Error during upgrade: chown: invalid group: ':openmediavault-config'

• Hello,

yesterday I tried to upgrade my OMV from version 2.x to 3.x.

The upgrade stopped with the following message:

chown: invalid group: ':openmediavault-config'
    ERROR: Failed to create the default configuration: Command '['/usr/share/openmediavault/confdb/create.d/conf.sh']' returned non-zero exit status 1
    dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten des Paketes openmediavault (--configure):
    Unterprozess installiertes post-installation-Skript gab den Fehlerwert 1 zurück
    Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
    openmediavault
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I have no idea, if it helps, but here is the output of the command:

# omv-engined -d -f

And here is the result of
    # dpkg -l | grep openm

iF openmediavault 3.0.95 all Open network attached storage solution
    ii openmediavault-keyring 1.0 all GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

Thank you for your help.
    Christian

• Hello,

I'm seeing the same issue on my system.

On my 2.x installation, there is a user 'openmediavault' with an associated group 'openmediavault'.
    On a fresh 3.x installation that I just threw into a VM, I'm instead seeing a user 'openmediavault-webgui' that is in groups 'openmediavault-webgui', 'openmediavault-config' and 'openmediavault-engined'. None of these exist in my 2.x install.

Apparently, the new packages assume that these users and groups exist as they do in a fresh install, but the release upgrade process either neglects to set them up or that part of the upgrade process failed for some reason.

Currently, I'm thinking that I'll try and see what happens if I just rename my existing user and group to openmediavault-webgui, create the other two groups, and put the user in it, to see what that breaks.

• Changing the user and groups so that they're like in the 3.x install seems to have solved that particular issue. (The group name was also referenced in a config file.)

The upgrade still failed with a different error message, and the service won't start, apparently because a cleanup-script is trying to rm a directory. I don't know if I missed the username in some config file or if these are unrelated issues, but either way I'm shelving this until I have time to do a clean reinstall.

• But then all settings of OMV including nginx, mysql etc is gone, correct?
    Or is there a way to keep these settings?
    Does OMV read the settings from the conf-files of of the single services like mysql, smb...?

In some other topics it is recommended to just uninstall plugins. Might that help?

Update: I managed to solve the error.

1. I did removed (with purge) openmediavault (forgot to uninstall plugins first). But the Debian system was still the same.
    1.1 added the new group (without adding users to it). Otherwise installing omv gives errors.
    2. updated the apt-repositories
    3. installed OMV via apt (by the way: all my settings like samba, nginx, mysql,..... were still there
    4. But I had error messages on opening some plugins. So I removed all of them and installed them again: now nearly everything was working.
    5. Had an issue on the Notifications-section. This post solved it

Now the hole system is up again (had some trouble with nginx and SQL first). I will try to stay on the latest version in future.

• @macom, you say do a "fresh install." I have a rich background of usage already on this system. what are the ramifications of starting over. that's really inconvient. i have existing LDAP, plugin settings, and so forth, not to mention multiple TB of data. what happens to all of that?

i ran "groupadd openmediavault-config" and that seemed to get to the next level. are there any bad ramifications from that?

• I have done a fresh install of openmediavault 2.2.14 in a virtual machine then when I upgrade with omv-release-upgrade it makes the same problem

Setting up openmediavault (3.0.96) ...
    Updating configuration database ...
    chown: invalid group: ':openmediavault-config'
    ERROR: Failed to create the default configuration: Command '['/usr/share/openmediavault/confdb/create.d/conf.sh']' returned non-zero exit status 1
    dpkg: error processing package openmediavault (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    openmediavault
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

• Try to add that group with the following command:

Code
    groupadd openmediavault-config

Then reinstall oder reconfigure openmediavault

• I have done the command :

Code
    groupadd openmediavault-config

and then

Code
    apt-get install -f

the optput is:

after a restart the web GUI it appears but when i try to login i got the error

Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory

Zitat

Error #0:exception 'OMV\Rpc\Exception' with message 'Failed to connect to socket: No such file or directory' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc:140Stack trace:#0 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc/session.inc(56): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('UserMgmt', 'authUser', Array, Array, 2, true)#1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceSession->login(Array, Array)#2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('login', Array, Array)#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/proxy/json.inc(95): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Session', 'login', Array, Array, 3)#5 /var/www/openmediavault/rpc.php(45): OMV\Rpc\Proxy\Json->handle()#6 {main}

• Hi guys,

I have the same problem. I run journalctl -xn for more details. Here is the output:

-- Logs begin at Wed 2018-04-04 12:51:59 CEST, end at Wed 2018-04-04 12:58:26 CEST. --
    Apr 04 12:57:54 openmediavault systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Apr 04 12:57:54 openmediavault systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault monit[1051]: 'omv-engined' process is not running
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault monit[1051]: 'omv-engined' trying to restart
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault monit[1051]: 'omv-engined' start: /bin/systemctl
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault systemd[1]: Starting The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request...
    -- Subject: Unit openmediavault-engined.service has begun with start-up
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
    --
    -- Unit openmediavault-engined.service has begun starg up.
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: Supervising process 1764 which is not our child. We'll most likely not notice when it exits.
    Apr 04 12:58:25 openmediavault systemd[1]: Started The OpenMediaVault engine daemon that processes the RPC request.
    -- Subject: Unit openmediavault-engined.service has finished start-up
    -- Defined-By: systemd
    -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel
    --
    -- Unit openmediavault-engined.service has finished starting up.
    --
    -- The start-up result is done.
    Apr 04 12:58:26 openmediavault systemd[1]: openmediavault-engined.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=255/n/a
    Apr 04 12:58:26 openmediavault systemd[1]: Unit openmediavault-engined.service entered failed state.

Some more info:

root@openmediavault:~# cat /etc/passwd | grep openme
    openmediavault:x:999:999::/home/openmediavault:/bin/sh
    openmediavault-webgui:x:997:997:openmediavault WebGUI Management:/home/openmediavault-webgui:/usr/sbin/nologin

Code
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /etc/group | grep openme
    openmediavault-config:x:1002:openmediavault-webgui
    openmediavault-engined:x:998:openmediavault-webgui
    openmediavault-webgui:x:997:

Any suggestions?

Best regeards from sunny Berlin...

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!