Is OMV 4.x stable?

• Hi Ryecoaaron and or other moderators I see some of you are running OMV 4.015 . Now is omv4 in stable release or not as the online info seems to be a bit dated with discussions dating back to sept / oct 2017 being the latest comments I can find, but when you go to the changelogs linked on GitHub (se below ) for 4.014 says stable as part of the reference tag so is that correct it is in stable release ?
    -- Volker Theile <volker.theile@openmediavault.org> Sat, 02 Dec 2017 13:54:19 +0100
    openmediavault (4.0.14-1) stable; urgency=low
    * Various improvements.
    * Improve internal bond interface management.
    * Get rid of netstat

its all a bit confusing especially when you click on the documentation link and goes to an empty page. all Kudos and many thanks to Volker for creating and maintaining this good product but who is meant to be filling in the documentation page on the omv home site ?

I am just at the point of rebuilding my NAS server from scratch starting with empty drives and would like to go to omv 4 if its actually stable.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It hasn't been officially declared as stable but it is very stable for me and others. Depends on the plugins you use as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It hasn't been officially declared as stable but it is very stable for me and others. Depends on the plugins you use as well.

Is OMV 4.x in a "beta" state where features are frozen?

I always enjoyed new features/improvements from newer kernels and I would also want OMV 4.x on my J3455 board.

• Well i just did a fresh install of omv 4 and after updates, i tried to install the plugins openmediavault-nut 4.0.9-1

I get this error

TL;DR => openmediavault-nut : Depends: nut but it is not installable

EDIT: I found the solution, while i installed the OS from the iso, i was not connected on internet so the main package was not added in /etc/apt/sources.list. Sorry about that.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von jeff1326 () aus folgendem Grund: Found solution

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is OMV 4.x in a "beta" state where features are frozen?

Even stable versions of OMV gain features so I would say it is past beta

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I noticed that OMV 4.x is now denoted as "stable" in forum. But I don't see any anouncement neither on the website nor in forum. The openmediavault.org news say that version 3.0.99 is new and the download page at sourceforge says that 3.0.94 is the latest version. Whats going on guys? If its true that 4.x is final, would you please publish some kind of official statement? Or if I'm just blind, please point me to the right location! ;)

• I suspect this is imminent; if you're on the main page and go to About > Features, first thing on the list under Core is "Debian Linux (Stretch) OS".

I'm contemplating the upgrade because I'd really like to be on Stretch, but there's still a few plugins that don't appear to have been updated yet that I'm currently using.

• I'm contemplating the upgrade because I'd really like to be on Stretch, but there's still a few plugins that don't appear to have been updated yet that I'm currently using.

Depending what those plugins are, they might never be updated. If you are waiting for things that are in the Downloaders section, don't hold your breath ;)

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Apparently it also depends greatly on what is meant by updated, since there's a ton of stuff in the Arrakis repos for 4.x on omv-extras.org that have 3.x version numbering.

Yeah, downloaders are one of the things but mostly because I'm lazy; I can get all of them in docker format without issue. But what about stuff like UrBackup? Is that actually updated? If so, why the 3.x version number? Is it something that "just works" with the 3.x plugin under Arrakis? (Note: UrBackup could be a deal-breaker for me. Don't know if I can transfer all the backups that currently exist to a container.)

What about sensors? Nice to have but not necessary; I did like the graphs that were made available though. Teamspeak and Mumble? Not for me, but I know someone who's using Teamspeak plugin.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Apparently it also depends greatly on what is meant by updated, since there's a ton of stuff in the Arrakis repos for 4.x on omv-extras.org that have 3.x version numbering.

Yeah, downloaders are one of the things but mostly because I'm lazy; I can get all of them in docker format without issue. But what about stuff like UrBackup? Is that actually updated? If so, why the 3.x version number? Is it something that "just works" with the 3.x plugin under Arrakis? (Note: UrBackup could be a deal-breaker for me. Don't know if I can transfer all the backups that currently exist to a container.)

Yes, when a plugin still has a 3.x version in OMV 4.x, it means it didn't need to change for OMV 4.x. This is good for OMV 3.x users since I don't have to maintain two versions.

What about sensors?

It hasn't been ported but I think @jhmiller is going to port it.

Teamspeak and Mumble? Not for me, but I know someone who's using Teamspeak plugin.

After a quick look, the mumble plugin doesn't seem to have any code that won't work on OMV 4.x. I would try it. If it works, I will put it in the OMV 4.x repo.

teamspeak on the other hand has php version specific code in it. So, it won't work on OMV 4.x. There is a docker available for it though.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• Apparently it also depends greatly on what is meant by updated, since there's a ton of stuff in the Arrakis repos for 4.x on omv-extras.org that have 3.x version numbering.

What about sensors? Nice to have but not necessary; I did like the graphs that were made available though. Teamspeak and Mumble? Not for me, but I know someone who's using Teamspeak plugin.

UrBackup is working fine. I just built an OMV 4 rig and installed UrBackup and have been backing up a couple of systems already.

All the cool kids use Discord these days, Teamspeak is so 2000's :P

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• Offizieller Beitrag

But what about stuff like UrBackup?

UrBackup is working fine. I just built an OMV 4 rig and installed UrBackup and have been backing up a couple of systems already.

I also use it on OMV 4.x.

• I can confirm, UrBackup plugin works fine with OMV v4.x

Lian Li PC-V354 (with Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans)
    ASRock Rack x470D4U | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Crucial 16GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC | Intel x550T2 10Gb NIC

1 x ADATA 8200 Pro 256MB NVMe for System/Caches/Logs/Downloads
    5 x Western Digital 10To HDD in RAID 6 for Datas
    1 x Western Digital 2To HDD for Backups