Looking to build my Ultimate NAS. Project 2018, (KODI)

• Hi Everyone .
    I have been a long term user of OVM.
    Never had any real issues with it.

I am looking to build my NAS.
    I have found some old computer hardware I am planing to purpose.

I plan in running docker containers for duplicati and Nextcloud along with an SQL docker instance and a NGINx reverse proxy.
    This bit i am very confident with.

My question:
    Is it worth looking at installing KODI on the NAS as well ? My NAS sits under my TV and would be great to be able to plug in a HDMI cable from the NaS into the TV.
    I have read from various people that KODI does not run smoothly/video lags etc... for whatever reason.

has anyone had any experience with KODI running on OVM and is working smoothly and no driver issues etc ?

• I'm not very familiar with KODI, but tinkered around a little bit with it, until i finally went with Emby ...
    From this experience I guess the way to go would be installing Debian first and add OMW and KODI afterwards ...
    ... until recently KODI had to be compiled for Debian and OMV ... under Debian it finally found its way into the software repos.
    Under OMV you would still have to add a bunch of libraries for multimedia - support and the "front - end" ...
    Actually I managed to install KODI on the latest OMV - version from the repos (since OMV 4 is based on Debain 9 (stretch), but it didn't work ...
    ... under Debian it's easy to install both (KODI and OMV), but as far as I remeber there are other issues with this configuration ...

in short: I guess it can be done, but it's still tricky, unless you really understand how things work.

...when I discovered Emby which - compared to Kodi - is a pure Media - Server without any "front end" I decided to give it a try.
    the advantages are:
    - It can be easily installed under OMV via "apt-get" after adding the required software repos.
    - Afterwards it works pretty much "out of the box"
    - can be managed from a Web-GUI
    - works as a server for Kodi - Clients, too!
    - Delivers Media content via DLNA all kind of network attached clients (in my case a Samsung BD-Player with smart-hub)

• Thanks for you reply DR.Seltsam.
    My goal is to have one box hence i was asking about XBMC.
    Alternatively I can run Libreelec on a RPI as well.

I just wanted to know how to compile XBMC and give it a try on my hardware ;)
    I guess that the only way to find out how it will run.

• ...then you should check here for more information.
    As far as I remeber compiling, Kodi for OMV went much along the same lines as compiling Kodi on Debian
    (although at least for Debian it became obsolete, since you can install Kodi from the repos by now).
    The trouble (in my VERY basic understanding of Linux) basically is, that you need to add a "head-end"
    as well as some multimedia functionality in order to run Kodi.
    ... actually I would be quite interested a way to make Kodi run on OMV, too.
    While my "workaround" with Emby works pretty well, my MediaServer/NAS also sits only a "cable length" away from my TV. ;)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!