40TB HW/SW Raid, ZFS/XFS

• Need to upgrade one of my HP54GL NAS machines. Right now im using OMV 2.x, SW Raid 5 with 2TB drives and XFS.

Now i will upgrade to OMV 3.x, 4x 10TB drives. Machine has 16GB of ram.

I have some LSI9260 raid controllers laying around. Not sure which combination i should use:

A. ZFS (is the implementation into OMV3 now good?) .. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too

B. SW Raid 5 + XFS (which i use right now)

C: HW Raid 5 (LSI9260) + XFS

D: ???

Suggestions very welcome :)

Thanks - Tom

Tom

----

HP N54L, 6GB, 5disc Raid5, SSD Boot with OMV 5
    HP N54L, 16GB, 4disc ZFS pool, SSD Boot with other NAS system

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tom_tav ()

• I have to add another question. Maybe i will add a fibre card & iscsi to the machine. Afaik i need to use the 3.x kernel for iscsi.

Does the OMV3 / ZFS work with the 3.x kernel too?

Tom

----

• Thanks Leo, did see that post already. Still wonder if kernel support in 3.x is same as in 4.x ZFS related. All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then.

Tom

----

• A. ZFS (is the implementation into OMV3 now good?) ..

From my point of view: Yes

.. 16GB ram is a little bit small for a 40TB raid too

Which ZFS raid level do you intend to create to get a 40TB raid out of 4 x 10TB drives? :D

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• All the small problems with zfs and omv 2.x did turn me away from using zfs back then

Yes, you are right, there are some small issues with the ZFS plugin, in OMV3 also. But if one is familiar with the basic ZFS CLI commands that should be no big problem.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Yes, you are right, there are some small issues with the ZFS plugin, in OMV3 also. But if one is familiar with the basic ZFS CLI commands that should be no big problem.

CLI is no problem. I just try to avoid setups where you always have to fight with the gui and manually added changes.

Like my netatalk 3x upgrade for omv 2. I ended up deinstalling netatalk from omv completely and added the new one. If its too much of a hazzle it makes more sense to skip GUI then and just do it with linux. But thats only if its a pure NAS.
    Dont misunderstand me, i love omv. Its just open for me to decide if i move the new array to a bare linux/nas setup or if i upgrade one of my omv machines.

Tom

----

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!