Best device openmediavult ?

• I have an Odroid xu4 cloudshell 2 with openmediavault but i am not completely satisfied because I can read about that it has problems with UAS and it can provide data couroption when writing to the hard drive?

What is the best device for running openmediavault / a stable nas?

• I have an Odroid xu4 cloudshell 2 with openmediavault but i am not completely satisfied because I can read about that it has problems with UAS and it can provide data couroption when writing to the hard drive?

Wrt UAS I'm not sure what you mean but the used JMS561 controller inside the Cloudshell 2 should be UAS capable (you'd better check in Hardkernel's forum, maybe you need to apply a firmware update!).

Data corruption has been seen with Cloudshell 1 where tweaked settings are needed (see here). With Cloudshell 1 it's also pretty easy to run in underpowering problems (see here). And with both Cloudshells as well as any other USB accessed storage it's relatively easy to run in USB3 SuperSpeed contact/cable hassles (see my compilation of issues here). If you take care of these issues XU4 makes up for a nice and performant NAS (some more ARM variants I would recommend here)

• Thanks for reply !

I have 2 hardrives in my cloudshell 2 that in pm mode I have had trouble with the 2 disks being unmounted when I also have a disk in the usb 2.0 port but after i have removed the disk on the 2.0 port it has been running stable. I'm not Linux nerd but how do I make sure there are no hidden problems with the connection between the usb 3.0 port on my xu4 and cloudshell 2?

Can i run a"dmesg" in terminal and see if there are any problems there?

It does not unmount the hard drives anymore. and has been running stable for 14 days after the change.

I have updated the JMS561 controller with the latest firmware :)

• I'm not Linux nerd but how do I make sure there are no hidden problems with the connection between the usb 3.0 port on my xu4 and cloudshell 2?

Please see the picture of the USB3 receptacle here. The contact area for the SuperSpeed data line pins is laughable small and even bending slightly the cable can result in loss of contact. So I ended up with fixating USB cables with tape to ensure they're fully inserted and are not able to move any more. Kinda ugly but I don't care since all of my electronics stuff is hidden somewhere anyway.

And in case you run into troubles checking dmesg is always a good idea but you need some deep understanding (eg. 'uas abort handler' is not talking about an UAS problem but usually something that happens at one layer below just reported by the kernel's UAS driver: USB3 receptacle/cable crappiness or underpowering). Anyway: this is also somewhat OT here so better ask this stuff at https://forum.odroid.com (and pray that the right people answer ;) )

• Okay, thank you for the information, did you tape the underside of the USB connector so it goes tighter in the gate :)? It's nice to know, so I have the opportunity to do the same.

or did you just tap the cable so it can not move?

• or did you just tap the cable so it can not move?

I ended up with tape and some wooden pieces. I think you need to experiment yourself and see what's the best method to fixate the cable in a position where maximum contact area on the SuperSpeed data pins is ensured (the whole USB3-A connector is IMO a really crappy design, still hoping for USB-C everywhere)

• Okay :) - Is the problem that xu4 unmount hard disk if the connection is not good enough in the usb3 connector or may data corruption on the disk also occur if there is a bad connection? - Trying to understand what consequences it may have?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!