Empty folders in root?

• Hi,

Check this image:

I have three empty folders called :
    7a6255ef-459b-44a9-afdc-065785cd8fd7
    ca7d1012-f296-4dc8-863e-8545066ce4b7
    ea51a02d-f244-4712-bbcc-fb3f81006af9

Do they have any purpose? Why were they created?

Is it safe to remove?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Usually those folders are created in /media by omv2.0. Omv 3 and 4 use different name scheme; unless you’re using remote mount plugin which should create a uuid folder similar of what you’re seeing. But in /media or /srv not in /.
    Can’t tell you if is safe to delete, because is your server. You should access those folder to examine the contents. Only way I see this possible is that you changed the omv env variable that defines the base mount point for all fs registered with the webui(/srv or /media)
    This is indeed strange but is your server. Do you have any scripts that move data around that are croned ?

• Usually those folders are created in /media by omv2.0. Omv 3 and 4 use different name scheme; unless you’re using remote mount plugin which should create a uuid folder similar of what you’re seeing. But in /media or /srv not in /.
    Can’t tell you if is safe to delete, because is your server. You should access those folder to examine the contents. Only way I see this possible is that you changed the omv env variable that defines the base mount point for all fs registered with the webui(/srv or /media)
    This is indeed strange but is your server. Do you have any scripts that move data around that are croned ?

I have nothing like that. I have mergerfs running, but not at root.

All three folders are completely empty. I just noticed them now.

• I have the same issue:

Code
    root@omv:/# ll
    drwxrwxrwx   2 root root   4096 Dec 27 02:18 7899d4ec-7b15-47b4-a063-b9736a8ffea0
    drwxrwxrwx   2 root root   4096 Dec 28 14:51 84f261fe-7280-4957-8f93-badb3e278881

I think this happened after I upgraded from omv2 to omv3 without a clean install. A lot of plugins broke and got a bit messed up, as I expected, although I cleaned most of them out and along with omv-extra. But the most hazzle was with Backup and Plex. I tried to purge and reinstall both and after trying a bit here and there over the last weeks I found a post in here by tekkb fixing Plex. Backup was still causing issues and I found a post by saying it still had old config file that fixed it. That's when I found that my last HDD have disappeared and both plugins used it as a references for storage.

I think that when the plugins couldn't find the HDD referenced they created new UUIDs in /.
    Backup created /omvbackup and not in the new UUID and Plex did the same under /var/lib/.

I haven't deleted them but after fixing the plugins and I now know they work as expected I'm inclined to delete the folders.

Getting the HDD back online will be harder as it is 2000 km away :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

There were a few plugins that didn't delete their config when removed. backup was one of them. That said, it is very difficult to have a plugin do the right thing when it is referencing a shared folder that still exists but the underlying storage does not exist.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!