Can't delete missing filesystem

• Hey guys! I had an older hard drive that I used for a temporary SMB share. I then removed it from the system when I installed newer drives. Now, it gives me boot errors (requiring me to press Control+D on boot every time) and shows a missing filesystem that I cannot delete. In the filesystems tab it shows up as ext4, mounted, and missing. All other info fields are N/A. All the top buttons are grayed out except create.

I inserted the same old hard drive back in but i have since formatted it, and it simply shows up as a different filesystem if I use it when creating a new file system.

How do I delete the old missing filesystem?

• Offizieller Beitrag

You have to be very careful but you have to delete the filesystem from /etc/fstab and possibly from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. You should be able to easily find it in fstab and use the uuid to find it in config.xml. Make sure to make a backup of both files before changing.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You have to be very careful but you have to delete the filesystem from /etc/fstab and possibly from /etc/openmediavault/config.xml. You should be able to easily find it in fstab and use the uuid to find it in config.xml. Make sure to make a backup of both files before changing.

Ok, that doesn't sound too hard. How should I go about this? Should I just pull the drive and modify the files from another pc?

Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It would actually be easier to install the old hard drive back in the system and delete it using the web interface.

These changes have to be done using the command line or over ssh. I use nano. Login as root and do the following:

Just be careful. If you mess it, you can copy the old versions back.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

It would actually be easier to install the old hard drive back in the system and delete it using the web interface.

These changes have to be done using the command line or over ssh. I use nano. Login as root and do the following:

Just be careful. If you mess it, you can copy the old versions back.

I did that, and even though the FS still shows up as missing in the FS tab on the web interface, there are no more boot errors and it boots up fine on itself. Thanks for the help!

• You still need to delete the filesystem from the /etc/openmediavault/config.xml file to get rid of it permanently. If you are worried about editing that file you can post it here and and we can show you exactly what needs to be deleted. Give us the uuid from the web-gui of the filesystem that is missing too.

• Please be very specific on how to do this please. I too am having this problem. How would one know which uuid is the one to the missing drive? Then what is the correct entry to remove from config.xml?

I also wonder why there is no way to do this from the management interface as drive failures and replacements are a regular part of computing life. I am also concerned after reading the problems after a raid 5 failure. The whole point of a raid 5 is the ability to lose a drive without data loss and easily replace the failed drive. Did I misunderstand the post? Is there better information that addresses this? I have found no good answers to these doing a search.

Thanks for help and comments on raid functions in OVM. :)

• In a raid5 setup you would not have the same problem as the original poster. An individual disk is not mounted and have the associated entries in fstab or the config.xml. The filesystem created on the raid5 is what is mounted and any shares, thus entries for the shares, would be mounted on that filesystem and you would not have adjust the entries in fstab or the config.xml when switching out a bad drive in the raid5.

You say yo are having an issue. Are you using raid5? Or is the problem with an individual disk that has a filesystem on it? It is not clear by your post.

• Thanks for the reply. I was trying to find a solution to the mounted but missing drive issue. The post concerning the raid 5 was brought up as referring to that problem.

• I'm in the same boat, but seeing that the drives were part of the hardware RAID, I can't put them back. The drives are 2694328F9432618B and BCC0EB99C0EB5862

So I am guessing that I should remove the following?

Code
    <mntent>
            <uuid>d6814542-eaed-400a-8cd4-33dc817b8bd4</uuid>
            <fsname>/dev/disk/by-uuid/2694328F9432618B</fsname>
            <dir>/media/2694328F9432618B</dir>
            <type>ntfs</type>
            <opts>defaults,nofail</opts>
            <freq>0</freq>
            <passno>2</passno>
          </mntent>

and

Code
    <mntent>
            <uuid>99e352f9-7047-427d-8883-4d84850b4769</uuid>
            <fsname>/dev/disk/by-uuid/BCC0EB99C0EB5862</fsname>
            <dir>/media/BCC0EB99C0EB5862</dir>
            <type>ntfs</type>
            <opts>defaults,nofail</opts>
            <freq>0</freq>
            <passno>2</passno>
          </mntent>

Am I on the right path? :?

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep. As long as you know those are right two drives. If you look at the mount command, you will know which uuids to keep.

• Perfect! Thanks!!!!!

On another note,
    How do I get the Volumes that were on that old array out of the Access Right Management | Shared Folders?

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!