Media Backup OMV3(HP microserver Proliant Gen8) 2 Synology DS215j

• Hello everybody,

I`m looking for an advise or sollution for my aim.

I have two NAS`s mainly using for as a media dlna. Movies & etc. are on OMV3(HP) and i would like all the media to backup to another NAS which is Synology.
    Synology shall not be on all the time.Only in case of backup.Backup shall be not so often(at least one`s a month or less).

Now,
    is there a kind(a way or plug-in) of backup that when i press a button for,OMV check`s for a new content on HDD(`s) and the same content sends to Synology?
    So,do not copy`s all the data again and again and again,which may take on the and a few lightyears...
    Both NASes are locally(on the same router).

TNX!

• Offizieller Beitrag

rsync would be perfect for this. Pretty sure synology has rsync but I don't have one.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Pretty much the set-up I use for now:

OMV 3 on HP Microserver Gen8 backs up via rsync every day at 9.00pm to a Synology DS 214. From OMV point of view scheduling with backup once per month is no deal, but telling the Synology to start up once a month only could be harder.

You'll have to enable rsync on the Synology (which is done by a wizard and easy to do) and then add rsync jobs (push) to your
    needs in OMV. Can be done passwd protected on same network and therefore also doable for beginners (I succeeded, too).

This will copy resp. sync the complete data once but then only changed / added folders and files. You can have a 1:1 copy of
    your OMV data or (better) keep also files no longer available in OMV. Up to you.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• Offizieller Beitrag

Synology to start up once a month only could be harder.

Wake-on-lan (WOL) could do the job.
    Start the DS215j by WOL from OMV and then shut down after the HDD have been idle for some time.

• Sure - this should do the job. Didn't think about WOL.

HP Microserver Gen8 - 16GB RAM - 1x Dogfish 64GB SSD - 4x 3TB WD Red / ZFS raid1 - OMV 7.x bare metal - Docker - Synology DS214 with 2x 4TB WD Red for rsync backup

• Thanks u all for reply`s !!!

On Sinology i have done (hopefully) everything what was needed(WOL,rsynk etc.).

And i tried to set it up on OMV, but sadly did not happend.

Can someone give me a help on setting OMV?
    How to find Sinology on OMV(HP)....

Also,option SSH need to be on or off?

• Hello guy`s, i have bumped into the wall wit he next warning :

Please wait, syncing </srv/dev-disk-by-label-1.42.6-5644/video/> to <admin@MediaBackUp::NetBackup> ...

rsync: getaddrinfo: MediaBackUp 873: Name or service not known
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(128) [sender=3.1.1]

Note:
    I can not get port 873 ON, on the DS215j(It`s reserved only for system) !
    I have tried on both NAS`s port 22 but no result.

Any advise?

• I use the IP as follows:

admin@192.168.xxx.xxx::NetBackup/NAS/....

The error message looks like this could help for you, too.
    Certainly you need to adopt your corr. IP here.

• Same here, HP Gen 8 OMV (2.2.14) and Synology DS112+ with Seagate 8 TB Archiv, working for nearly 2 years:

1.) rsync works, fine,

better option for me

2.) setup a backup share on the Synology with user and password.

3.) Connect this share to OMV HP Gen8 with "Remote Shares" - but map this Remote Share to a local folder which is NOT on your basic OMV file system. Otherwise every error of the Remote Share connection (i.e. Synology offline) causes possible overrun of this file system at time of backup with serious side effects. I use a small area of an auxiliary SSD with its own file system.

4.) Backup with "Rsnapshot" (which uses itself rsync) gives a versione backup. The history in backup (hourly, dayly,...) can be set up in Rsnapshot. Once set up, ths system backups fully automatically on scheduled time.

Nevertheless, as HP Gen 8 and Synology are both online at time of backup (connected to the power net with danger of hit by lightning), it is no bad idea in addition to use also "USB-Backup" on an external USB drive. For example once a month manually.

• Eric,

Does u`r option(2) allows me to keep 2nd Nas(DS115j) OFF from time to time and than (after booting up) to continue with rSync/rSnapshot or it needs for the purpose of syncing to be connected by all the time?

And what do u mean by bolded/underlined text : auxiliary SSD with its own file system?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!