OMV 3.0.x SMB/CIFS Issues

• Hi,

I'm new to OMV so I've built NAS from a dell optiplex using x 2 1tb drives in raid1 and OMV is installed directly onto a 16gb flash drive and installed via a smaller 2gb flash drive. I grabbed the latest version of OMV openmediavault_3.0.86-amd64 from the website and created a bootable flash drive, everything installed and it was up and running (awesome!). I then proceeded to create the raid 1 and left it syncing, at that point I thought this is fantastic and then I proceeded to the final setup of creating a user/share and enabling SMB/CIFS and FTP as a test.

Unfortunately this is where my problems started, the machine is not visible on the network (everything else works fine including another samba server and tested on win 10/7 machines) and I can't even get to it directly via \\machine_ip. I thought this was a bit strange so checked my configuration and even restarted but the same issue persisted. I then decided to try FTP using 100% correct creds and that failed to make a connection as well, I had read about issue with the latest BETA so decided to try openmediavault_3.0.74-amd64 alas the same issue persists but everything was working great.

I'm now installing openmediavault_2.1_amd64, does anybody have any ideas to why I'm experiencing these SMB/CIFS and FTP access issues? I might add that SSH and the web admin works fine no issues, OMV looks great but it's a shame about these annoying problems.

Thanks
    Daniel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe watch my video to see if you setup your system differently? https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/videos

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think these issues are my fault

Just remember that it isn't just OMV that needs configuration for samba. Your network setup and client config are important especially the windows client's domain or workgroup name. I've installed OMV 3.x hundreds of times and never had an issue with samba. My samba config and Win10 config both use WORKGROUP for the workgroup. I would check that.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Just remember that it isn't just OMV that needs configuration for samba. Your network setup and client config are important especially the windows client's domain or workgroup name. I've installed OMV 3.x hundreds of times and never had an issue with samba. My samba config and Win10 config both use WORKGROUP for the workgroup. I would check that.

I get what you're saying and I've done various things myself, if you can't connect via \\server_ip then whether the workgroup is wrong isn't going to make a difference surely? Strangely I did a complete reinstall of the latest version, the installer did take some extra time this time around but everything is working fine.

On my existing NAS i actually setup samba from scratch, but OMV just refused to work out of the box. I am kinda interested to know what caused my issues though, it's definitely service related whatever it is. Thanks anyway guys.

Daniel

• Offizieller Beitrag

if you can't connect via \\server_ip then whether the workgroup is wrong isn't going to make a difference surely?

I didn't say the workgroup was the only thing that could be wrong. When you try to access by IP, does it ask for credentials or it just never answers? I would love to see the samba config for a system in that condition.

On my existing NAS i actually setup samba from scratch, but OMV just refused to work out of the box. I am kinda interested to know what caused my issues though, it's definitely service related whatever it is.

If you setup samba from scratch, did you ever compare the smb.conf that you created to the one OMV created? I don't even know how to make samba not work using the web interface. I honestly don't think there is a bug in the OMV config.

• I didn't say the workgroup was the only thing that could be wrong. When you try to access by IP, does it ask for credentials or it just never answers? I would love to see the samba config for a system in that condition.

If you setup samba from scratch, did you ever compare the smb.conf that you created to the one OMV created? I don't even know how to make samba not work using the web interface. I honestly don't think there is a bug in the OMV config.

Just to confirm when you do \\ip it doesn't answer and same goes for the ftp service which were both enabled, I didn't compare configurations although I probably should have. I don't think this is an OMV problem or atleast not a web interface issue, even the graphs and view logs were giving me errors.

• I didn't say the workgroup was the only thing that could be wrong. When you try to access by IP, does it ask for credentials or it just never answers? I would love to see the samba config for a system in that condition.dd585 wrote:

I have that condition also.
    It may be not configured properly (this is 1st NAS/OMV install) but have installed twice both times no SMB ( not
    asking for credentials in windows/ubuntu with \\{ip} or smb://{ip})

#======================= Global Settings =======================
    [global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = %h server
    dns proxy = no
    log level = 0
    syslog = 0
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    syslog only = yes
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
    encrypt passwords = true
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = no
    unix password sync = no
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
    guest account = nobody
    load printers = no
    disable spoolss = yes
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /dev/null
    unix extensions = yes
    wide links = no
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    map to guest = Bad User
    use sendfile = yes
    aio read size = 16384
    aio write size = 16384
    null passwords = no
    local master = yes
    time server = no
    wins support = no
    #======================= Share Definitions =======================
    [Shared]
    path = /srv/dev-disk-by-label-Vol1/Shared
    guest ok = yes
    read only = no
    browseable = yes
    inherit acls = yes
    inherit permissions = no

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Pen2017 () aus folgendem Grund: not used to copy and paste in nano

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have that condition also.
    It may be not configured properly (this is 1st NAS/OMV install) but have installed twice both times no SMB ( not
    asking for credentials in windows/ubuntu with \\{ip} or smb://{ip})

Aren't there any lines after "inherit permissions = no"?
    When creating the shared folder, what did you select from the permissions drop down?
    Did you create users?
    Did you give any privileges in the Privileges button on the shared folder tab?
    Please tell me you didn't use the ACL button?

• sorry having a really bad day. I now realise you need to make the window bigger in putty to see all the file.

ea support = no
    store dos attributes = no
    vfs objects =
    printable = no
    create mask = 0664
    force create mode = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    force directory mode = 0775
    hide special files = yes
    force directory mode = 0775
    hide special files = yes
    follow symlinks = yes
    hide dot files = yes
    read list =
    write list = "test001"

Did you create users? .....................one on this install "test001"
    Did you give any privileges in the Privileges button on the shared folder tab?........................read/write
    Please tell me you didn't use the ACL button?.....................not at first but later I did and I did when reinstalled

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you create users?

I tried it with and without.

Did you give any privileges in the Privileges button on the shared folder tab?

If you say no to the guest option, then you would have to give a user privileges to the shared folder.

Please tell me you didn't use the ACL button?.....................not at first but later I did and I did when reinstalled

Don't use it... At least until you have things working. It just complicates things.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Was the samba config normal ?

Looks just like mine.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well that's disappointing I was hoping it may have shone some light on why I can't connect via smb (web and ssh ok)
    does the OMV firewall need any rules ?

Nope, I never touch the firewall settings. This is why I keep telling people that samba issues aren't just the OMV setup. The client (normally windows) plays a big part as well.

• The samba share does not show in windows "network" but then it never works 100%
    A mint PC shows the share in "network" but gives error "unable to mount location - failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection refused"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wish I knew what the small change is that would fix everything but I haven't been able to find it. I have no problems ever with samba on Windows, Linux, or Max OS X.

• I was hoping to help and find it too. Untill now samba has always worked well for me.
    I don't think I am going to get far with this install so will reinstall. I have found the install video so will follow that to the letter.
    Thank you for the help

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!