Which energy efficient ARM platform to choose?

• Just want to mention, that snapper is doing this

Yep. But snapper only does snapshots and as such only prevents from logical failures (like accidentally deleting/overwriting data or when used on the rootfs after failing software upgrades allowing to revert to last known working state -- this was the problem @dkxls ran into years ago on OpenSuse and the challenges are outlined here).

If you want to use snapshots also for 'real' backup protecting from physical failures then with those modern filesystems other tools like btrbk or znapzend are way more interesting since those do all the necessary snapshot handling embedded in an automated way to transfer data to another disk or even better another location (e.g. a different SBC in another room, building or town).

Physical separation of the backups is crucial, see lesson 3 here: http://www.taobackup.com/

• Offizieller Beitrag

I also have to mention that I recently did a rollback with snapper on the HC2. It worked in the sense that the system was up and running as expected, but snapper was not configured any more. Probably because arm devices are not using grub which seems to be needed for a propper rollback.

I will have a look at btrbk. Thanks

• I also have to mention that I recently did a rollback with snapper on the HC2

Yep, on the OMV images for ARM (except RPi and two or three other boards where I had bootloader troubles with btrfs) rollbacks are possible since we ship with btrfs for the rootfs now for a long time.

But I'm almost always talking about btrfs for data shares and here it really gets interesting with OMV5 in the future since not 'everything outdated as hell' like today (Debian 10 relies on kernel 4.19 on x86 and includes btrfs-progs 4.20.1-2 and btrbk 0.27). One of the 'btrfs problems' is that filesystem support mostly depends on kernel version which is also the reason I remained relatively silent wrt btrfs in the past since an awful lot of OMV users love to skip updates, and a stock OMV3 installation on x86 might still run with a kernel 3.16 and btrfs-tools 3.17 which is a bit risky with some advanced btrfs features.

• Alright, having considered my options for a small, energy efficient NAS, I believe the Helios4 is the best bet at the moment. I listed my requirements/wish-list in a previous post, and ended up with essentially these three options to consider:

• Helios4

• Marvell ARMADA 388
      • ARMv7 32-bit (Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9)
      • 2 GB ECC RAM
      • 4x SATA-III
    • MACCHIATObin

• Marvell ARMADA 8040
      • ARMv8-A 64-bit (Quad core Cortex-A72)
      • 4-16 GB (DDR4 DIMM slot with optional ECC)
      • 3x SATA-III
    • A Rockchip RK3399 based SBC (e.g. the ROCKPro64 with a PCIe SATA controller or the NanoPi M4 with the SATA HAT)

• Rockchip RK3399
      • ARMv8-A 64-bit (Dual-core ARM Cortex-A72 + Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53)
      • 2 or 4 GB non-ECC RAM
      • Up to 4x SATA-III (depending on the choice of the SBC and controller)

The reason for going eventually with the Helios4 is that it's the only board that comes with 2GB ECC memory and an integrated SATA-III controller right away, is reasonably priced, and the board is actually designed to be used in NAS systems. The MACCHIATObin is also attractive due to the powerful 64-bit CPU and large amount of memory, but is significantly more expensive and it's unclear if it can be purchased with ECC memory right away (buying ECC separately and replacing the non-ECC one would make it obviously even more expensive). Also, it seems the MACCHIATObin targets a slightly different user group as it actually has additional 10 GBit and 2.5 GBit network controllers. I ruled out the Rockchip RK3399 based boards due to the non-ECC memory, based on the discussion above.

Lucky that the 3rd Helios4 campaign is still on for another day. ^^

Thanks @tkaiser for the fruitful discussion. Kudos to the guys at kobol.io ( @gprovost ) for putting the Helios4 together.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von dkxls () aus folgendem Grund: Formatting, typos

• I am trying to research and take in all this information, yet I feel just as lost as when I started. I think I may be looking too much into it and getting caught up in particulars that don't matter for my needs.

I want to ensure personal documents and photos are kept safe. This seems to lead to a minimum of a two disk system with btrfs (and I already back up to backblaze). Movies & TV are somewhat curated, so would only need a couple of terabytes of storage for the foreseeable future. Radarr/Sonarr to be used, they will then be streamed to a Shield.

One thing the seems to be constant in these threads is to avoid USB where possible, or at least USB with the A type connector? An idle power consumption of under ~10w would be preferable.

As @dkxls informative summary of @tkaiser excellent posts shows - the Helios4 seems to fit most of the criteria - though it just seems a little bit overkill and expensive for what I really need? The HC2 would be great with the exception of wanting to use btrfs to backup to a second disk and the fact that it uses a USB host.

As far as I understand it - no such device currently fits... How bad is it, really, to have a HC2 with USB for storage? Or is the Nano pi m4 with SATA Hat a better option than the HC2?

Apologies for the confusing text, but I am just as confused about what I need.

TL;DR:
    -Low power consumption
    -Fairly low storage capacity required (~3-4 TB)
    -Reliable backup of personal documents, media not required but would be 'nice'

• 2x HC2

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. Btrfs can then use this duplicate data to automatically and transparently fix any bitrot errors. And then, as suggested above, use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions.

I haven't tried this setup, but it should be possible to configure using btrfs and it should work fine and give extremely secure storage for your data. Especially if you have the two HC2 in different parts of the house or even, if you have fast internet, at totally different sites.

If you do setup something like this, please document it and post it here! Would be very interesting for some minor part of my own data. Not a lot, just the stuff I care especially for. Scanned family photos and so on. Less than a TB. I might create shared folders with btrfs duplicate storage, on a separate partition on my IronWolves, just for extra secure automatically bitrot protected storage, on two HC2s.

• you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. ... use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions

IMO this doesn't make that much sense. While you theoretically can make a btrfs raid1 out of 2 partitions on the same HDD what if this HDD dies? Also for 1 TB of usable data you need 4TB on your HDDs.

I would better use btrfs on both OMV instances (full disks without partitioning) and then let btrbk create snapshots on both and send them efficiently via btrfs send/receive to the 2nd OMV instance. Btrfs by default will duplicate metadata on spinning rust (so there's always two copies of filesystem metadata) and you can run periodically btrfs scrub start on both hosts. Once there's data corruption on either OMV host you need to copy data over from the other instance.

BTW: what do you think of https://forum.khadas.com/t/vim…-nas-server-variant/4287/

• Offizieller Beitrag

what do you think of forum.khadas.com/t/vims-propos…-nas-server-variant/4287/

I would buy one or more. Love the idea of getting rid of non-NAS features.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

IOnce there's data corruption on either OMV host you need to copy data over from the other instance.

I don't like the manual task of copying over data. The combined automated bitrot detection AND silent/automatic correction is what makes btrfs interesting for me.

Without that I might just as well use ext4, syncs, hardlink and checksums. I am already testing/writing software to do the ext4/sync/hardlink/checksum thing, but that only runs like a backup job. This is for a slowly changing (growing) large long-lived file repository. Typical home nas usage.

Sure 4x storage is a waste. But I don't have a lot of files that are really important. No matter what I do I need a backup. So really it is only 2x extra storage for automatic bitrot protection. The cost of 3TB to keep my most important 1TB safe and sound could be OK. 36TB to keep 12TB various stuff safe and sound, not so much...

What would be nice is some extra software on top of btrfs that automatically fixes bitrot from a remote backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A two SATA SBC NAS with a slot for nvme ssd would be great. But for me to buy one it would also need more RAM than 4GB and really good software support. Otherwise I might just as well keep using my HC2s like now.

16-32 GB RAM, or even more, would be nice for running plenty of dockers and having plenty of disk caches as well. Actually, with enough extra RAM I would skip the nvme ssd. Perhaps slots for extra RAM?

• Perhaps slots for extra RAM?

Affordable general purpose ARM SoCs lack

• ability to address more than a few GB RAM (it's either 3GB or 4GB with the currently available SoCs)
    • DIMM support
    • (ECC memory support)

Also these features make everything a lot more expensive and as such you can then also choose an x86 design like ODROID H2 for example. But something like this (with 32GB RAM and the additional acrylic enclosure for 2 x 3.5" HDD) is three times more expensive than what I'm interested in. It needs to be as inexpensive as a HC2 but without the little USB hassles and with the ability to add 1-3 additional 3.5" disks to the 'head unit'.

• Thanks for the replies. This is kind of where it all just comes unstuck for me. Again, apologies for lacking the appropriate knowledge.

If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs. Btrfs can then use this duplicate data to automatically and transparently fix any bitrot errors. And then, as suggested above, use another HC2 in the same way for backups in several versions.

This does sound like a good idea with the exception of tkaiser's point: what if the disk fails? But I love the simplicity of the idea and the automatic bitrot detection/fixing. I would diffidently consider this option,

I would better use btrfs on both OMV instances (full disks without partitioning) and then let btrbk create snapshots on both and send them efficiently via btrfs send/receive to the 2nd OMV instance.

Is this possible to do with two HC2s, or does your suggestion presume a single HC2 with two USB disks (based on your previous posts regarding USB I think i know that answer...)? Do they need to be physically connected together, or would it be possible to have them in different locations?

Thanks again.

• Is this possible to do with two HC2s, or does your suggestion presume a single HC2 with two USB disks (based on your previous posts regarding USB I think i know that answer...)? Do they need to be physically connected together, or would it be possible to have them in different locations?

This is possible with two HC2, and them being in different locations is prerequisite for this being called some sort of backup. You should run automated scrubs anyway if you're a btrfs user and as such problems will be written to syslog (in case of files with checksum errors they will be written with their full path to syslog).

And you can always check output of btrfs device stats $fs to get an idea if something is wrong. If sometimes in the future there will be data corruption you'll then copy over the data from the other HC2.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This does sound like a good idea with the exception of tkaiser's point: what if the disk fails?

Then you can still access your files from the backup server, while you revive or replace the failed drive. You can even reconfigure the backup HC2 to fully replace the failed server, since you have full hardware redundancy.

No difference from a drive failure on a single drive server without redundancy. If it is really important data you most likely have secondary offline backups as well.

But with two separate disks, with btrfs' version of RAID1, you would indeed get better protection from a single disk failure. But that is not possible with HC2s, unfortunately.

And if one of the two disks failed, you still would have to get a new disk, only not quite as urgently. And with two disks, instead of one, you are about twice as likely to experience a disk failure. And two drives use more power, and generate more heat, than one.

• If you want full bitrot protection on one HC2, with automatic bitrot correction, you could use a single big HDD and use half as redundant duplicate storage for btrfs.

Quick test with mkfs.btrfs -f -d dup -m dup (the 'dup' profile should be suitable to get the duplicated chunks be written to locations far far away from each other -- at least that's the design goal behind 'dup' which is default for metadata to minimize harm if a disk starts to die).

Olimex Lime A10 (native SATA):

Code
    mkfs.btrfs -f -d single -m dup /dev/sda1                      random    random
                  kB  reclen    write  rewrite    read    reread    read     write
             1024000    1024    54720    59136    61272    46079    32372    56500
             1024000   16384    78330    80932    58478    80669    77251    79362

mkfs.btrfs -f -d dup -m dup /dev/sda1                         random    random
             1024000    1024    22234    26812    59756    58773    27719    26923
             1024000   16384    26651    23958    78806    79219    75714    23699

As expected a massive decrease in write performance due to constant head movements. Now testing with USB3-to-SATA bridge (where benchmarking btrfs makes no sense since for whatever reasons the -I flag in iozone -e -I -a -s 1000M -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2gets ignored. The disk is an older 2.5" notebook HDD not able to provide more than 90 MB/s sequentially.

RockPro64 (USB3 via ASM1153):

Code
    mkfs.btrfs -f -d single -m dup /dev/sda1                      random    random
             1024000    1024   215514   240554   192410   192691   190798   231142
             1024000   16384   401241   366650   381807   375545   373801   390407

mkfs.btrfs -f -d dup -m dup /dev/sda1                         random    random
             1024000    1024   167942   148305   209686   209880   209528   159986
             1024000   16384   177979   185367   396280   381482   381011   180694

If you're going this route I would love to see some 'write barrier' related tests with this scenario on an USB3 SBC like ODROID HC2. While running intensive write loads (iozone -e -I -a -s 1000M -r 4k -i 0 -i 1) repeatedly cutting power.

• @abali, which SBC did you chose
    I have the similar use-case as you described in

I am planning to build a 7/24 home NAS with emphasis on low consumption, low (preferably zero) noise with 2x3.5" SATA HDDs. I do not need RAID. I will run OMV and several other services as plugins or docker containers. I am unsure if any of the boards could do a basic Plex transcoding, as that would be very nice to have. Also I will have two IP cameras attached and recording continuously with zoneminder.

In addition I would like to be able to communicate via RS232 and switching some digital outputs, thus integrated Arduino would be appreciated.
    As this requirements need some ram and horsepower when doing transcoding or using ONLYOFFICE as part of my nextcloud instance. I would rather prefer an 64 bit x86 insteand of an ARM CPU, although they run Docker easily too.

So far I considered

did I miss one?

• did I miss one?

Have you looked at the Atomic Pi? (Also sold on Amazon.) The price point is good.

It's X86, 64bit, fanless, but Atom based, so it may not be suitable for heavy transcoding. The big breakout board may have what you're looking for, RS232, and switched outputs.

I'm thinking about buying it and would appreciate feed back and notes from current owners.

Thanks

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!