OMV on Proxmox

• like @ryecoaaron mentionned somewhere someday

he use OMV on Proxmox
    after reviewing HowTo install KVM on OMV
    [HowTo] Run OMV as a KVM/qemu/libvirt host

than messing around with ZFS, than ... I will omit few details ...
    I reinstall, ...,again,... my devserver with Proxmox than, why not OMV in a unprivileged LXC.
    I have mostly container with docker in a VM and few local services (offer through LXC) who needs to have access to different data which are shared on the local networks

My questions are;

Where to put my data ?
    inside a virtual disk or directly on the proxmox and mapping them by the magic of LXC (which I did few test and it sound good).

I would like to here about your setup ideally OMV on Proxmox
    1' It is via KVM or a LXC ?
    2' How to manage your data ?
    3' and your backup ?
    4' How do you share the data between OMV and others instance ?
    5' Are they mostly LXC or KVM ?
    6' If you had to rebuid what you will do differently ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I reinstall, ...,again,... my devserver with Proxmox than, why not OMV in a unprivileged LXC

1' It is via KVM or a LXC ?

via KVM, the lack of block device support in lxc is PITA, forget about it, i'll mention it again forget about it. OMV will not let you pick a folder an share it, is hard coded to use a block device to create shared folder from their root. Unless you don't want disks and use the remote mount plugin an export nfs via proxmox

2' How to manage your data ?

Whatever suits you, you can pass a zvol, a whole disk, raw qemu disk, lvm....the list goes on, is not like pve doesn't give you options. I use full disk pass through with main data disk. I have dual lvm virtual disks used as zfs mirror in omv just for mysql and another 25GB virtual disk lvm just for rootfs

4' How do you share the data between OMV and others instance ?

Plenty of options there, just look at the service section in omv.

5' Are they mostly LXC or KVM ?

Don't understand the question

6' If you had to rebuid what you will do differently ?

If i had money i would buy maybe 4x512GB ssd to use as zfs storage backend in proxmox. Seems zfs is more practical specially using snapshots and zvols

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!