Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• Offizieller Beitrag

too much choice

That is where armbian has done you a favor. If they don't support it, most likely you don't want it :)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• 328 boards in the db, the mind boggles :D too much choice

That's my problem as well.
    I'm currently using the Raspberry Pi 3, and yes its slow but it works kind of. The biggest problem for me is the NTFS and Samba transfer speeds.
    Currently looking for a replacement with some more processing power, load average is almost always hovering around 3.50 and higher.

Anyone got suggestions for a replacement, that has higher network speeds and still got low power usages?

Currently looking at the ODROID-N2 nut shure if OMV will run on it and the idle power is quite high around 2 watt

• Offizieller Beitrag

that has higher network speeds and still got low power usages?

RPi4

Currently looking at the ODROID-N2 nut shure if OMV will run on it and the idle power is quite high around 2 watt

OMV runs on anything that has an Armbian image and the N2 has and armbian image. I have an N2 myself. But if you think 2 watts is high, you are going to have problems.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• RPi4

OMV runs on anything that has an Armbian image and the N2 has and armbian image. I have an N2 myself. But if you think 2 watts is high, you are going to have problems.

I that the RPi in general whas crap to run OMV on. Because the use the same bus for the USB as for the Ethernet controller.

Does the RPI3 not run around 0.5watt idell?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I that the RPi in general whas crap to run OMV on. Because the use the same bus for the USB as for the Ethernet controller.

Before the RPi4 that was true. With the RPi4, that is no longer true.

Does the RPI3 not run around 0.5watt idell?

That is a bit low. I would guess closer to 1 watt. But my point was that if you want more performance, it won't come without an increase in power use. Even if your electricity was $1 per kWH, 2 watts would still only cost a dollar and a half to run 24 hours a day. Your router uses more power than that.

• What about the sata/usb speed, for example, comparing the raspberry pi 4 vs the nanopi m4? For example when using a sata hat with 2 2.5 hdd?

Asking because I have a rpi4 doing nothing but not sure if I should get a sata hat for it or just get a nanopi m4 with a similar hat...

Thanks!

• the rpi doesn´t provide sata ports. So you have to connect your drives via USB. USB is not really a good solution for data transfer but unfortunately works. If you want to use it as a versatile NAS I would choose the nanopi over the RPI. Hope that helps.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The RPi 4 is an excellent platform for a home NAS. But only suitable for few simultaneous streams or file transfers, due to the limitations of USB.

There are multi-bay USB enclosures that can be used. I have a RPi4 up and running with 64TB storage. 4x16TB Exos X. Works fine as long as you don't try to do too much at the same time...

Little big rpi4 monster

• I’m not an expert, but it seems like the nanopi uses a pcie bus as the sata channel, same as de rpi.

There are sata hats available for both, but I have been unable to find the differences between them.

I have only found that the rpi4 has 4 pcie lanes, and the nanopi has one (gpio). but not sure, my google-fu is weak

• Offizieller Beitrag

What about the sata/usb speed, for example, comparing the raspberry pi 4 vs the nanopi m4?

I have a nanopim4 with quad sata hat and an RPi4 with quad sata hat (rockpi). The nano pi m4 four drives are connected via 2 lanes of pci-e. The RPi4 is sharing one usb3 bus. From my tests, the nano pi m4 is better. The rockpi quad sata hat is a bit of pain to use with OMV since its usb to sata controller presents all four drive as one device. I haven't done an apples to apples comparison with the same drives but the nano pi was faster.

or example when using a sata hat with 2 2.5 hdd?

The two boards would be about the same since two spinning disks isn't all that fast.

the rpi doesn´t provide sata ports. So you have to connect your drives via USB

https://wiki.radxa.com/Dual_Quad_SATA_HAT is usb but works pretty well and the price is good.

I’m not an expert, but it seems like the nanopi uses a pcie bus as the sata channel, same as de rpi.

There are sata hats available for both, but I have been unable to find the differences between them.

I have only found that the rpi4 has 4 pcie lanes, and the nanopi has one (gpio). but not sure, my google-fu is weak

The nanopi hat is connected via the two pcie lanes. The rpi hat is connection via usb3. It takes a serious hack to expose pcie lanes on the rpi4.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What do you think so far? I take it that you've tested a couple of simultaneous streams?

It works surprisingly well. If backups are running the USB is sometimes a noticeable bottleneck. Also if I try to stream several high bitrate streams at the same time. But otherwise Emby feels very responsive and I can play any media without any problems, as long as the wifi is not the bottleneck.

There was something strange going on with a hardlinking utility, mergerfs and the swap file. During multiple internal file transfers with a lot of hardlinking between drives, swap slowly filled, despite plenty of free RAM. And when swap was full the mergerfs processes spiked and performance went down a lot. And swap stayed full, never freed up. I changed swappiness from 1 to 0, and the problem went away... Perhaps general performance improved as well, I never measured performance precisely. The swap file is only 100MB and I haven't noticed any problems with swap all but turned off.

The little monster is not a permanent solution. I am about to build a server from a real server case (Inter-tech 4416) and old PC parts. But the little monster means that I am not in a hurry. I have plenty of storage. A version of the little monster will most likely be used for backups once the "real" server is up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It works surprisingly well. If backups are running the USB is sometimes a noticeable bottleneck. Also if I try to stream several high bitrate streams at the same time. But otherwise Emby feels very responsive and I can play any media without any problems, as long as the wifi is not the bottleneck.

That's good to know. I just ordered an R-PI4 for doc's and wifi testing.

I've never test with backups running, since I do those after-hours.
    (IMO) I still think that wifi should not be used as the path to a server or for streaming. At 1080P and up, it's almost asking for problems with SBC's. The 2.4Ghz spectrum is so clogged these days and, I imagine, that the 5Ghz band is getting filled in urban areas. Most users don't bother or know how to check for a decent channel which certainly doesn't help matters.

Thanks for the little mini-review. I have a mobile server and backup role planned for the R-PI4 so it's good to know that performance is good. I'm actually looking forward to it's arrival.

• Offizieller Beitrag

To clearify. I don't use the wifi on the RPi4. But I use it on most of my clients. Laptops and tablets. If I stream very high bitrate video and I am not in direct line of sight of one of my wifi mesh nodes, then the wifi used by the client can become the bottleneck.

I live far out in the woods. No wifi congestion...

• Offizieller Beitrag

I live far out in the woods. No wifi congestion...

Yeah, me too. While I'm mostly wired, which I'm hoping to use for 10GB when it's more widely available and a bit cheaper, the 2.4GHZ band is clear out here.

To clearify. I don't use the wifi on the RPi4.

It's somewhat amazing to me how many do use wifi, as the sole link, on the server side.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Now there is a 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 available.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/bl…y-pi-4-on-sale-now-at-75/

The extra memory should improve disk access, since all free RAM is used for disk caches. You are not likely to notice any improvements when copying very large files, reading or writing. But possibly when copying many small files and during normal use. Also it may make running several large docker images easier.

I suspect that the biggest benefit from the extra RAM is when the RPi4 is used as a desktop computer for light office use and surfing. Possibly together with a SSD.

I bought two, together with a FLIRC case. I will use one for OMV and one for testing as a desktop. I may be able to free up an old HP Elitedesk g3 800 i5 mini. Might be nice to run OMV on, as well. Plenty of USB3. Previous tests with the 4GB model as a desktop was a fail. But a close one.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Would be good for people running lots of dockers or even VMs too.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-8gb-tested

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!