Resource limit succeeded Service localhost

• Hello,

my OMV frequently sends my this message:

Resource limit succeeded Service localhost

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 13:29:14 +0200
    Action: alert
    Host: Server
    Description: 'localhost' loadavg(5min) check succeeded [current loadavg(5min)=4.1]

What is the problem and how can i solve it?

OMV - 3.2 backport kernel - Intel Atom D525 - Zotac NM10-DTX - 4gb Ram - 3 TB Wd Red

• Offizieller Beitrag

You get that anytime your load is above 1.0 for more than five minutes. What are you doing with your system that makes such a high load? Run the command top to see what is using the resources.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's the output:

OMV - 3.2 backport kernel - Intel Atom D525 - Zotac NM10-DTX - 4gb Ram - 3 TB Wd Red

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like afp and your network adapter are using a lot of resources. Are you transferring files to/from a Mac?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

What are the specs of the OMV server?

• load is not CPU utilization, but another calculation of the load of the system. It is more a relative statement than anything else. So that a single process uses much CPU cycles (25% is not much) will not result in a high load value.

Load information is based upon the CPU queue length, which is derived by multiple factors. So it does not tell you, how busy your cpu is in terms of % of available CPU Cycles, but simply how many processes are in the queue to be processed. So if you have many blocking CPU processess (single thread kernel processes for instance), then you will end up with a very high load.

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_%28computing%29
    An idle computer has a load number of 0. Each process using or waiting for CPU (the ready queue or run queue) increments the load number by 1. Most UNIX systems count only processes in the running (on CPU) or runnable (waiting for CPU) states. However, Linux also includes processes in uninterruptible sleep states (usually waiting for disk activity), which can lead to markedly different results if many processes remain blocked in I/O due to a busy or stalled I/O system. This, for example, includes processes blocking due to an NFS server failure or to slow media (e.g., USB 1.x storage devices). Such circumstances can result in an elevated load average, which does not reflect an actual increase in CPU use (but still gives an idea on how long users have to wait).

On a single CPU system with a single Thread a load of 1,73 means that there are 73% more processes requesting CPU capacities than acutally available.

On a quadcore CPU a load of 3.74 means, that all processes can be delivered in time and without any wait time, cause of CPU resources.

So the load can be good or bad and does not tell anything without the context of the system you are sitting in.

So looking at what your system is doing is much more helpful. Also the alert at >1 does not make any sense, cause a load of 1 in a dual thread CPU (dual core) is no issue as it can be 2 until it has more load than it can handle.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would guess the problem is the *evil* thumbdrive you have OMV installed on. We highly recommend against using them. A usb mounted laptop hard drive would be better. Depending on the number of Macs accessing the system, the zotac should be able to handle everything just fine.

• Would a 2,5 160gb hard drive fix the problem? Is there a possibility to clone the whole OMV installation from the thumbdrive to the Hard Drive? Should i connect the hard drive on sata or usb?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, that drive would work. Sata would be better than usb but I don't think it makes that big of a difference. You can clone the install using something like Clonezilla but I'm afraid something is already corrupt. I would start with a fresh install.

• I have to agree that the system drive being a thumb stick is the culprit. There are many posts here talking about not using any flash media (other than SSD's) for the system drive. OMV thrashes flash media.

A sata drive would be better than a USB one simply because of transfer speed. A small used laptop drive would work well.

And yes do a fresh install due to possible file corruption.

Good Luck

• Does it make sence to install debian frist and install OMV on it?

What are the advantages of this way?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Doesn't make much of a difference unless you need a newer kernel right away, want a different partition setup, or want an easier way to install the desktop. I prefer the omv iso.

• What is the advantage of a newer kernel? Isn't it still possible to update the kernel on OMV?

Will there be a speed difference with or without debian?

Is it difficult to install VNC, because the OMV server runs headless?

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "spezialtrick"

What is the advantage of a newer kernel? Isn't it still possible to update the kernel on OMV?

Newer kernel (3.2) equals new drivers usually needed for newer hardware that isn't recognized by the 2.6 kernel. Yes, it is very easy to install the 3.2 backports kernel.

Code
    echo "deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main non-free" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-cache search linux-image-3
    apt-get -t squeeze-backports install linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 firmware-linux-free

Zitat von "spezialtrick"

Will there be a speed difference with or without debian?

OMV is Debian with a web interface. So, no difference.

Zitat von "spezialtrick"

Is it difficult to install VNC, because the OMV server runs headless?

Not difficult but you have to install desktop components. I prefer nx. Others use x forwarding. And there a plenty of people who have install a full desktop.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "spezialtrick"

Alright, but i'm a lithe bit confused now. Why should I use the amd64 kernel if I use an Intel Atom?

amd64 is just what linux calls the 64 bit version because AMD came out with 64 bit extensions first. It does not have to be an AMD processor. If your Atom is 64 bit capable (pretty sure your d525 is), then you can use this version. Otherwise, you need to use the 686 kernel. I was just showing an example and didn't think about what processor you had :)

Zitat von "spezialtrick"

Which is the right debian version on this website?

Get your image from here if you are going to try.

Zitat von "spezialtrick"

Is that the right tutorial to install OMV on debian?

This is all you need. Run as root:

Code
    1 - echo "deb http://packages.openmediavault.org/public fedaykin main" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/openmediavault.list
    2 - apt-get update
    3 - apt-get install openmediavault-keyring postfix
    4 - apt-get update
    5 - apt-get install openmediavault

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!