help needed to get rid of Smart error sending notifications daily

• hey mates!

Needing help because i can't figure by myself how to deal with this.

So, some time ago an offline extended offline test went wrong on one of my WD red 3To drive:

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
    Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
    # 1 Short offline Completed without error 00% 4411 -
    # 2 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 4336 -
    # 3 Short offline Completed without error 00% 4246 -
    # 4 Short offline Completed without error 00% 4243 -
    # 5 Extended offline Completed: read failure 90% 4103 13587568
    # 6 Short offline Completed without error 00% 4079 -
    # 7 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3913 -
    # 8 Short offline Completed without error 00% 3741 -

I did another extended test with no error but i still get daily email like this:

The following warning/error was logged by the smartd daemon:

Device: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WCC4N3HHAZZ7 [SAT], 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors

Device info:

WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0, S/N:WD-xxxxxxxxxxx, WWN:5-0014ee-20e026691, FW:82.00A82, 3.00 TB

For details see host's SYSLOG.

You can also use the smartctl utility for further investigation.

The original message about this issue was sent at Sun Aug 6 19:06:00 2017 CEST

Another message will be sent in 24 hours if the problem persists

i'm aware thoses error might signal a becoming or already defective disk but, as this one is pretty new, and another complete smart test get no error, i'll take the risk ignoring this one but, if the number of errror became to increase, i want to be notified:

What i tried already is to edit smartd.conf to only notify if the number of uncorrecableofflinerorr increase following this:
    Superuser forum - How to make smartd shut up about one particular offline uncorrectable sector?

done like this:

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-xxxxxxxxxx -a -o on -S on -T permissive -W 0,0,0 -I 190 -I 194 -I 231 -n standby,q \
    -s (S/../../1/04|L/../01/./04) \
    -U 198+ \
    -m xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

Is this correct? if not, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! 8o

EDIT 1: As it's explained in the smartd.conf - The configuration file is generated automatically, so changing a line there won't change anything and will be overwritten.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is opening a pull request under 3.x the right thing to do?

Yes sure, why not? if the change is proven, also you can post links for smartd documentation, just make sure you have tested to make sure it works. You can check at github there have been PR's in the past not from many people, but they are.

Also is bugtracker to reports bugs, unfortunately github is closed for omv bug reports

• Yes sure, why not? if the change is proven, also you can post links for smartd documentation, just make sure you have tested to make sure it works. You can check at github there have been PR's in the past not from many people, but they are.
    Also is bugtracker to reports bugs, unfortunately github is closed for omv bug reports

hmmm the change actually dont work :-/ im stuck with this notification being send again and again every day^^

I've edited my post:-)

• Did you made changes in smart section in the ui after you edited the file ?

First, i did not, for like 3 days and my added conf. line stood but ' was still getting the notifications: That was my original question: is my edited file correctly edited and then, should it work?.
    It seems the answer is 1: the "-U 198+" is correct and 2: the system doesen't care about it.

I've then added a disk to the smart and then it was erased.

• Ok. You need to edit first then restart the daemon. Avoid any changes in the ui for smart otherwise it will erase your setting and restart daemon.

Done. Edited Smartd.conf file with the line as this:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-xxxxxxxxxxxx -a -o on -S on -T permissive -W 0,0,0 -I 190 -I 194 -I 231 -n standby,q \
    -s (S/../../1/04|L/../01/./04) \
    -U 198+ \
    -m xxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

and restarted the deamon with

Code
    service smartmontools restart

is that correct?

• Not sure....i thought it was smartd.service both units use the same binary. Maybe just reboot to be sure.

did a "service smartd restart" aswell.

Thanks for your help!

i'll come back to you tonight or tomorrow if this was working (if it wasn't aswell :-))

Many thanks for your help and suggestions!

• Sorry for bumping your 2 year old thread, but did you find any way to make this permanent? I've applied the fix by editing smartd.conf and restarting the service, but I assume the next time I make a change in the UI, it will get overwritten?

• I am trying to suppress these emails too for the time being. I have been receiving them for over a year with no change,

Here is what I have

Code
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-XXXXXXXXXXXX -a -o on -S on -T permissive -W 0,0,0 -I 190 -I 194 -I 231 -n never,q \
    -U 3+ \
    -m xxxxxx@gmail.com -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD40EFRX-68WT0N0_WD-XXXXXXXXXXXX -a -o on -S on -T permissive -W 0,0,0 -I 190 -I 194 -I 231 -n never,q \
    -U 5+ \
    -m xxxxxx@gmail.com -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner

I did not add

Code
    -s (S/../../1/04|L/../01/./04)

because I am not sure what that is, but I am still getting the emails. I have restarted both smartmontools and smartd after making changes as well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!