Is moving raid to new computer/hardware possible?

• I have been lurking here for a few months trying to get a feeling for OMV and what it can do. I am planing of building me a NAS this sommer to increse my data safety and more importantly my familys data safety. As I am planing to backup inportant data for me and my family (family photos and videos) I really want to do this right the first time and know about the problems I might face and how to fix it. Being the only one interested in computers in the family I can forsee that I have to be able to expand the storage as time goes to keep everyones pics and vids safe so I am trying to choose my components well and rather spend alittle more and get things that last longer.

So my question is, how hard/is it possible to move a raid from between hardware when it is up and running with data on is without big risk?

The plan was to use a IBM M1015 SAS raidcard flashed to IT firmware and mount it in a rackmount case that has hotswap drives with SAS backplates but I am planing on adding that on later as those two items are crazy expencive.

So the plan now is to use the onboard SATA controller on the SuperMicro X9SCL-F in the beginning and hopefully later move the mdadm raid over to the IBM M1015 card/cards. From what I have read this should not be a problem as software raid should not care how the HDDs are connected as long as it can see them. But I am still a little unsure and thinking about if they have to be connected in a special order so the mdadm raid knows which one is which... like does the sda/sdb/sdc.. get connected to each HDD so the raid knows who is who when it is connected to another SATA port or should I maybe physically mark each one so I can plug in one by one and assign them names...

I feel like this long enauf as my first post so I'll stop here...

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

As long as you use software raid or move the raid controller to the new system, it is very easy to move an array. If it is software raid, mdadm will recognize the drives (uses uuid not drive letter - /dev/sdX) as long as there are drivers for the connection. So, you shouldn't have any problems with your plan.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "odinnn"

So the plan now is to use the onboard SATA controller on the SuperMicro X9SCL-F in the beginning and hopefully later move the mdadm raid over to the IBM M1015 card/cards.

as long as you dont want to move from a software to a hardware raid...

• Thanks for the replies guys, I am glad I had it right. I was talking about the mdadm software raid, sorry if that was not clear...

Is it possible to assign the uuid number to the disks manually at the start? I was thinking about getting a second OS disk later on to run in raid1 with the orginal OS disk. It would be kinda nice to be able to reserve /dev/sdb so the OS disks will be /sda and /sdb... or am I being a dork and I should not care about that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't worry about the letters. Once the drives are in an array, you never refer to the drive letter again unless something goes wrong. Manually assigning a uuid wouldn't change the drive letters either.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!