OpenMedia Vault (Installation)

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

My final idea is that I can enter my NAS from each place where I do have LAN or WLAN. I'd like to reach all the media's from my Android but also from my Desktop and my Laptop. When I'm out for travelling I also like to get in contact with my NAS.

And of course really important is for me that I can store all my documents, I will start to scan all my incoming air mail so I don't need to keep the papers any more. That's why I'm bit concerned about the security; I tried yesterday to shift to 443 but then the system is aksking for a certificate. Again a new world for me.

Have you considered setting up a simple FTP server? If it's just some documents you may need to download/upload while away from the PC... that's the route I'd go.. rather than doing a bunch of stuff w/ the webUI (which won't really let you access documents anyway).

• Just go to
    System -> Certificates -> Add -> Create
    and fill out the form. After that you can activate SSL in the Webinterface and use the Certificate you just created.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Not for SSL/HTTPS. These SSL Certificates used are Server based. So no need to have more than one.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

Well what about the recording from a Dreambox to the NAS is that also possible, should I create a own user or isn't that a good idea?

I'm not aware of anyway to "record" anything with OMV. If you can do it with Linux somehow, then you should be able to do it with OMV. You might be getting outside the scope of what OMV is designed to do.

• I don't think he is out of scope, he just needs to use an smb share on his dreambox. Done

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "davidh2k"

I don't think he is out of scope, he just needs to use an smb share on his dreambox. Done

Greetings
    David

The way he explained it, I thought he wanted to use OMV to record TV.. not store recorded TV shows. If that's the case, then I'd agree... setting up an SMB share to store tv recordings, is a perfectly logical idea... and should be pretty easy.

• No Problem, sometimes i misunderstand things too.

Greetings
    David

• On the dreambox issue, I would create a special user and a special shared folder (then share via SMB/CIFS) on to which record your shows/movies.

I saw this on a website so you can mount a Samba share with Dreambox:

"Open your browser and enter the ip address of your dreambox into the address bar. This should bring up the web interface. To mount to a Samba share we have to use the web interface and not the remote menus.

Select CONFIG > MOUNT MANAGER > ADD

Fill in the settings to match your network

The User Name: will be the admin account on the NAS...usually admin.
    The Password: will be the admin password on the NAS...usually admin.
    (I would advise changing this in the NAS web interface to something other than admin)
    If you have given the Recordings folder a password of it's own, you will need to use this in the mount settings.

Select Save.

Click Mount and if all is correct a GREEN tick should appear. This can take about 10 seconds to mount.

* To start direct recording, select Start Direct Recording from the Blue Button menu.

This may vary depending on what image you are using.

* To stop direct recording, select Stop Direct Recording from the Blue Button menu.

Check your shared folder on the NAS and hopefully you should have a recording."

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "openalf"

I see in the webinterface that I also do have the possibility to send mail to a account of my choice, but how can I send it to a Gmail account? Is there any chance?

Yes, you can use a gmail account. Just plug in your gmail credentials.

Just be prepared for the onslaught of email it's going to send you. I know Volker made some efforts to reduce the volume of mail it sends you.. but it sends quite a bit.

• Hello,

as I have a long weekend I had time to get the NAS build up so far. I was successful with the RAID so far.
    Just tried to get the Shared folder running but I can't because the system is always asking for a path. When pressing the little icon a new window appear. And I'm able to choose lost+found.

In my opinion I only should name the folder ans that's it.

• Concerning the users I'm still in doubt, how is the best structure?

1.) Admin
    2.) User 1
    3.) User 2
    4.) Dreambox

But for what reason do I have to use the groups then?

You also mentioned if I want it in the root, what is the best to do? I have Movie, Photo and Music. The documents I thinks makes sense to get under the user profile or is this some missunderstanding?

• You don't need to bother about the groups if you only use individual users.
    e.g.:
    You create individual shares for each of your (dummy) users

Zitat

"/media/dev-UUID/"admin
    "/media/dev-UUID/"user1
    "/media/dev-UUID/"user2
    "/media/dev-UUID/"dreambox

Changed /shares/ to "/media/dev-UUID/" - You don't create the shares that way!! It was just used as a hint!!

So you setup each user and give them read/write rights to there respective shares.

Maybe you want to setup your Media too so you create the following directorys:

Zitat

"/media/dev-UUID/"Movies
    "/media/dev-UUID/"Photos
    "/media/dev-UUID/"Music
    "/media/dev-UUID/"Uploadfolder

After that you setup that, user1, user2 and mabye dreambox can read from ALL these shares. You could also make them public with READ ONLY. Your admin accounts gets read+write priviliges. (Edit: Of course you make the "uploadfolder" writeable for ALL USERS).

There are many different ways to setup your shares. Some seem to be more usefull for some people - like i have setup all shares individual on my raid but have a folder with symlinks so that I only have to mount one share and simply have access to all shares ( :geek: ).
    You practically can do nothing wrong with it except that you give some users permission to more folders that he should have, but i think you get used to it really quick.

Greetings
    David

• When you create a user in the OMV web-gui it is automatically part of the users group. The shared folders you create in the web-gui are by default root:users. When you give rights to users in Access Rights Management/Privileges (read/write, read, or none) that is what will give them access to the folders in question by being a member of the users group.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!