My interfaces seems correct, after nano /etc/network/:

If I try : sudo dhclient eth0
    A new ip adress is allocated to eth0.
    I fix my ip with :
    - ifconfig eth0 down
    - ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 up

But i lose it after reboot :cursing:

How can I fix my configuration?

I already had this problem and I had reinstalled as the guy here.
    No way this time ! X(

Thx for your help.

• I have this problem too...

SPECS:

OMV 3.0 running inside ESXi 6.5.0
    Pentium G4500
    12GB RAM

After reboot, no connection at all (no GUI, no ping, no network, nothing, both in STATIC and DHCP).

- /etc/network/interfaces show eth0 configured correctly;

- ifconfig don't show eth0;

- ifconfig eth0 up makes eth0 appear, but without IP (and connection).

- omv-firstaid run as normal, but don't fix the problem

---WORKAROUND---

- dhclient eth0 bring back eth0 WITH connection, but after reboot, it is gone.

Havent found a permanent solution, and need help...

[edit] My permanent solution was scheduling dhclient eth0 at reboot. Not elegant, but enough to wait for a permanent fix.

[edit2] Fixed typos

• But HOW does it look like (is there eth0 with 'auto' or 'allow-hotplug'?). Same with dmesg output...

/etc/network/interfaces

And in dmesg, the only thing that appears after the interface goes up is (nothing appears when releasing the dhcp lease)

Code
    [25288.490108] vmxnet3 0000:13:00.0 eth0: intr type 3, mode 0, 3 vectors allocated
    [25288.490436] vmxnet3 0000:13:00.0 eth0: NIC Link is Up 10000 Mbps

If you need something more precise, please ask.

(I really don't understand the 'OMV support situation' but that's a totally different topic)

I did not understand... Could you please elaborate?

• Sorry, I don't get it. You both have static eth0 entries with allow-hotplug in the interfaces file but expect DHCP working?

In my case, I DON'T expect DHPC to work. It is the only way to work.

Even if I configure /etc/network/interfaces to use DHCP, it still don't work, only AFTER I run dhclient eth0.

Just to be clear: Both DHCP and STATIC don't work after reboot (using the corresponding configuration in /etc/network/interfaces)

---------------

I managed to get static IP working by configuring manually after reboot the IP address AND route:

Code
    ifconfig eth0 "static-address"
    route add default gw "network-gateway"

Current /etc/network/interfaces file:

• Could you please elaborate?

Sorry, just a small rant not targeted at you. I miss a support tool in OMV that collects more data since supporting remote systems you don't have access to when information is only sparse is always such a waste of time (speaking about another project I contribute to where users are asked to provide output from 'armbianmonitor -u' which will produce stuff like this where almost everything a supporter needs is included).

I still have not the slightest idea what's going on. At least I would use either auto (with a statically configured address) or allow-hotplug (with DHCP) and if there's some external command needed to kick the interface somewhere then pre-up might help (eg. 'pre-up ifconfig $IFACE up')

• Sorry, just a small rant not targeted at you. I miss a support tool in OMV that collects more data since supporting remote systems you don't have access to when information is only sparse is always such a waste of time (speaking about another project I contribute to where users are asked to provide output from 'armbianmonitor -u' which will produce stuff like this where almost everything a supporter needs is included).
    I still have not the slightest idea what's going on. At least I would use either auto (with a statically configured address) or allow-hotplug (with DHCP) and if there's some external command needed to kick the interface somewhere then pre-up might help (eg. 'pre-up ifconfig $IFACE up')

It's ok, and I agree with you. OMV lacks such support tool.

At least, everything is working now. Not as supposed, but working indeed.

Just for the record, the workaround is:

- If you want OMV to work with DHCP, run dhclient "interface"

- If you want OMV to work with static IP, run ifconfig "static-address" "interface" && route add default gw "gateway-address"

• So the stuff below does not work?

• So the stuff below does not work?

Nope. Looks like OMV ignore completely /etc/network/interfaces

• Looks like OMV ignore completely /etc/network/interfaces

OMV writes this file based on what you configure in the web UI (which ends up in an XML file that gets then parsed to write the interfaces file -- write-only behaviour). OMV of course ignores the contents of /etc/network/interfaces since reading this is Debian's job (ifupdown package is responsible for parsing it and the documentation can be found here)

That being said the vast majority of users has obviously zero problems with this and as also aready said continuing without information (logs) unfortunately is useless. Since vmxnet3 driver suggest you run in a VM I would check network settings there too.

• Got the same problem. I shut down omv to make a copy if the systemdrive.

After reboot it stopped working. I found out that the raspberry was defect. So bought a new one and wrote the backup back to the ssd.

After startup eth0 was missing.

I just turned it on manually with

Code
    sudo ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.178.4 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.178.255 up

After that I was able to login via the gui. I set a static ip there and rebooted the system. After that it worked.

• Same to me, running Linux N2810PLUS 5.10.0-23-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-1 (2023-05-12) i686
    I went back to the backup file "interfaces.bak" as "interfaces" in /etc/network. My "/interfaces.d" is an empty directory.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Same to me, running Linux N2810PLUS 5.10.0-23-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 5.10.179-1 (2023-05-12) i686
    I went back to the backup file "interfaces.bak" as "interfaces" in /etc/network. My "/interfaces.d" is an empty directory.

If you are running OMV6 then this is normal because systemd-networkd is used for networking.

• If you are running OMV6 then this is normal because systemd-networkd is used for networking.

Yes, OMV6 on preinstalled debian bullseye i386(i686).

Great stack without the unnecessary doubled 2x x86 (x86-64) RAM access. Installed on the 4GB DoM of the NASBOX2 with only 40% occupancy on compressed BTRFS.

I think I'm off Synology ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!