OMV 3 for ODROID-XU4/HC1/HC2/MC1

• Just to clarify (unless I'm going mad) there has to be a DHCP server somewhere and the OMV software gets an IP from that?

Yes. So why not stopping your experiments with direct cable connections to another PC and simply attaching your device to any normal network where it gets an IP address from the DHCP server running on the Internet access router? These OMV images are meant to be set up in an easy way. You don't need to fiddle around with anything, simply connect it to any normal network and you're done.

It too in xp with the firewall disabled and DHCP enabled does not appear to get an IP address ("Limited or no connectivity").

You would need an DHCP server there and not a client. Windows can provide this (Internet Sharing) but it's decades ago that I used Windows in such a mode so am not of any help here.

• Zitat

Yes. So why not stopping your experiments with direct cable connections to another PC and simply attaching your device to any normal network where it gets an IP address from the DHCP server running on the Internet access router? These OMV images are meant to be set up in an easy way. You don't need to fiddle around with anything, simply connect it to any normal network and you're done.

.......yep. Pretty much. I've dug out an old router to try and use -- I can't use my normal main router as a) it is in use (connected to the internet) and b) it's really *hard* for me to phyiscally reach the thing. So I'm trying with an old netgear WGR614v8 router which as DCHP server support (192.168.1.100-199).

Mind you we all live in hopes and if it does work I'll probably set the HC2 to a static IP address. I must confess I was hoping I could get away with just a few simple commands for dhcp server on a normal debian box, alas not!

Zitat

.... but it's decades ago that I used Windows in such a mode so am not of any help here.

I don't use windows either it was just an old unused laptop. I think another family member might have installed XP on it, can't remember! Been a long time.....

Random thought: I think I first tried to do networking back the late 90s with Windows 98. That was truly, truly painful x.x .

Update : OMV now working on HC2 all working ok :) .

ljones

• With this latest OMV image also nand-sata-install to transfer the OMV installation over to a HDD or SSD is finally working. But you should keep in mind that this will prevent disk sleep with HDDs (please check also the JMS578 spindown firmware issue that is about to be resolved soon). And you must keep in mind that you need to create partitions on a connected disk first otherwise OMV won't allow you to use this disk also for data later! So a good recommendation could be to use 2 partitions: 10GB for the OS and the rest for data.

After running OMV2/3 on RPi2 and RPi3 for a few years, I am waiting for delivery of a pair of Odroid HC2 to replace them (I might have gone with Rock64 Transformer if they had one that took 3.5" drives). I have ordered 4 x decent micro-SD cards to do the booting (2 live + 2 hot spares). Now the 10 million dollar question is "which is better - to run OMV from the SD card and let the data disk sleep when not in use, or run OMV from a partition on the data disk and let it spin all the time day and night and just use the SD card to boot?"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now the 10 million dollar question is "which is better - to run OMV from the SD card and let the data disk sleep when not in use, or run OMV from a partition on the data disk and let it spin all the time day and night and just use the SD card to boot?"

Since the images have the flashmemory plugin installed AND you have backup AND you purchased good SD cards, there is no reason to not use the SD cards.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi,

I just bought an Odroid HC2.
    I was burning the OMV_3_0_92_Odroidxu4_4.9.61.img.xz image using etcher.
    If I plug the in the HC2 the blue and the green leds are blinking, but not the leds on the ethernet port.
    I was trying 3 different cable and 3 different switches, but leds remain dark, I guess I have a hardware issue. :(

Does anyone an idea what else could I try?

Thank you.

Regards,
    Tamas

• On the two I recently installed, one of them kept losing the network connection until I "wiggled" the cable slightly. Since then they have both run fine, no problem. Just look for the yellow LED (there is only one) coming on which will tell you that you are on the right track (of course this assumes the other end is enabled).

• In The meantime I found the problem.
    All of the cables have that small clip which helps you to release the cable, however in my case that clip did not allow to plug the cable "deep" enough :)

• Hi Mr. Grape,

1.) using Odroid HC1 with a HGST Travelstar 7K1000 my up/down speed (SMB) is above 80MB/s for big files (max is about 90MB/s).
    2.) my config is: APM: 127, Acousic Management deactivated, 20minutes spin-down. Everything works as expected.
    3.) I think there a still problems with the mainline kernel 4.14.y. for armbian "stretch". At least I coundt find any official release on the armbian site. Im still using 4.9.61 with "jessie".

Maybe tkaiser has some more info. Hes the local guru here. ;)

p.parker

Odroid HC1 | WD Blue 1TB SSD | OMV 5.6.26-1 (Usul) | 4.14.222-odroidxu4

• The disk is being aggressively stopped. Too fast for my taste

So they still sell old HC1 that need the firmware update? Please do a web search for 'jms578 firmware update site:forum.openmediavault.org'

Kernel 4.9 is currently the norm (an update to 4.14 is in the works, you'll get it via updates sometimes in the future) and no idea why transfer speeds are low. You might want to benchmark your storage individually using iozone (preinstalled on the Armbian based OMV images):

Code
    cd /srv/$your-data-sharepoint
    iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1
    iozone -e -I -a -s 1000M -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1

Also you might want to check/provide output from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u' (37 MB/s sounds like USB2, write speeds are fine since data goes to filesystem buffers first and is then flushed to disk later)

• Hi to all.
    I bought a couple of months ago an HC1 and have been running it on OMV on a microSD card.
    It's been working perfectly so far but as the 2.5" is rather small I have been having storage problems and decided to connect a USB 1TB drive.
    I'm mostly using it with transmission so the need for more space is increasing.
    I tried transferring files from the transmission folder to the external usb drive accessing everything from my win10 laptop where it shows as a network device.
    Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever...
    Is there a faster way to do this internally so it goes straight to the usb drive, which I imagine will be a lot quicker???
    I'm sorry if it's a silly question but I haven't had much experience with servers...
    And another question if I may. If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???
    And if yes, I imagine I'll have to delete all shares on the OMV on HC1 before powering it off and the recreating everything on HC2.
    What will be the best way to access data on the old 2.5" and transfer them to the the new???
    Thank you in advance for your time
    Best Regards
    Kostas

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a faster way to do this internally so it goes straight to the usb drive, which I imagine will be a lot quicker???

Use the CLI. Or use a simple file manager called Midnight Commander (mc)
    Install from CLI with sude apt install mc
    Start with mc

However on my HC2 I had issues when copying data from an USB drive to the internal drive. The processors become very hot and the HC2 shut down. I had to reduce the CPU frequency to make it continuously work.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???

If you use the same SD and HD I would expect that it is working right away.

• Apparently it transfers everything through the laptop and back to the external drive which is extremely slow and takes forever...

The external disk uses USB2 which limits transfer speeds to below 37 MB/s, your internal disk is a 2.5" one so bottlenecked to ~80-90MB/s over the entire surface, the network is bottlenecked to ~70-100MB/s based on how large the files are. If you copy through network the most relevant bottleneck is still USB2 for the external disk and this will be the same when copying locally. I doubt times will change that much in this situation.

If I get the HC2 with the 3.5" support will it work straight away if I plug in the microSD from the HC1???

The OS will work out of the box but if you didn't assign a static IP address then a DHCP assigned address will change (due to different MAC address). Your shares have to be redefined since the mountpoint of the disk will change too (check current mountpoint below /srv/ and see how 'internal' and 'external' differ)

• Is HC1 exactly the same as HC2?

Nope, since 3.5" HDDs need 5V and 12V at the same time HC2 wants to be fed with 12V while HC1 unfortunately wants 5V (that's why underpowering hassles are possible with HC1).

On HC2 there's therefore some DC-DC circuitry to generate the 5V from 12V which generates slightly more heat (so it's ok that thermal readouts of both boards differ slightly at same load -- the DC-DC circuitry sits next to the SoC and dissipates heat into the PCB)

• Thank you very much for the replies!!!
    This is what I get when trying to install mc

root@vault:~# apt install mc Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    curl : Depends: libcurl3 (= 7.38.0-4+deb8u11) but it is not going to be installed
    mc : Depends: mc-data (= 3:4.8.13-3) but it is not going to be installed
    php5-curl : Depends: libcurl3 (>= 7.18.0) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

And basically I get a ton of errors when trying to do
    apt-get update or apt-get upgrade
    mostly about dependencies
    I tried the apt-get clean
    then apt-get -f install
    but still no luck with anything...

Any help????

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!