[Howto] Store data on the boot disk

• Method 4

Corrected on Aug. 22. 2012
    --Today
    Thanks a seidler2547. Efectivily is posible to use sda3 partition on OMV only formating it.
    --
    We start from an OMV system running and installed on a hard drive that it could be /dev/sda and we want to use part of it as a aditional data storage unit for the system.

We stop orderly OMV, and with "gparted live" CD or USB (@ http://www.sourceforge.net:(

1) reduce the size of the partition /dev/sda1 (system partition) to a reasonable size, eg 8 GiB
    2) extend the size of the primary partition /dev/sda2 to full disk size.
    3) move the extended partition for swap, /dev/sda5 contained in the primary /dev/sda2, from the end, to the beginning of the /dev/sda2
    4) reduce the size of the primary partition /dev/sda2 just to the size of the extended partition /dev/sda5
    5) create a new partition with free disk size /dev/sda3
    --Today
    6) format /dev/sda3 with the type ext4
    ---

We stop orderly gparted.
    --Yesterday
    We start again OMV and from the CLI we type:

Code
    mdadm /dev/md100 --create --force --level=linear --raid-devices=1 /dev/sda3

and already, in "OMV web gui: raid" we find a raid like this:
    openmediavault:100, /dev/md127, clean, linear, on /dev/sda3
    --
    --Today
    We start again OMV and in the web gui we can look
    storage:filesystems we find a line like this:
    device /dev/sda3 filesystem ext4 Mounted no
    we mount the device and wala....
    --
    Now, we can build on it shared folders and so on, all that we want and ......
    Naturally, this configuration persists after stopping and starting the system

PpFdez

• And another alternative: install the LVM plugin, then proceed as in Method 4, but instead of

Zitat von "ppfdez"
    Code
    mdadm /dev/md100 --create --force --level=linear --raid-devices=1 /dev/sda3

one types

Code
    pvcreate /dev/sda3

Then you'll find a new physical volume in the Web GUI, out of which you can create a volume group, a logical volume, and finally a file system on it.

Stefan

• I prefer Method 4 described above. However, I understand you're using mdadm which - if I'm correct - enables raid on the newly created partition (/dev/sda3). If I don't want to use raid, is there a way to use in sda3 in OMV, mount it, format it and use it as part of the NAS?
    Many thanks in advance for your responses

HP Proliant Microserver N40L - 8Go RAM - ESXi 6 - 1*250Go + 2*3To + 1*650Go - OMV 2.x installed

• Zitat von "tugdualenligne"

I prefer Method 4 described above. However, I understand you're using mdadm which - if I'm correct - enables raid on the newly created partition (/dev/sda3). If I don't want to use raid, is there a way to use in sda3 in OMV, mount it, format it and use it as part of the NAS?
    Many thanks in advance for your responses

Today I know only method 4 with mdadm or lvm or Methods 1, 2 or 3

• Unfortunately my account got mistakenly deleted together with all my posts hence I'm re-posting it again for reference. It's a copy from old forum: https://sourceforge.net/apps/p…&hilit=store+data+on+disk
    Al credits to the original author, marknewfsd

Zitat

OpenMediaVault is a wonderful NAS solution if you want to build your own system. Is is derived from FreeNAS but uses GNU/Linux instead of FreeBSD. I am really happy with it, but one thing kept bugging me: For some reason, the developers decided that the main file system containing the OS and configuration can not be used for storage.

As I am using an old laptop for my NAS system (which is both cost-efficient and eco-friendly), I do not want to sacrifice my whole 320GB harddisk just for configuration files. I have found a way to work around this limitation in a robust fashion.

I've found 3 ways to do this. (I suggest you to read all the methods and then decide which one is the best for you (Step 3 is the most easiest way).

Method 1
    Create a file that will act as the container of all your files. There is only one downside of this; you aren't able to change the size of this container later on.
    More information

Method 2
    Instead of a file you can use a partition on the disk.

• You must boot from the live cd and reduce the size of partition where you installed OpenMediaVault.
    • Create another unallocated partition and then follow the instructions.
    • Continue Method 1, but skip the creation of the file.
    • Replace “losetup /dev/loop1 /virtualdisk” to “losetup /dev/loop1 /dev/sda3″ (where sda3 is your new partition).
    • In lodev script replace “losetup /dev/loop1 /virtualdisk” to “losetup /dev/loop1 /dev/sda3″

Copyright IlgizKs comment on the website of Method 1

Method 3
    Volker suggested that I should be able to do this http://by using mount bind.

• Attach an USB stick to your system, mount it.
    • Open CLI (Command Line Interface) and write these commands:

Code
      cd /
      mkdir /omv/
      cd /media/
      ls

• Then look which disk is your usb stick.

Code
      mount --bind /omv/ /media/usb_stick_name/

(replace usb_stick_name with the name you see with the ls command)

• Code
      cd ../
      cd usb_stick_name

• Now create a file by using your favorite file editor. I'll use nano for this;

Code
      nano test.txt

Write something in the document, save it and exit the editor.

• Check if the file you created is really there:

Code
      cd /omv/
      ls

• Create a shared folder on this location (by using the Web UI)

• Now remove your USB Flashdrive

• Check if the share and the folder /media/usb_stick_name are still there.
      Now we've created a solution to store files. All files which are being stored in /media/usb_stick_name will actually be stored in /omv/ (a folder on the first harddisk).
      There is one problem left, this mount command is gone after a reboot. This can be solved by creating a script that will automaticly mount the folder during the boot of the system.

• Code
      nano /etc/init.d/mountfirstdisk

Write this inside the file:

Save the file and exit the editor.

Code
      update-rc.d mountfirstdisk defaults

• Now reboot your system to check if everything works. Now simply create a share on the 'fake' usb stick.

I've tried Method 3 out and it works wonderfull. However, I've done and written these steps, but I didn't test them afterwards (by using this guide), so in case something isn't working, please tell me. (Sorry for the buggy layout of each step, this is the fault of the forum system here)

Warning: be sure to test each method first in VirtualBox before applying them into a production system. You don't want to break anything.

• I know this is an old thread, I'm kinda hoping that someone can help me out. I used method #3 listed above today. It works good, stuff added/removed from the USB shows as being on the HDD and my free space available is listed as what is remaining on the boot disk.

My question is, do I have to keep the USB key connected to the server or can I unmount and remove it? If I have to keep it mounted that's fine, I'll just swap out the one I used with a smaller one I never touch. If I can remove it would just unmounting it be good enough or do I have to update the init.d script to do so?

Asus P5N-D LGA755 MoBo
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.7 gHz
    8 GB 877Mhz DDR2 RAM
    IBM 1015 flashed to 9221-8i - IT mode w/o Option Rom
    Running OpenMediaVault 2.2.1
    OS => 1x320 GB HDD Partitioned 50/Remain for local storage & downloads
    Media => 4x3TB HDD's Software RAID 5
    Data => 3x500GB HDD's Software RAID 5

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!