Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 (CM3)

• Has anyone successfully installed OMV on the Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3 (CM3)?

I wanted to set up a small, battery operated, OMV instance to use as a teaching tool and had an extra CM3 handy. Since its for instruction only, the RPi's shortcomings as a NAS shouldn't be an issue. But, my CM dock is designed to be headless (no video output), so I can't see what's happening during the install.

I'm able to successfully flash the ISO onto the soldered on eMMC. But, but when I restart in "run" mode, it never seems to come up properly, even after hours. The eMMC is only 4GB, but I've successfully installed the same image on a 4GB micro-SD using a regular Pi 3 as a test, so I don't think that's necessarily the issue.

The Compute Module dock has an on/off switch though, and I'm not sure if that prevents the necessary restart?

Anyone with experience, your wisdom would be much appreciated!

• The iso’s are installers meant to be used for x86 pc. You should pick the special rpi images especially built for the boards. Unless by iso you mean the rpi images.

Maybe @tkaiser can help in this

OOPs! Thanks for the correction, I did mean an RPi image, rather than an ISO. OMV_3_0_88_RaspberryPi_2_3_4.9.41.img specifically.

• my CM dock is designed to be headless (no video output), so I can't see what's happening during the install

Then use a serial console and if it's designed to not expose this better stop the whole idea now. Where's the point in installing OMV on such crappy hardware that does not even has Ethernet?

The current RPi image requires network/internet access on first boot, the laughable Raspberry Pi platform is based on a SoC that has no networking capabilities so there's the need for some USB-Ethernet adapter available on an USB bus with a driver active and working.

Variants known to work are the Ethernet chip inside the LAN9514 (that's what's sitting on all normal Raspberries) and RTL8153. No idea about everything else. It's really not worth a single second being wasted on such a questionable platform like CM3 + some dock.

If you want such a battery powered teaching tool I would grab an Olimex Lime2 + one of Olimex' LiPo batteries.

• If you want such a battery powered teaching tool I would grab an Olimex Lime2 + one of Olimex' LiPo batteries.

Thanks. The CM Dock has a LAN9513 chip. Yes, lots of other hardware would be better. Sadly, the Education community where I am has embraced the RPi. So I thought I'd try to work with what I was given to use first, and buy extra hardware out of pocket only if necessary. Looks like it may be necessary, serial console on the Pi needs to be configured, and to do that I need to have access to the OS!

• serial console on the Pi needs to be configured, and to do that I need to have access to the OS!

I don't think so since serial console on a Raspberry Pi is controlled (like almost everything else) by the primary operating system running on the VideoCore IV (the euphemistically called 'firmware' controlling everything including the secondary operating system running on the ARM cores -- it's always funny hearing Raspberry Pi fanbois babbling about open source while they use devices where a totally proprietary OS without any provided source code controls the whole platform).

It should be sufficient to check/modify /boot/config.txt: https://www.raspberrypi.org/fo…ewtopic.php?f=28&t=141195

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!