The latest xu4 image uses the 4.9 kernel and is well tuned. I suggest using this image - https://sourceforge.net/projec…ult/files/Odroid-XU3_XU4/.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I didn't have write-caching enabled

Hmm... you're thinking a bit too complicated. Just use latest OMV image for XU4, it's based on Hardkernel's 4.9 kernel branch, contains all the performance improvements collected over the years at Armbian and some freshly developed tweaks originating back to when we started to rethink the 'OMV for ARM devices' approach recently (you may need a few hours to read through Building OMV automatically for a bunch of different ARM dev boards though)

Oh, just realized that you're using an '32GB eMMC Boot Drive'. There's an issue with latest OMV image and XU4 eMMC so you need to update u-boot on eMMC first before trying to burn the new OMV image to it (this is due to the old Hardkernel u-boot variants only coping with FAT/FAT32 partitions to load kernel from since for whatever reasons they use 'fatload' instead of the generic 'load' command in their boot scripts). You'll find some information on this issue here: https://github.com/armbian/build/pull/671 (but IIRC when you first update u-boot on your running OMV installation the latest OMV image will run just fine)

• Thanks everyone. Is there an easy way to update from the version I'm on, or is it pretty much starting over fresh and reconfiguring everything? If it's the latter, I may consider purchasing another XU4 to do that, and just swap it out directly so I have an easy way to fall back.

I guess I also have a very nice Micro SD card I'm not using that I could flash with the new version, which also avoids the eMMC issue mentioned.

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jarodmerle ()

• I guess I also have a very nice Micro SD card I'm not using that I could flash with the new version, which also avoids the eMMC issue mentioned.

Simply try this, there's a boot switch on XU4 so you can easily try out the new version and keep the old in eMMC. And no, there's no upgrade option, it's starting from scratch with the new 4.9 variant.

• So, to kind of "put a bow" on this thread, last night a power outage forced my hand on upgrading. After the power came back on, my server wouldn't boot. From what I could tell, the attempt I had made at a Kernel upgrade last weekend had hosed my boot partition. Not knowing how to fix it, I decided to go ahead with flashing an SD card with the new version recommended above. I haven't gotten things setup completely yet, but first impressions are very good. Some quick disk benchmarks (what I was setting out to improve in the first place) show great improvement. About 33% faster reads and 15-18x faster writes (with write-caching disabled comparing to old).

Still need to get Plex and TVHeadend set back up on the new install. Hoping to find some guides for copying over settings (especially my Plex library) over from the eMMC card

Odroid XU4
    OMV 5.6.2-1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!