Install a different kernel other than 4.9 backport?

• Currently it looks like the only options for Kernels I can run are the Debian 3.16 kernel and the 4.9 Backports kernel. There's supposedly known problems with mergerfs/fusefs and the 4.9 kernel. Is there any way I can install a kernel besides 4.9 without having to build it from source?

I rebooted my NAS the other day (after running non stop for I have no clue how long) and for some reason it booted to the 4.9 kernel even though I thought I had it defaulted to 3.16.

• I ran OMV 3.x with the 4.9 Backports kernel and mergerfs/fuse for quite some time before upgrading to OMV 4.x. I didn't notice any problems. What mergerfs/fuse problems are you having?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I ran OMV 3.x with the 4.9 Backports kernel and mergerfs/fuse for quite some time before upgrading to OMV 4.x. I didn't notice any problems. What mergerfs/fuse problems are you having?

I haven't run into any issues yet. I've only run it about 3 days on that kernel until I noticed I was running it (due to a different issue I thought was related to the kernel, but wasn't). Only reason I was concerned is because the github page (as well as a bug tracker) shows that there's a known issue with 4.9 that causes crashes in mergerfs and fusefs. It's one of the main reasons I stayed on the older kernel.

• I found these two in my /var/cache/apt/archives:

linux-image-4.14.0-0.bpo.2-amd64_4.14.7-1~bpo9+1_amd64.deb
    linux-image-amd64_4.14+88~bpo9+1_amd64.deb

You should be able to find them out there somewhere. But I have no idea what will happen if you try to install on OMV 3.x

I'm on OMV 4 now and am still running the 4.9 bpo kernel, and still haven't noticed any mergerfs problems.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Interesting. Alright if anything I'll give it a try for a week or more and see if anything comes up. The only thing I know switching between the two kernels screws with is Docker (one kernel you need to use AUFS, the other Overlay2 and you basically have to rebuild your containers between the two).

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!