[solved] PM-Utils with Autoshutdown

• Please use the openmediavault-autoshutdown package >= 0.5.19!
    In this package you can select, what to do: shutdown, hibernate, suspend

The guide below is for OMV 0.4
    edited by Solo0815
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Folks,

I have autoshutdown (ASD) working but would really like to have wake on lan (WOL).

As one thread suggested, I SSH'ed into OMV and tried the command pm-hibernate from the CLI and was told it could not be found. So I guess I do not have PM-Utils installed.

I've read through the plugins and tutorials and must be blind in one eye and can't see out of the other as I could not find a source for and how to install PM-Utils.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• I use autoshutdown and don't have pm-hibernate enabled. WOL works, too. Why you need to hibernate for WOL?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• If I use autoshutdown the OMV system shuts down completely, the only way to wake it is with the power button. Not what I was wanting.

So with the pm-hibernate it should work much like a laptop when the lid is closed.

As the ASD readme states...
    SHUTDOWNCOMMAND
    If you don't want to shutdown your PC, but go in hibernate/suspend: Define the command here
    If nothing is defined, it shuts down with "shutdown -h now"

# SHUTDOWNCOMMAND="pm-hibernate" => puts the PC in hibernate-mode
    # SHUTDOWNCOMMAND="pm-suspend" => puts the PC in suspend-mode
    # SHUTDOWNCOMMAND="shutdown -h +5" => shuts the PC down 5 min after shutdown-command
    For more information and how to set up hibernate and suspend, look here:
    http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend
    http://wiki.debian.org/Hibernation
    I have read http://wiki.debian.org/Hibernation and read http://pm-utils.freedesktop.org/wiki/ and am still not exactly sure what I am to be doing. So I am back to learning how to walk as it were.

• Zitat

If nothing is defined, it shuts down with "shutdown -h now"

And i can still WOL from HALT...

Greetings
    David

Edit: My Network interfaces, i needed to configure the wol g function...

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• install pm-utils with "apt-get install pm-utils"
    Then set it up (see the links you posted above) and test the hibernate/suspend functions. If this works, ASD should too ;) even with WOL

• @Solo815

Thanks for the reply, the system now does hibernate. Which is good, though I now have to figure out how to wake it up. So now it's my turn to work this for a while.

davidh2k

I will look at what you suggested as well. And thank you for your response.

Now I have two ways to work this thing. Though it will take me some time.

• No problem, glad if i can help.

Greetings
    David

• Found out that my Win 7 box was not responding to ping. Used Putty to SSH into OMV and sent a ping to my Win 7 box. And got nothing!

So I DuckDuckGo'ed (searched) and found this http://www.sysprobs.com/enable-ping-reply-windows-7

So Win 7 blocks ping, I changed step 6 in the above to only have Win 7 respond to a ping from my OMV box.

Ping is what ASD uses to find connected systems. No ping response equals no connected system and ASD shutdowns OMV. Allowing Win 7 to respond to ping is important for ASD to work, particularly if Win 7 is the only system online with OMV.

I also think I have a bad power supply in my OMV box as it completely shuts down with both hibernate and suspend. Even though I tell the BIOS otherwise. No blinking power LED and the NIC LED's go out as well.

• And now think that you don't want to shutdown your NAS when you are using it with your Raspberry Pi, but let it shutdown when you no longer watch something with it... ^^
    Use Service Ports instead of IPs, the only downside is if you use smb shares as a network drive it won't shutdown, but i guess that won't be your problem.

Greetings
    David

• I have yet to get the WOL portion to work, which is a work in progress. Bad power supply I believe.

I can see how ASD could save a few cents particularly with the ability to selectively ping individual devices, or range of devices. This idea is based on the devices getting a static IP from the router or themselves.

OK so if I use a Pi to serve my Smart TV, from my OMV box. Odd I realize but lets go with it. I really do not need ASD to ping the Pi, just the TV. If I turn off the TV (mine anyway) it's NIC gets turned off as well. So if I was tired and turned off the TV and went to bed, ASD would shutdown OMV, and well the Pi would just sit there.

Ports do have a role to play as well. It is good to have both options available and I'm glad the devs of ASD provided those options

• Zitat von "DaveVM"

I
    OK so if I use a Pi to serve my Smart TV, from my OMV box. Odd I realize but lets go with it. I really do not need ASD to ping the Pi, just the TV. If I turn off the TV (mine anyway) it's NIC gets turned off as well. So if I was tired and turned off the TV and went to bed, ASD would shutdown OMV, and well the Pi would just sit there.

Ports do have a role to play as well. It is good to have both options available and I'm glad the devs of ASD provided those options

Neither do I have a smart TV nor does DLNA serves my needs. Also I no longer have LAN attached to my TV (had it before, and while it was, i had ASD assigned to ping for IPs).
    DLNA does not support a bunch of things, like good forwarding and backwarding (Problem of Samsung TVs), changing Audio etc.

And yes, it is good that ASD provides both options.

Greetings
    David

• Hallo,
    habe nun OMV 0.5.
    Ich möchte pm-hibernate nutzen.
    Die pm-utils habe ich installiert.
    Wenn ich nun pm-hibernate in der CLI eingebe, scheint es, als ob auf die Platte geschrieben wird und der Rechner geht aus (S4).
    Über WOL oder Taste lässt er sich wieder wecken.
    Aber er startet ganz normal, wie wenn er runtergfahren worden wäre.
    Muss man für hibernate noch etwas in pm-utils konfigurieren?
    Wenn ja, was?
    Grüße,
    Carsten

• Wir sind an einer neuen Version dran. Aktuell funktioniert openmediavault-autoshutdown 0.5.18 noch nicht richtig. Kannst du aber mal versuchen.
    Nach dem installieren, bitte

Code
    update-rc.d -f autoshutdown remove
    update-rc.d autoshutdown defaults

eingeben, dann die Einstellungen in der GUI machen. Hier findest du einen neuen Punkt : herunterfahren, suspend, hibernate
    Stelle alles so ein, wie du es brauchst, dann speichern und anwenden.
    Jetzt bitte den Server über die GUI neustarten, sonst funktioniert autoshutdown nicht!

Mit >= 0.5.19 sollte es aber wieder gehen.

PS: Ich habe den Titel auf [solved] gesetzt, weil wir das jetzt in 0.5 drin haben.

• Hi,
    sorry wenn ich nochmal dazu poste.
    Habe das genacht, aber trotzem startet das System wie beim Kaltstart.
    Oder ist das evtl. richtig so?
    Die 0.5.19 ist wie zu beziehen? ODer ist die noch nicht fertig?
    Grüße,
    Carsten

• Wenn du es runtergefahren hast, ist es ganz normal
    Was hast du denn als Modus in der GUI eingestellt? Wenn du Änderungen gemacht hast, bitte immer neu starten.

Ja, die .19 ist noch nicht draussen

• In der GUI Auswahl Hibernate. Speichern, Übernehmen.
    Anschließend Neustart über die GUI.
    Dann abgewartet. System fährt nach 5 Minuten plus cycles in den Hibernate.
    Bildschirm wird schwarz, oben links blinkt der Curser. Computer schaltet ab.
    Aufwecken mit Taste, fährt hoch, Bios, Bootmenü, Laden. Normal sollte aus dem Hibernate doch nicht wieder alles geladen werden, oder?
    Muss man evtl. noch etwas konfigurieren, sowas wie eine Date für den Hibernate?
    Grüße und Danke,
    Carsten

• Alles nicht, aber es wird der komplette Inhalt des Arbeitsspeichers auf HDD geschrieben: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhezustand

bitte mal "cat /etc/autoshutdown.conf"
    schau mal ins log, welcher Befehl ausgeführt wird

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!