CUPS Network Printer

• I have installed CUPS and in the "Add Printer Dialog" i d'ont see my Networkprinter OKI B6200.
    Only the LPT is listet.
    Any help?

GHC

• Offizieller Beitrag

While cups does, I'm not sure the cups plugin supports ethernet printers. Just out of curiosity, why do you want to connect a network printer to cups? All of your clients should already be able to access it as if it were connected to a cups server.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Can you reach/ping the IP of your Printer via command line?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Most people here are using cups on their omv with a printer connected via usb, parallel, or maybe some serial. If you are using via a network protocol which backend are you planning on using (ipp, jet direct, other)???? Or are you new and confused?

• My Networkprinter is on differend floor. I think i should bring OMV an the printer to
    the same location and connect it with USB. It looks, that CUPS Plugin could not support
    Networkprinters. A different solution could be to use a Raspberry Pi and CUPS. This supports
    Networkprinters. But then i need an additional power source for the Raspberry, thats is also not
    the best way. Maybe USB connetion to OMV is the better one.

Thanks for all suggestions.

GHC

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Most people here are using cups on their omv with a printer connected via usb, parallel, or maybe some serial. If you are using via a network protocol which backend are you planning on using (ipp, jet direct, other)???? Or are you new and confused?

I have a network printer that I'd love to be able to print to through OMV for several reasons:

1. It's not in the same physical location as the OMV server, so USB is not practical.
    2. While some clients can print to it over the network, it doesn't support AirPrint. If AirPrint is working on the cups plugin which it looks like it has at least experimental support, then this would make it tremendously useful to me.

• Well, that's the point. Windows, OS X, or Linux can already print to it natively as you mentioned higher in the thread. What I can't print to it with directly is an iPad since it doesn't support AirPrint.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just go to http://omv_ip_address:631 and add the printer. The CUPS web interface has no problem finding all of my network printers and adding them. They will even show up on the plugin list.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hi.
    I've got the same problem with my Canon Pixma MX870.
    It is installed as networkprinter in my network and I want to use CUPS for airpeint.
    The CUPS web interface finds the printer, but i can't find the proper printerdriver for my model.
    Can someone please explain how to install the Canon driver from the Canon homepage or update the gutenprint-driver ?
    Thx

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

Did you go here http://omv_ip_address:631/ and login with root user. Then click on administration tab and then add printer.

Yes, of course.
    Just as I wrote: CUPS finds the printer. but in the end I have to chose the the model. And there are no drivers for the canon pixma mx870.
    I tried to install the linux-drivers from the canon homepage, but this fails because of missing dependencies.

• I tried this.
    but it doesnt work.

Still no printer-driver for MX870

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!