Switching from nas4free having trouble streaming

• I'm switching over from nas4free. Everything is the same as I had it set up with nas4free. The cpu,ram,HDD the only 2 changes are file format on the drive ext4 vs ufs on N4F, and obviously operating system.

When I had n4f I had it streaming to 6 devices and it didn't skip a beat. With OMV it has trouble streaming to just 1 and too it stops to buffer alot. I'm not streaming full HD most shows are under 450MB.

Does OMV require more bandwidth to stream? I recently looked it up and my motherboard is only 10/100 ethernet. So I didn't know if that is the cause. I really like OMV but don't know what the deal is and was hoping someone here would have an idea... thanks

• Another difference is I was running n4f off of a USB flash drive. Omv is installed on a 40gb hdd out of an original ps3. I wouldn't think that would be an issue tho as the hdd should still be faster then the USB flash drive

• Really? I'll look into it.. But nas4free had no issues in the same configuration. That's what'd throwing me off. But I'll try anything at this point. I see more potential uif I get Omv working right

• Most people are streaming to a wired TV. You will probably have issues with big files wirelessly if you do not have really great wireless connection.

Oh, I should add that a Gigabit network is a good idea too.

• I'll give it a shot. I was just browsing with windows explorer and played it with vlc. I know gigabit wouldhelp and I didn't realize my motherboardddidn't supportit. But iIalso ccan't get over the fact that n4f served the same laptop wirelessly as well as 5 other devices at once and had no issues. That was via samba as well. That's why I'm so thrown off

• You were lucky. You will eventually be going with bigger files needing a lot of bandwidth. You should make a goal to get everything Gigabit on your LAN and get setup to watch movies on a wired TV. If your TV cannot interpret DLNA you should probably look at getting something like a western digital TV live device.

• I have an Asus ac router all cat 6 cables. When I was testing out n4f I had it going to a WD tv live. 2 laptop's and 3 android devices at once and didn't skip a beat. I wonder if it's a sata issue before I only had 1 sata drive the data drive, now I have the data and system drive? I'm trying to track down another motherboard and processor now.. We'll see. Thanks for your inpit

Phil

• Offizieller Beitrag

You never say what program you were streaming with on n4f and omv? minidlna?? It is hard to believe n4f would be faster...

Your dual core pentium is fine. I was able to easily stream to five clients with a N40L with 2 gigs of memory. Streaming to six clients with 100 meg network would really be pushing it since you would only have 2 mb/s per client. That barely covers dvd quality. I would put a gigabit ethernet card in it. The pci card should be enough.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Sorry by streaming I was just using samba shares. Most of the reason for the switch is because I wanted to get Subsonic or plex working and I couldn't get my jail set up right and it just seemed like a pain in the ass on n4f

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know in the past, the samba performance of n4f has about half of Debian but that was over gigabit network. n4f and omv should easily be able to saturate 100 meg. Not sure why you are having issues with omv now. Maybe the driver for your motherboard's network adapter?? What motherboard are you using?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

I know in the past, the samba performance of n4f has about half of Debian but that was over gigabit network. n4f and omv should easily be able to saturate 100 meg. Not sure why you are having issues with omv now. Maybe the driver for your motherboard's network adapter?? What motherboard are you using?

Its MSI p6mgn I almost want to throw n4f on to see if the issue is still there or not.

When you say n4f has about half of debian do you mean n4f is slower in your opinion? I'm gonna pick up a Ethernet card today and we'll see what happens

• Offizieller Beitrag

n4f is Freebsd based and I've never been able to get the throughput on Freebsd that I can on Linux. So, n4f is definitely slower than omv. I would be curious if you put n4f back on and were able to get six systems streaming the same content. It looks like your board has an nVidia network port. I wouldn't think freebsd's drivers are better but maybe. I don't have a system running Linux and using nVidia networking.

I would get any Intel based adapter - PWLA8391GT for pci card or EXPI9301CTBLK if your pci-express slot is open (preferred). Those are just examples. You don't have to get those exact part numbers. I have two EXPI9301CTBLK and they work very well.

• I'll go see what I can find network card wise I'll probably end up ordering one online. In the mean time I might just try n4f again just to see. Shouldn't take long to set it up quick and throw a couple files on it to test it out.

• I'm starting to wonder if its my router. I upgraded to an AMD quad core with gigabit lan and still having the same issues. I had my Asus ac66u in for rma. It was randomly rebooting and would drop internet connection. They sucessfully fixed that but I wonder if something else is wonky. I guess I really am going to have to go back to N4F to see if that works as it once did..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!