GnuBee Personal Cloud 2 -- 'Open Source NAS' for 6 x 3.5" disks

• Quoting the campaign on CrowdSupply: A low-cost, low-power NAS for 3.5" drive

This is some sort of an open enclosure combined with a PCB based on a MIPS MediaTek SoC with 3 GbE ports and 3 ASM106x SATA controllers hanging off a dedicated PCIe lane each so in theory a pretty decent setup to access up to 6 SATA disks. Unfortunately I've not seen any reasonable benchmark numbers so far using this SoC accessing more than one disk in parallel (all I've came accross were single disk benchmarks with slow 2.5" HDD or these pretty low numbers from Mqmaker's WiTi board -- but as we know without some tweaks slow ARM or MIPS SoCs won't perform well as OMV/NAS boxes anyway).

Some thoughts/considerations as usual on CNX: GB-PC2 as well as the older 2.5" variant (check especially the comments section)

While I really love the idea behind (creating a NAS relying only on FLOSS components) I don't understand the implementation (obviously only outdated kernels available, loading a binary firmware recommended and since this device needs Debian mipsel architecture you're dependent on such a repo for OMV too). Since GNUBee folks advertise OMV capabilities they might comment here?

Anyway: it feels kinda bizarre assuming that a MIPS based NAS thingie couldn't be the right choice in 2017 given that almost all the customers 2 decades ago that had really large storage setups were running on MIPS (SGI servers with IRIX and XFS which wasn't available anywhere else back then) and that the most beautiful UNIX box I ever had running also felt pretty fast wrt storage back then :)

• looks good

Hmm... after thinking a little bit longer about center of gravity, rotation, vibrations, impact on performance (maybe longevity too?) the device with its current design (the side plates) definitely does not look good to me any longer :)

And then dealing with a Debian mipsel architecture here is something different compared to the officially supported architectures (speaking about armhf and arm64)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why would this mounting be any different than a server that stores the spindles vertically (like an N40L) that doesn't have any vibration dampening (stored rigidly in a hot swap tray)?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why would this mounting be any different than a server that stores the spindles vertically (like an N40L) that doesn't have any vibration dampening (stored rigidly in a hot swap tray)?

Since it's somewhat different if you only fix the drive at 4 points below gravity centre with a the spindles allowed to swing freely above?

I did a quick test with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda one time fixed in a drive cage, the other time simulating the GnuBee fixation using 'iozone -e -I -a -s 100M -r 4k -r 16k -r 512k -r 1024k -r 16384k -i 0 -i 1 -i 2':

Only minimal advantages with 16K blocksize but this might change once there are a few more disks adding to overall vibrations? I wonder whether GnuBee folks should not consider making the side plates taller and fix the disks on top too.

Edit: One of my personal heroes explaining how they found one missing screw not properly fixating a disk somewhere in a huge storage box with dtrace since this single disk showed latency too high. Worth watching IMO :)

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I understand how vibration affects drives. I've done plenty of vibration analysis on finegrinders that are accurate to a few millionths of an inch. I was just asking why you thought it was worse than other styles especially hot swap sleds.

Since it's somewhat different if you only fix the drive at 4 points below gravity centre with a the spindles allowed to swing freely above?

They don't really swing freely above since they are secured in the sata port on the bottom. Very few systems secure all four sides. The amount of flex or distortion in a 3.5" drive is minimal since most are ribbed and the lid layers the enclosure making it even more rigid.

a few more disks adding to overall vibrations? I wonder whether GnuBee folks should not consider making the side plates taller and fix the disks on top too.

More disks attached to the single plate transferring vibration to all the other drives is worse than the direction and mounting points of the drives. I was never impressed with my N40Ls sleds since they were not tight in the slot and would rattle with a couple of old 7200 rpm drives in it. I think the gnubee folks should figure out some isolation dampers between the plates and the drives.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's what i said,some vibration rings or something to prevent vibration spreading.That's why Seagate and WD have for their basic NAS driver 1-8 drives recommended. The vibrations are increasing after let's say 5 drives.
    I've built nases with >10drives but always with some harder,sturdier disks(NAS pro).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!