SOLVED: Installed 7 times (score 6:1), result: no booting OMV

• Hi,

let me explain the title. I installed OMV on my designated mainboard
    https://www.aliexpress.com/ite…VGA-HDMI/32574624109.html
    which a friend brought from China. So I though I'd replace my aging Qnap with some DIY NAS.

I install from USB to a 1TB mSATA (Samsung EVO 850) on the board

The 1st install went fine, I could boot the mSATA, configure the web frontend, conect via ssh.. all well.

Then I got bold and did apt update && apt upgrade

The machine continued to work for a while, then I lost contact. Since then it never booted from mSATA again.

I installed OMV to it - now for the 7th time. WIthout any problems, the installation goes through, no errors,
    the mSATA is there, fdisk sees it, tells me there is a dos boot sector.

But all I get when booting is a screen with a blinking cursor after a while the machine reboots.

When I boot some rescue disk, and then try to boot existing OS, that fails too.
    When I boot into a rescue system, mount the /dev/sda1 partition (with OMV on it), that works, FS seems to not have any errors whatsoever, everything looks right.
    chrooting into that is impossible, suddenly binaries are missing, but not the corrupted kind of missing, it just looks as if I was on a totally different disk.

I've been doing Linux now since 1995 but I never ever experienced something like this.
    And honestly I'm out of ideas. Maybe you got some for me.

pre-edit:

What I did and didn't write up above (because 2 days aren't written in a few lines)

Because I thought I might have done something to the BIOS settings, I popped out the 2032 battery for a couple of minutes - which by the way didn't seem to have any effect on the BIOS settings. Battery back.
    Of course I revised BIOS settings like 50 times now. I almost feel at home in the American Megatrends BIOS there...

edit:

Installing the system on a Seagate IronWolf 10TB on SATA port 1 yields exactly the same result - blank screen with a blinking cursor - after reboot and trying to boot from it.
    Next try: simply try to install Jessie

Shaitan 6.0.46-4 on Intel J1900/8GB RAM/400+TiB

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von qnap2omv ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV version is important here.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• OMV version is important here.

# cat /etc/issue
    openmediavault 3.0.86 (Erasmus) \n \l

The issue is resolved.

Solution:

The omv boot USB stick was the ONLY ONE that somehow set up correctly the VGA mode that worked with my KVM console monitor
    (this thing https://noteboox.de/media/imag…-1501ge-kvm-konsole_1.jpg)

Unfortunately the installed OMV does not and therefore the integrated graphic somehow blocks the boot.
    First time I encounter this. I found out after boot sticks for Ubuntu, vanilla Jessie (8.9) didn't show a picture
    on the monitor.

Attached a different monitor and voila! All works as smooth as expected.
    The one successful install was also on a different monitor.

Because BIOS settings, startup picture and of course the OMV Grub menu worked fine, it took me a long time to figure out the monitor (well and obviously the VGA settings of the software) being the culprit. All looked really 1:1 like a grub failure after install.

Shaitan 6.0.46-4 on Intel J1900/8GB RAM/400+TiB

• Because I thought I might have done something to the BIOS settings, I popped out the 2032 battery for a couple of minutes - which by the way didn't seem to have any effect on the BIOS settings. Battery back.

Of course I revised BIOS settings like 50 times now. I almost feel at home in the American Megatrends BIOS there...

When removing the battery, you need to discharge the other mini batteries (capacitors) in the power supply and motherboard. You do this by removing the mains power cord and pressing and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Fan of OMV, but not a fan of over-complication.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!