OpenMedia Vault (Installation)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

Which filetype should I use xfs or ext4?

I'd recommend either ext3 or ext4. I typically always use ext3. Mainly, because that was the file system all my drives had when I installed OMV, and I didn't want to format them (migrated from Ubuntu server)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

I do have some PC's with Windows XP will the storage of doc files not give problems?

I don't really understand the question?

If you mean can the PC's access the files even though the drives are formatted as ext3 or ext4? Yes... The file system in that case, is irrelevant. SMB/CIFS will handle you being able to browse your files from Windows.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At home, my shares are public read only and read/write for one user (me). At work, I have different users for each employee. I set proper access to each share with privileges/ACL.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

At home, my shares are public read only and read/write for one user (me). At work, I have different users for each employee. I set proper access to each share with privileges/ACL.

Honestly, at home... My movies/music/pictures are setup for guest access. If they mount it, they have read/write. I'm actually considering making these folders read only, because a movie was accidentally deleted last week. I haven't tested yet, but I want to make sure they can still play the movies, listen to music, view the pics.. or I won't do it. I had another copy of it, so it wasn't a huge deal. It's the first time it's happened.. so it's not something I ever gave much thought. I don't want the others to have to use a username/password to log in to it though.... so I've gotta figure out the permissions.

I have a "Data" folder, which has important stuff in it (tax documents, a document that has pictures and serial #'s of all my firearms, as well as serial numbers for electronics, digital copies of some insurance policies, etc.). It's restricted to my user.

Each user has a protected home folder... which of course are set up per user (3)

• At home I use a read/write user to put data in the shared folders (e.g. Media with subfolders Movies, Music & TV). Then I have read only users that can be used to access data, if necessary, in folders which I allow it. With dlna you don't need this. My Media files don't require read only access to play with dlna but I still have the main Media folder read only for other users, in case someone wants to download a file. I don't use guest access for anything.

• I have three users - My Son, Visitors, Me.

I (Me = admin) have read/write for everything.
    My Son has R/W for his shares and R to my Music, Video, Pics share.
    Visitors have R to My Son's, Me - Music, Video, Pics shares. Yes they have to log in.

I'll admit to using the visitor log in when watching things through Plex and so forth. That way I don't do something stupid.

• I'm bit frustrated because I#m nt able to add any shared folder. I tried a couple of time but so far without success. When I try to add a shared folder I can't choice a volume. I haven't any clue whats wrong so far. I created a user profile but can't not add a shared folder. Any idea what it could be. I do have a Raid 1 setup

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you create a filesystem on the Raid 1 setup?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

I'm not sure because right now I lost the overview, where do I find that filesystem?

Creating a RAID is not difficult. What do you mean you "lost the overview". Not really sure where you're running into problems.

Follow these steps exactly, and you should have a working RAID. First, if you've already created a file system on your storage drives, you need to delete the file systems... So lets start from the top (keep in mind, any data on the drives in question will be deleted, but at this point, I doubt you have data on them)

So to start, lets make sure the drives are blank and have no file system.
    1. Log into the webUI
    2. Click on file systems
    3. I'm assuming you have file systems on the drives. Click each one, and and at the top, click delete. This will delete the file system on each drive.

After the file systems delete... All you have to do is create the RAID
    1. Click on "Raid Management" in the webUI
    2. Click Create
    3. Choose a "name" for your RAID(RAID names are pretty particular, no spaces, etc..)
    4. Select RAID level (you said you wanted a Raid1, so choose mirror)
    5. Select drives to be included in the RAID (They should appear at the bottom, simply put a check mark next to them)
    6. Click OK. The RAID will now begin to initialize. Again, if the raid is very large, this could take quite some time. You're just gonna have to wait it out.

After the RAID initializes, you need to create a file system on the RAID
    1. After the RAID initializes, click on Filesystems
    2. Click Create
    3. For "Device" choose your Software RAID
    4. Choose a file system and create the RAID. (ext3 or ext4 are most common)
    5. The file system will now be created on the RAID.
    6. Click OK, and the file system will begin to be created. Again, this could take some time,
    so just wait it out.
    7. When the file system creation completes, Click on the new RAID filesystem
    8. Choose "Mount" at the top.

Now, you need only add a "share" to your new RAID file system.
    1. Click on Shared folders
    2. Click Add
    3. Name the Share.
    4. Choose the drive you want the share stored on (if done correctly, your software raid should be able to be selected)
    5. Choose the path of the share. You have no other share, so you can just type the name of the share here.
    6. Set read/write permissions (for now, just set it to everyone so you can try to get it working)
    7. Click OK

After the share is created, you can now add the share to Services (SMB/CIFS, NFS, etc..)

• I lost the overview because I couldn't find out why I'm not able to choice one of the drives, but now I will follow your guide, thanks a lot KM0201 :-).
    It's not always that easy for me and by the way I also changed my other devices into Linux, I installed Ubuntu overall.

In that case I need NFS right? I would do the sync by Unison or does that not make sense?
    Finally one question about the security when I use the Weblogin, as far as I understood does it make sense to change from port 80 to port 443?

And one question on the end, shouldn't there be any users predefined because so far I don't habe any users under users. Not at all a ADMIN.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

I lost the overview because I couldn't find out why I'm not able to choice one of the drives, but now I will follow your guide, thanks a lot KM0201 :-).
    It's not always that easy for me and by the way I also changed my other devices into Linux, I installed Ubuntu overall.

In that case I need NFS right? I would do the sync by Unison or does that not make sense?
    Finally one question about the security when I use the Weblogin, as far as I understood does it make sense to change from port 80 to port 443?

And one question on the end, shouldn't there be any users predefined because so far I don't habe any users under users. Not at all a ADMIN.

Ubuntu is an excellent choice for learning Linux.

Usually on a new OMV install, the only "predefined" users are root and admin.. however neither of those show up in the OMV webUI.

I've never changed the port for the webUI login.. but to each his own I guess. If you want to, it shouldn't hurt anything. I can't think of any reason to do so, from a security standpoint, but I might be missing something.

As for NFS... You can use NFS if you want. I will tell you, SMB/CIFS, is easier to set up IMO. I only have Linux in my house, and I use SMB/CIFS. Ubuntu will mount a SMB/CIFS with no problems. Kinda funny you mentioned this, as I posted on this the other day. http://forums.openmediavault.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2108

Your mileage may vary though...

• Sure you can change the OMV Port to 443, but i don't know if you just want to change the port or do you really wan't to have the security of the port 443? Then activate SSl in the OMV Webinterface and force SSL connections. You need to setup a certificate under certificates first, tough.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• My final idea is that I can enter my NAS from each place where I do have LAN or WLAN. I'd like to reach all the media's from my Android but also from my Desktop and my Laptop. When I'm out for travelling I also like to get in contact with my NAS.

And of course really important is for me that I can store all my documents, I will start to scan all my incoming air mail so I don't need to keep the papers any more. That's why I'm bit concerned about the security; I tried yesterday to shift to 443 but then the system is aksking for a certificate. Again a new world for me.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!