Move existing RAID on Mac to OMV

• I have a file server on a mac that was setup years ago as a RAID external drive. Want to know if its possible to mount it in OMV without having to format it and/or move everything off and back on?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What filesystem? Is it software or hardware raid? If it is software raid, you will have to rebuild. If it is HFS, I would rebuild.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you need raid? Raid isn't backup. Why plug and play? The idea of a NAS is to leave the drives in it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Software setup on the Mac, what type of RAID would be just a simple plug and play (for lack of better term)

Form what you posted here, I'm guessing that you "thought" (at some point in the past) RAID might be a good idea. Please note that I'm not being judgemental when I say, unless you have a hard 24x7x365 "accessibility" requirement (meaning pissed off users who will phone you in the middle of the night because they can't access their data), you don't need RAID. What you really need is "backup".

If you have true backup, the entire point behind this thread is mute, because you'd have a cross-over option. With true backup, you could fully rebuild, on OMV, without fear of consequence. Do you see what I've getting at?

The real question is, if your truly value the data you're trying to preserve, "do I have a backup that I trust"? That's a question that you'll find useful feedback for, on this forum. (And there will be a few opinions, varying in technical difficultly, all of which should lead you in a productive direction.) If you have true "trusted" backup, you're going to be free to entertain numerous cross-over options for setting up a new NAS platform that may, or may not, include RAID.

For your own benefit - for understanding the difference; do a Google search on terms "RAID" and "BACKUP". Until then, anything you may do without backup is ,,, well,, a roll of the dice.

BTW: You're in the right place place. If you want a full featured NAS, there's little that can rival OMV in terms of the basic platform, it's plugins, and OMV's docker capabilities.

To bottom line it:
    The answer to your first post (with the info provided) is "maybe". With backup, it just might work, but if it doesn't...... (Well, that's what backup is for. :) )

• Want to know if its possible to mount it in OMV without having to format it and/or move everything off and back on?

No, not possible. Linux knows a HFS+ subset but you'll loose everything except 'data forks' for sure (file metadata, encodings and so called resource forks).

Set up an OMV box, then decide whether you want to use either AFP or SMB (never ever mix those!), then either try to copy everything from your Mac over to the NAS using the Finder. Or (and in case Finder fails) if you're using MacOS 10.10 or above use the included rsync instead, if you're using an older macOS version grab Mike Bombich's Carbon Copy Cloner and use the included rsync inside the application bundle. If you want to go this route please ask for detailed instructions...

BTW: Please forget about RAID (especially the crappy mirror variant macOS uses) and implement backup properly in the future.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!