Installing Flash memory plugin

• Hello

I'm new to OMV and to Linux.
    I've just installed OMV last version in a computer i had lying around. It's a Dual core E5400 with 2 gb of RAM.
    After strugling a lot i manage to install OMV on a flash drive and boot it up.
    Right now i'm trying to install flash memory plugin but i don't know how. It doesn't appear under plugins, i've tried to download it but i can't upload it to OMV, it keeps saying that isn't the right file format or something. I've tried uploading it as a zip file but it does not work. :(
    Can't someone guide me step by step on how to install this plugin?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

1 - Install omv-extras plugin following this guide - http://omv-extras.org/joomla/index.php/guides
    2 - Go to plugins tab and install. (you may have to click check in that tab).

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Just a curiosity: since flash plugin is so important why not include it directly inside OMV?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just a curiosity: since flash plugin is so important why not include it directly inside OMV?

It is only important on USB sticks (or cheap ssds) which were originally something recommended not to use. And the flashmemory plugin is included with all arm images which is where it is pretty much always needed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm just curious, How confident are we in the Flashmemory plugin? I will be using a branded USB drive but It would be nice to know that people have been running from USB with success for a long time? and from experience, how important are the "optional extras" following the install?

• Offizieller Beitrag

How confident are we in the Flashmemory plugin?

Well, it moves these folders to ram. In my tests when originally moving to folder2ram, this reduced writes by over 90% on my systems. But every system is different. I can guarantee the drive will last longer with the plugin than without. I have a couple of systems running for 4 years on a usb stick. I have many arm systems that have 2+ years on their SD cards. Before the plugin, I saw SD cards fail in two weeks.

It would be nice to know that people have been running from USB with success for a long time?

I would tell you that if you are that worried about it AND can't backup your usb drive AND can't tolerate down time, then don't use usb sticks. But, overall most people have good luck.

how important are the "optional extras" following the install?

Depends on how you use your system. The optional parts only disable swap on most system since the noatime and nodiratime are already set. If you don't run your system out of memory, it is going to rarely swap and that change means nothing. The noatime and nodiratime are a good idea if not already set but I don't have any stats on how much it helps.

• Thanks ryecoaaron,

I appreciate the advice, I will be able backup USB so that shouldn't be a problem, my main driver for using USB is the chassis I'm using has dedicated internal port for bootable USB but no spare drive bay unless I sacrifice a bay of the removable caddies I wish to use for the RAID. I have considered an m.2 Sata SSD to USB converter but that just seems like adding another element of potential complication and failure.

I'm still testing my build so far but it's working really well! Any other advice or tips on backing-up the config or areas of system of would be appreciated, I just want to be as well prepared as I can be prior to migrating my data away from my old FreeNas box.

• I had some issues with usb keys and sd cards regardless of this plugin, maybe because some software like plex still write too much.

I would rather suggest a cheap SSD connected via usb.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!