[SOLVED] Rp3b and wifi, not working?

• Moderator edit: See post #13 below. All that's needed is Internet connection via Ethernet on first boot and some patience!

Hi, installed omv on a rpi3b and wired network to another computer works fine, ssh works fine, access to external harddrive works fine....what doesnt work is wifi, need it for internet access.
    Wifi worked fine with raspbian, wifi doesnt show up when i use ifconfig so where do i go from here?

Regards

Edit:
    Ifconfig wlan0 returns device not found
    Wifi can not be chosen in omv network.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von tkaiser () aus folgendem Grund: Pointed to solution since people still think it would not work and then do crazy things or give up.

• installed omv on a rpi3b

What does this mean? Using a script to install it on top of Raspbian or using the image from https://sourceforge.net/projec…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

If it's the latter please provide output from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u', if the former I've no idea (don't use Raspbian) but then for others being able to help you it might be a good idea to provide output from 'iwconfig' (not ifconfig) and dmesg uploaded to an online pasteboard service.

• Zitat

What does this mean? Using a script to install it on top of Raspbian or using the image from sourceforge.net/projects/openm…/Raspberry%20Pi%20images/

Memory card was wiped clean, downloaded an image(OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img) and used etcher to write it onto the card in order to get a clean install.

Zitat

If it's the latter please provide output from 'sudo armbianmonitor -u',

Since wifi doesnt work there is no internet connection.

> root@rpi:~# sudo armbianmonitor -u
    > sprunge.us address not found
    > Network/firewall problem detected. Please fix this or upload /var/log/armhwinfo. log manually.
    > /var/log/armhwinfo.log has been uploaded to curl: (6) Could not resolve host: sp runge.us
    > Please post the URL in the Armbian forum where you've been asked for.
    -bash: Please: command not found

Zitat

but then for others being able to help you it might be a good idea to provide output from 'iwconfig' (not ifconfig

root@rpi:~# iwconfig
    eth0 no wireless extensions.
    lo no wireless extensions.

Zitat

and dmesg uploaded to an online pasteboard

https://pastebin.com/rWcw39R9

• Ran lsusb and got this, still no sign whatsoever of wlan, wifi or wireless, like it doesnt exist.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 275d:0ba6
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1c4f:0026 SiGma Micro Keyboard
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Does omv contain drivers for onboard wifi?

Edit:
    root@rpi:~# ifconfig wlan0 up
    wlan0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

root@rpi:~# ethtool wlan0
    Settings for wlan0:
    Cannot get device settings: No such device
    Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: No such device
    Cannot get message level: No such device
    Cannot get link status: No such device
    No data available

• Making one last try, if this doesnt work i will have no choice then to erase omv, just for the sake of it i tried raspbian and wifi worked perfectly right away :/ does omv require drivers?

• does omv require drivers?

Wi-Fi requires drivers, that's brcmfmac showing up in dmesg output: http://sprunge.us/GQWP (that's my RPi 3 running latest OMV image and Wi-Fi just works). On RPi 3 the Wi-Fi is attached via SDIO bus so you find nothing on USB bus of course. And as already said. Just works for me and no idea why it doesn't.

If you want to continue with Raspbian you're most probably already on Stretch so then it's always an option to use our advanced installation routine (Armbian's softy script): OMV 4 image for Raspberrypi

But you're expecting miracles, RPi 3 onboard Wi-Fi is too slow for any NAS operations anyway... at least I get mad with such setups since in my area 2.4GHz Wi-Fi band is overcrowded as hell and in the evening hours 2.4GHz Wi-Fi is completely unusable.

• Making one last try

If you make this last try move your Raspberry next to your router, connect it with an Ethernet cable and give it the necessary amount of time. Otherwise Wi-Fi can't work due to the new image finishing installation on first boot and needing therefore an Internet connection: New approach for Raspberry Pi OMV images

• Just read the post directly above your post and you see what you need to resolve this problem on your side. You need Ethernet connection and patience on first boot!

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php/Thread/20792

My try on resolving this issue is proposing to delete the RPi image entirely and stop supporting this crappy platform :)

• Moderator note: Don't follow the video as explained below. If you suffer from non-working Wi-Fi you need to start from scratch again and this time follow the instructions.

I have fixed the issue of wifi on my Raspberry Pi 3 Model B by updating its firmware.
    Please check the detailed video.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von tkaiser () aus folgendem Grund: Moderator note

• Please check the detailed video.

Please not, better spend the minute and enjoy the readme.txt at the download page!

The most important step is to connect the RPi prior to first boot to network/internet. Then everything will work afterwards. It just works by RTFM and patience.

You recommend to add an upstream Debian repo with wireless firmware. Not needed or even wrong. The OMV RPi image will install the RPi Foundation's firmware-brcm80211 package, see first line here: https://github.com/ThomasKaise…rences.d/99raspberrypiorg

If Wi-Fi isn't working on your installation then for whatever reasons the firmware-brcm80211 package and all the other important packages aren't installed too. So you don't get security fixes! Please start over from scratch, follow the instructions, remain patient and wait until your RPi reboots, then report back.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!