OpenMedia Vault (Installation)

• Hello Community, I just build my own NAS so far and I like to use OpenMedia Vault as operating system.
    I do of course have all data on that NAS, data, video and photos. But my question is now how I can get those data available in my network?

How do I feed DLNA and what about Plex, is there any chance to get Plex running on that system. I do have installed a SSD with 120 GB where I will install the OMV.

But I'm really interested in the Plex Server, maybe some of you do have that fixed?

best regards
    openalf

• Network: Windows - Samba / Linux: NFS / Apple: AFP
    DLNA available via the miniDLNA Plugin available in the unofficial plugin repository (you'll find it via the thread in my signature).
    Plex: Here

Greetings
    David

PS: If you would've looked a bit through the forums yourself you had find it yourself already.
    Also i moved you Thread to the installation forum.

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Hello Davidh2k,
    you are right I found already a lot of good information so far. The installation guide is fine.
    But I'm still in doubt about the installtion of Plex, as far as I understood OMV using the whole sdd for the installation. That's why I was wondering how I can install Plex as well. But of course I will give it a try.

regards
    openalf

• Plex will be installed to your System Disk. It stores all files on your System Disk.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• That sounds good so all the additional installation will be on the SSD.
    As mentioned before the installation guide is really good, but is there also a configuration tutorial anywhere?
    I couldn#t find that much about it.

The first steps are always the worst as I have to know how I setup the RAID.

What would you guys recommend if I have 3 HDD 2TB RAID 1 or RAID5, which setup does give me the highest security; in such cases where a HDD goes down?

regards
    openalf

• Offizieller Beitrag

3 hd raid 1 would allow two drives to fail without losing data but would waste the most space. 3 hd raid 5 would allow one drive to fail without losing data and should be faster than raid 1. Just remember, raid is not a backup. I would go with raid 5 and find a way to backup your data (cloud, dvd/bluray, another computer, friend, etc.)

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I see the backup is of course important, as I do have all my documents in the virtual world. Another computer makes sense if it's placed on another place. Maybe I have to consider to use Google Drive, but how do i got such data automatically transfered, is there any possibilty in the OMV? Could I e.g. use Google Drive or which cloud would you recommend? I also do have a external HDD with 2 TB, which I used as backup. But in case of fire I will be f*cked.

• Configure rsync jobs to remote server would suffice, e.g. get a vserver with some space maybe from http://www.lowendbox.com/ would be a nice selfmade backup solution, and of course it would be offsite.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

For backup... My way is pretty simple...

1 My NAS has two drives (no raid.. as it always gave me problems). Drive "A" is the main drive where I put new files, hold files for services, etc. I use rsync to mirror Drive "A" to Drive "B". I'm having some issues getting rsync to run automatically here recently (used to work fine)... so I've taken to just logging in and manually running the jobs. I do this at least every two days, but usually daily.

2. Once every week, maybe 2 weeks. I plug in and mount a USB drive, and use rsync to sync Drive "A" to the USB (which I guess would be Drive "C" in this case). When it's done I disconnect it and keep the USB drive at my parents house in a closet.

3. I keep my most critical items (which amounts to some documents, some family pics, etc.) in a free Ubuntu One account. This is the one part of my backup plan that is automatic. I have a couple of folders that automatically sync to my Ubuntu One account.

It's certainly not entirely automatic, and it's probably not practical for a lot of people. However, it works for me. My Mom's place is on my way to work, so I pick up/drop off on my way to/from work.. so I'm not going out of my way. I've got about 600gb of data I'd be pretty upset if I lost... and what I've come up with thus far, seems to cover all the bases.. and it's cost me nothing but the hardware.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, pick 0.4 and it will be an .iso file.

openmediavault_0.4_amd64.iso for 64 bit capable AMD or Intel systems

openmediavault_0.4_i386.iso fo 32 bit systems.

Write image to usb with win32diskimager or dd (on linux).

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

None. Just pick the Diskimage option, ISO from the dropdown, and find the iso file you downloaded. If you pick a distribution, it will download that one. OMV is not in the list last time I checked.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

Yes so far Open Media Vault is installed.
    What are the next steps, how to configure OpenMedia Vault?

First steps the RAID?
    Which file format should I choice?
    Then the users?

Well, first thing you need to do, is set up your storage drives to hold files. Note, make sure any data on the drives is backed up elsewhere... as these drives get formatted.

If you want a raid:
    Click Raid on the left
    Click Create
    Choose the raid type
    Choose the disks you want involved.
    Create the raid.

Depending on size, it might take quite some time for it to initialize. After it's done, go to "filesystems" Choose Create
    In the dropdown box, choose your RAID
    Select a filesystem (I always use ext3, but ext3 or ext4 would be my suggestion)
    Then select OK, and it will begin to format the drives to the desired file system. Again, depending on the size of the raid, this could take a while, so be patient.

• Actually I do have the following drives under storage:

/dev/sda = SDD operating system
    /dev/sdb
    /dev/sdc

If I go to RAID Management I only find Stripe, Mirror, Linear, Raid10, Raid 5 and Raid 6.
    For the moment I'm bit confused because I thought I should have a Raid 1 for 2 HDD.

Do I have tp wipe before I can get the RAID installed?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes. Drives have to be formatted to install a software raid. While all those other options (ie, 5, 6, 10, etc.) are there.. you're right. 2 drives, you would essentially be limited to raid 1(Edit 2: sorry, just realized this... Mirror=Raid 1).

Edit: You don't *have* to have a RAID... I had a lot of problems w/ software raid.. but I think it was my motherboard more than it was OMV. The raid would inexplicably, and several times a day, constantly break, and spend hours rebuilding itself. Finally, I decided to stop using the RAID, and I use each drive independently. For "backup"... I made some rsync jobs, to sync Drive B to Drive C. Once you get the hang of it and get it set up the way you want, you can automate the Rsync jobs to run a couple times a day, and pretty much, Drive C will always mirror Drive B.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!