OMV on Marvell Armada 388

• Hi,

I have here a 4bay NAS with Marvell Armada 388. Is somewhere a guide how to install OMV on usb on that device?
    Until now I used OMV on J1900 or J3160, but never on another hardware.

It would be wonderfull because the original OS sucks.

Thanks,
    regards,

Michael

• The most (or only) tricky part is to get this thing to boot of another boot source than currently. Since you don't provide information (which NAS) it's a task for mind readers to help here. But for a basic recipe see eg. here: OMV on NAS326 (most probably similar threads are displayed below this here when you read this post?)

• Found in your link that Clearfog Base image would fit to Armada SOCs, but how will I get the ds416j booting from USB?!

Most probably the one for Helios4 would be a better choice (since prepared for 4 SATA ports) but honestly I don't know how much efforts would be needed to create a correct device tree file for your NAS when you're not able to simply take the vendor's (most probably running a horribly outdated kernel with incompatible DT stuff compared to what current community OS builds for Armada 38x use).

Also no idea how to get your NAS to boot from USB. If you're lucky you find some instructions on the Internet but it's also entirely possible to have a device with a fully locked bootloader (or at least no known methods to change boot order). For example with RealTek RTD1295 devices those from 2 years ago were somewhat 'hackable' (serial console available and possible to change boot order) but every new device since then came with a bootloader that made it close to impossible to boot from another source than the running proprietary NAS software already flashed to the device.

• Thanks. I like the concept of the helios very much and I have huge respect for the developers but I thinks it is overpriced. For nearly the same amount of money you can get a much more powerfull x86 Server (new/used Intel SOC, new/used ddr3L, cheap case, small SSD with ssd/USB converter for system, 12V powersupply), which consumes around 8-9W in Harddisk Idle. If a component dies there...buy a replacement for some €. How will be the future spareparts support for Helios? Thats why I build my and my friends NAS on my own in the first place.
    The quest for "OMV on Synology" was just a possibility to safe the "investment" of a friend of mine had. Next step will be selling it and build a server on our own, because the DS416J is just slow (sometimes slow transfer rates) and the OS is annoying, DLNA stops working properly when you have to much files.

OMV is wonderfull on x86 hardware.

• Next step will be selling it

That's most probably the best idea since getting this thing to boot from external sources can be challenging or simply too time consuming if it works at all.

OMV is wonderfull on x86 hardware

My slogan is a different one: OMV is wonderful on ARM hardware ;)

• well you are right...since it is the same price I could give it a try, because it is a complete set. Unluckily my "customer", I mean this friend of mine, needs hardware now and cant wait for helios4 batch 2.

Thanks anyway so far and good luck for further development success

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!