Which Backup System should i use for my OMV?

• Hey there,

i am using OMV on a HP N40L (4x3TB). Now i want to incrementally backup the most important data. Now i have two questions:

1) Which hardware should i use? Another N40L with an equal Setup and mirror the Data? An eSATA Box with JBOD to attach to the N40L? USB Boxes? Any other NAS (2-bay should be enough for the really important data).

2) How do i backup, which software should i use? Should be an incremental solution :)

How do you solve the "Backup-problem"? Thank you for all your advices :)

Knumsi

• If you want a real backup solution you should go with a second N40L and put your first into basement and your second in your loft. So you got different critical spots for your systems (different cutouts etc.).
    It's the cost-intensive solution, but the best one.

If you would have some electricity problems your eSATA Box could get grilled too, as an example.

Any other NAS (with RAID1) should too be sufficient i guess.

As software i would recommend rsync as it should be that what you wish for (incremental).

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here at work and at the school I do work for, I have a second OMV box setup with the rsync server enabled. I just run multiple cron scripts to rsync to the second server. Works well and I get an email telling me what it synced and/or if there were errors.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If you want to use something like that, you could use Backblaze, altough it is not yet (natively) available for Linux.

http://www.backblaze.com/

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Thank you. Online Backup is a "no-go" for me as
    1) my upstream is slow
    2) my data needs to be in my hands ONLY :)
    3) Offer could be changed at any time. And then i would have to look for a new solution ... again.

How often do you backup? Daily/Weekly ...?

• 1: So it would take some time once your data is stored offsite, now it is nowhere backed up.
    2: Point taken...
    3: Look at Backblaze closely, it won't be changed. Theire Drive Farming Stories are hillarious btw.

Greetings
    David

• 1) only 46 days, if running 24/7 at full speed 0_°
    3) They could change if they would like to - as any other company

Other points against Backblaze:
    - "only" 4 weeks file-history ;)
    - not even hosted in Germany (law issues)
    - Typos in the german translation of the website
    - where is the debian client as i need it headless for omv?
    - continous backup my sound nice, but it could kill my internet connection at any time and i cant do anything against it, because its running headless

Back to the questions:
    How do you solve the "Backup-problem"? (if not online providers like crashplan or backblaze)
    How often do you backup? Daily/Weekly ...?

• At the moment, i don't. I don't have so much frequent data as the most that goes through my pc is simply replaceble from the internet.
    But i definitly need a RAID1 Solution for some of my old stuff, like my application data etc.

Greetings
    David

PS: Since the last time i tried the German Seagate Support I no longer use the German Support from English/American Companys...
    PPS: Linux Client: As i said, atm they don't have one...

• Offizieller Beitrag

My backup server is in a different building in both cases. So, it is pretty much offsite :)

Most of my data has separate cron jobs for daily, weekly, and monthly. Drive space is cheap so I don't care about duplication. My databases are backed up four times per day due to the amount of information entered.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Seems like you have a very good Backup Solution running over there ryecoaaron.

Interesting Fact: I asked multiple Friends (all well known in the IT World) in the past few weeks about the Grandfather-Father-Son Backup Scheme. Nobody had heard of it.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "knumsi"

But for home-use i think it is way too much. As it was "designed" for tape backups.

Might be showing my age here but I still have a stack of tapes on the shelf... Probably why I still use it :shock:

These are even the "big" 20 gb tapes. I still have some 40 mb tapes!

• In my apprenticeship they still used them, and the new it chef wanted to continue using them, but i think we had already 80gb tapes or so... (3 years ago).

And talking about feeling old, if your little cousin asks you what the save logo in Office represents, then you feel old, even with 23 years.

Greetings
    David

• A Diskette?

Greetings
    David

• The Grandfather-Father-Son Backup system is what I was taught back in the DOS days before Win 3.1 and it worked well. Now though I've heard that the "Data - Three Places Rule" http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2050 should be followed.

Though when I was taught the Grandfather-Father-Son Backup system, it wasn't called that. It was just Daily, Weekly, Monthly.

I too have thought about how to deal with having my data stored either online or somewhere and agree that my data is my data, so that leaves me in a spot. Have thought about storing online with TrueCrypt flies, or possibly friends/family with OMV and OwnCloud and store there. This would also mean returning the favor for them.

• I have a root server hosted at hetzner.de, and i've been thinking about maybe do crossover backups every week or so. So maybe a VPS or something maybe would fit your desire for keeping your files personal?

Greetings
    David

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!