SMART reports bad sectors, wipe drive, now ok?

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's Smart Stat 5, the "reallocated sector count", that's the worry.

There are spare sectors on a drive, in the event that a few fail. That's where the term, "reallocated" comes into the picture. When the drive is reformatted, from the file system's view point, a few bad sectors may disappear. (But a potential underlying problem does not.)

You have a threshold of 140 and a value of 200... The question is, how high does the count have to go before WD will let you do an RMA? If you can get a new drive under warranty, I'd go for it.

For reference, if a drive is heading toward failure, the following SMART stat's start incrementing:

• SMART 5 – Reallocated_Sector_Count.
    • SMART 187 – Reported_Uncorrectable_Errors.
    • SMART 188 – Command_Timeout.
    • SMART 197 – Current_Pending_Sector_Count.
    • SMART 198 – Offline_Uncorrectable.
  • Thanks for the info. I have another drive that's the same age with the same error. X(

I'm afraid to sync my snapraid for fear of screwing up my parity with one of these bad drives. The first was replaced and data rebuilt. In a holding pattern until i can replace this second bad drive which happens to be a parity drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!