Little bit Frustrated Union Filesystem & Shares

• I started to try to build a NAS few weeks ago, started at FreeNAS works perfect but didn’t like ZFS pools system too rigid for home use, then I found snapraid and openmediavault option so I got my hands on it, first I move my 4 tb info back windows ntfs drives, then format my NAS with open media vault try NFS on 2 disk and works great I couldn’t get smb work with my windows machines, then move all my info back to open media add more disk 5- 2TB total and start setting up snapraid 4 disk for data, content and 1 disk for parity, then I try to get Union Filesystems set up and I lose access to my shares.

Try reinstalling open media vault mount drives but got the same permission error.

Not sure where to start to get my nas working any ideas?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I started to try to build a NAS few weeks ago, started at FreeNAS works perfect but didn’t like ZFS pools system too rigid for home use, then I found snapraid and openmediavault option so I got my hands on it, first I move my 4 tb info back windows ntfs drives, then format my NAS with open media vault try NFS on 2 disk and works great I couldn’t get smb work with my windows machines, then move all my info back to open media add more disk 5- 2TB total and start setting up snapraid 4 disk for data, content and 1 disk for parity, then I try to get Union Filesystems set up and I lose access to my shares.

Try reinstalling open media vault mount drives but got the same permission error.

Not sure where to start to get my nas working any ideas?

Let's break this down:

- I found snapraid and openmediavault option so I got my hands on it,
    - first I move my 4 tb info back windows ntfs drives,
    - then format my NAS with open media vault try NFS on 2 disk and works great
    - I couldn’t get smb work with my windows machines
    - then move all my info back to open media add more disk 5- 2TB total and start setting up snapraid 4 disk for data, content and 1 disk for parity,
    - then I try to get Union Filesystems set up and I lose access to my shares.
    - Try reinstalling open media vault mount drives but got the same permission error.

I don't know if the order of the above is correct but there are, at a minimum, several possibilities. Many potential problems / issues could be woven into what you're doing. Accordingly, the explanation doesn't have enough in the way of details to, definitively, provide the help you want.

However, permissions problems are usually at core of share setups, so the following is offered.

First, when assigning permissions, note that Samba share permissions do not override the permissions assigned to the underlying shared folder. The same is true of NFS. If the base folder has "others" with "none" (no access), the only users who will be able to access the share are the "Owner" "root" and the user group that is found under "group".
    (Samba / NFS can not override these permissions. They must be set or changed on the base shared folder.)

Second, I don't know if you're layering folders. I had a Samba issue where the base share folder had a different permission profile than the parent folder. (As noted below.)
    ....Name.................Name................Name
    (ServerFolders) .......(Backups).......... .(Backups)
    Parent Folder.........Shared Folder------> Samba Share
    ......|.......................|........................|
    ......|.......................|........................|->Public "Yes", Read Only
    ......|.......................|
    ......|.......................|->"Owner" root read/write/exec "Group" users read/exec "Others" read/exec
    ......|
    ......|->"Owner" root read/write/exec "Group" users read/exec "Others" none

In the above case, I couldn't access the Samba share, under the base shared folder, from a Windows machine. When I changed the parent folder to "Others" read/exec, the Samba share worked fine. (For Public access, "Read Only" was intended.)

Where UFS is concerned, I'm assuming that you're using it for drive pooling (a sort of higher level substitute for LVM). Accordingly, in the order of setup, I would wipe my data drives, format them with the file system of your choice (ext4, etc.) and set up UFS at this point - "before" creating shares.

When creating shares (noting that it's possible to place shares directly on individual drives) use the UFS mount point.

Hope this helps.

• i had to rebuild few times my NAS here is what i found.

1. you shouldn't use windows username/password matching OMV user share/password try something different.
    2. because i was coming from FreeNAS i had a Ubuntu Server ruining on my network with active directory i had to take it off from my network and remove all machines from the domain and move set up all windows machines to default workgroup "WORKGROUP"

on my OVM i follow this step to config my NAS.

Most of this steps require to apply changes.

1. Running install with default settings.
    2. when first login to OMV GUI change password (System -> General Settigs -> Web Administrator Password)
    3. Fixed my Time Zone (System -> Date & Time)
    4. Set up Domain Name to WORKGROUP (System -> Network)
    5. System Plugins Install Extras (omv-extras)
    6. Enable Testing Plugins (System -> OMV-Extras)
    7. Check and Install Unionfilesystems plugins (System -> plugins)
    8. Add New Drives as ext4 (Storage - Filesystem)
    9. Merge the drives (Storage - Unionfilesystems)
    10. Create a group "shares" (Access Right Management -> Groups)
    11. Create a user and assigned to shares (Access Right Management -> User)
    12. Create a share and set privileges Read/Write to group "shares" (Access Right Management -> Shared Folders)
    13. Enable Samba with default settings (Services -> SMB/CIFS)
    14. On shares tab select shared folder previously created, on public i set up guest allowed and save.

you maybe need to restart windows machine to access OMV (\\youOMVrip\) on file explorer.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@ajaja, @flmaxey and @raulfg3 thanks for your time and help didnt reply because was busy at work.

Active Directory on your network (versus a simple workgroup) can create problems. It's good that you found that.

And that "FreeNAS" product, well,, I've heard that using it might catch your server on fire! 8o
    (Just kidding. )

The rest of your process, in the overview, sounds right but the devil (so to speak) is in the nit picking details.

I don't know about the following:
    "you shouldn't use windows username/password matching OMV user share/password" try something different

Noting that my windows clients are in a workgroup:
    My users and passwords match between OMV and Windows, so I don't have to enter passwords to access an OMV share or set "remember credentials".

A few Samba tid bits:
    It's possible to give a specific user write access to read only Samba shares.
    I do this with extra parameters, at the bottom of Samba share dialog. The line is write list = username
    (However at the shared folder level, the user must in a group with "write" access. Samba shares can further restrict shared folder permissions, but it can not override.)

To insure Linux/Windows compatibility, and other types of access, I use a few other extra parameters such as.
    client max protocol = SMB3
    write list = @users

The first line sets a Samba level that will work up to Win 8 and (hopefully) Win 10 in the later SMB3 sub-versions.
    The last line can be used to grant write access, for the "users" group, to a Samba share that's otherwise "Read Only".

One last note:
    If you're Rsync'ing anything to your shares, new or changed files will be created with the default permissions mask. This will overwrite permissions you may have in place. There are remedies for this as well.

In the bottom line, there are a lot of ways to approach permissions and access issues. My method, for setting up, is to go open and easy with "Others" Read/Write/Exec. After verifying that all is in place and working, I tighten it up. But, that's just my approach. There are a lot of ways to skin the permissions cat.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!