Do you install OMV on Debian with a GUI? Problems with DNS / Network disconnecting? Use NetworkManager? Read this.

• A friend of mine took my advice and started to use OMV recently. Like me, he wanted to have a full DE to work with. The easiest way to do this (for me at least, and thus he took the same path) is to install Debian 8 (Jessie), then add OMV 3 repos and install. I think this method is quite popular and it's certainly my go to method of install.

He was having some weird occasional net disconnection issues that we couldn't quite figure out. If you left the box alone to do it's thing (Plex and Samba) it would run for weeks for the most part. But as soon as you tried to VNC or TeamViewer into it, it would disconnect and throw a fit. We initially thought it was just TeamViewer disconnecting, then someone suggested it could be an Avahi issue, but it wasn't.

The problems experienced were:

1. Random network disconnects - no ping from router
    2. Network disconnects triggered by TeamViewer or VNC connection/disconnection (this is what highlighted the problem)
    3. Other net disconnection issues, but oddly, no issues with normal resolving when the net was up and running ie. browsing the net or fetching updates

The problems seemed to be more of a network failing issue rather than that of a DNS issue, so it threw us off for a bit. However, it turns out this is a Debian installation Network/NetworkManager bug that causes DNS to be incorrectly configured. I've not come across it before because I don't use NetworkManager, but NetworkManager is installed by default in Debian 8 when installing a GUI. If you opt to keep NetworkManager and use it, you should check this.

If you just use the OMV 3 installation image, you will not have this problem, as NetworkManager is not installed.

Indeed, NetworkManager is NOT required and if you're connecting via ethernet (which you should be in 99% of cases) it's better to use /etc/network/interfaces which can be managed via OMV.

However, installing Debain 8 with a DE and thus NetworkManager by default triggers this bug. It is the result of the switch from dnsmasq to resolvconf and for some reason, Network Manager is still being configured to use dnsmasq. NetworkManager should also ignore anything specified in /etc/network/interfaces so if using OMV to configure or manually configuring yourself, you probably haven't come across this. If using dnsmasq, you also probably have no need for this info.

However, if you install Debian Jessie, connect to the net using NetworkManager, then add OMV repos and install (as was the case here), you might need to check your conf file.

You have 2 options at this point:

1. Correct the erroneous conf file and keep using NetworkManager

2. Remove NetworkManager - network manager is not needed if you are only using Ethernet. It doesn't have a squeaky clean history of solid network connections, and is best avoided in a server environment. If you're only using Ethernet, consider ditching it

So:

1. Correct the erroneous conf file:

Open a terminal and get root privs:

Code
    sudo -s

Then open the NetworkManager configuration file for editing:

Code
    nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

You are looking for an entry here that might be obvious now - it's dns=dnsmasq. Yup, NetworkManager is trying to use dnsmasq, but it's not installed.

Change it to dns=default

You should also change managed to true, as shown to give NetworkManager full control over interfaces.

Now press Control-X then 'Y' then [Enter] to save.

Now you can either:

Code
    reboot now

Or if you don't want / can't do this, restart NetworkManager and Networking:

Code
    systemctl restart NetworkManager.service && systemctl restart networking.service

2. Remove NetworkManager and use OMV to configure network interfaces (preferred)

In a terminal:

Get root privs:

Code
    sudo -s

Remove NetworkManager:

Code
    apt-get remove --purge network-manager

Now run OMV first aid to get you on the net:

Code
    omv-firstaid

Run through the steps in option 1 to get you up and running on the net.

Now use the OMV interface to change any required settings.

Done :) Hope this was helpful and avoids any premature bald patches. As a side note, anyone who also runs Ubuntu 16.04 or any of its flavours that come with a full DE, you also need to check this. The bug was taken from Jessie and NOT fixed by the Ubuntu team either. Confirmed this in a VM. Apparently this has been fixed in Stretch so fresh installs of OMV 4 on Debian 9 should not have this issue. Same applies to the newer Ubuntu's based on Stretch.

I hope this is helpful. :)

Further reading:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=740998
    https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-debian-dns-resolv

https://askubuntu.com/question…grading-to-ubuntu-13-10-s

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von ellnic () aus folgendem Grund: Additional options for fix. Added removing NetworkManager

• Offizieller Beitrag

I may be a bit biased since I despise networkmanager but I highly recommend not using it because it will conflict with the OMV network tab. Even when using a desktop environment (yuck), you don't need networkmanager.

The only place networkmanager is nice is with wireless. If you are using OMV, a desktop environment, AND wireless, you really need to reconsider your choices :).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

It's possible others will run into this if they install on Debian so thought I would post.

It was a good post :) I was just trying to help reinforce the idea that people don't need networkmanager when running a DE.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!