backup settings OMV

• Hello,

Sorry if this is not place to this question.

I wanna know if i can backup all the users, groups, shared folder, samba setting and ftp settings to restore this data if i need re install the machine.

I really apreciate if someone ask my questing

Thanks a lot for the good job with OVM

• No you cannot. You can make an Image of your OMV Disk after your configuration is done.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Ooooh, that can only be answered by Volker.

But from what i can tell it is to hard to export all configuration files etc. etc.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Because all the settings, additional packages, plugins and various combinations of these items cannot be stored in a simple configuration file. There is a configuration.xml file but restoring that alone would not come close to restoring the average users setup. So we recommend imaging your drive with Clonezilla.

• As mentioned it is recommended to use Clonezilla to make an image of your System Drive. It works well and generally only takes a few minutes. This way you are assured of getting everything and one of the few times using a thumb stick around OMV is a good thing.

So to me it's not as if backup were forgot, it just seems to be the easier way to do it. Especially if you have added things like Plex Media Server, OwnCloud and so forth. Another way to think about it is that Volker and the devs do not have to think about a backup routine. Clonezilla does it all for them.

I would recommend using Clonezilla after having setup OMV, and again each time before any configuration changes and after successful changes. Maybe I backup too often, but this way I can get my OMV up and running again, without having to reinstall it.

Something else I like about using Clonezilla is if I want to play around with the settings inside OMV, Plex, OwnCloud, such as editing and looking at files with nano, I just use Clonezilla before I do and if I brick it, which I have, Clonezilla to the rescue. And I've got OMV back up and running as it were before I started playing around.

• Half a dozen Virtual Box Macines running over here :D

Greetings
    David

• Yeah, I have a lot of vms too. And several clones of OMV. Virtualbox is best way to test new ideas dave. You can get one setup or download a preconfigured and add machine. Make a clone and then test and try to break it all you want. That way you don't have to mess with your real OMV.

**Virtualbox tip of the day.** When you clone a machine all will be the same except the network interface. They have it change on purpose so there will be no conflict with the vm it was cloned from. The new nic will not be configured too. I use many vms with the same favorite links in chrome, so I don't have to recreate new ones. If eth0 changes to eth1 when cloning all you have to is the following:

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and then reboot. After reboot the clone will be back on eth0 and should be on same ip as original vm.

• Zitat von "tekkbebe"

We need to make a template of you Dave. And then we could apply it to other users... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds good to me!

Though the more I know the more I know I don't know! Before long I'll be a blithering idiot!

• I'm surprised that there isn't a good way to save the configuration. I have (on numerous occasions) moved freenas from one machine to another, and the ability to save the config is important - so I would have expected this in OMV. If you have any more than a few users or shares, and more than a trivial ACL, it is cumbersome to set this up again.

Perhaps the best case for saving the config is in proof of concept. I set up OMV on a VM to try it out before moving it to physical hardware... do I need to take screenshots of everything to re-enter it later?

A cloned image of the boot drive is a great disaster recovery tool - but it wont help in migration to different hardware.

I do agree that OMV can't be responsible for backing up add-ons and additional package installs... but the basic fileserver configuration would help. Then the instructions for restoring elsewhere could be: install the same version of OMV, then restore the backup config, then add any updates, customizations, etc.

At a minimum, maybe you could produce a report that lists the OMV-specific entries - or is this the configuration xml file you refer to?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, the cloned image works well on other machines. Just remove the udev entry for eth0 and usually everything is ok to go. There is no way to copy a few files. You can use /etc/openmediavault/config.xml for reference but copying it to a new machine will not work.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!